Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Ban for 5 years to re-entry US!!HELP

Ban for 5 years to re-entry US!!HELP

Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ban for 5 years to re-entry US!!HELP

Originally Posted by Boiler
Could have been more sanctimonious, but do not wish to be tarred with Pulaski feathers.
And you know - I was still wrong. It's a 3-year ban for 6-12 months' overstay, and 10-year ban for more than 12 months' overstay.

Okay - time to go home and go to bed. I'm useless today!

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
And you know - I was still wrong. It's a 3-year ban for 6-12 months' overstay, and 10-year ban for more than 12 months' overstay.

Okay - time to go home and go to bed. I'm useless today!

Ian
Or is get out of bed and go home?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:47 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The 217 notation in the passport indicates a VWP refusal. A VWP refusal, by itself, doesn't result in a bar because it's not a removal. Any such bar would be the result of an overstay or other violation which doesn't appear to have happened here. The Form I-877 also indicates that it wasn't a removal order because statements for an expedited removal aren't completed on an I-877.

The only other thing I can think of that would result in a bar from reentry (other than requiring a visa) would be if the traveler misrepresented a material fact in the attempt at entry. Persistently claiming to be just visiting and not working when actually working as a tutor could have brought on an immigration fraud ground of inadmissibility. A waiver could be required to overcome that. Fraud/Misrepresentation is a perpetual bar and not 5 years if that happened. Check for "6C" notations in the passport.

I'm not impressed by the attorney's guidance thus far if the attorney claimed there was a 5yr bar. Such an assertion doesn't indicate a knowledge of the law at a level where one should be charging money to people for services.

So getting the statement would be helpful to see what was covered. Of course, a visa application could help get the information. The consulate would likely provide a letter telling the applicant of that ineligibility if it exists.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maole
They wrote on my passport: refused 217.4(a)
Something is missing. What else is there that would entail a five year ban? It sure is not a "refuse 217.4(a)."

Absent complete information, no once can really give you an accurate answer.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
The 217 notation in the passport indicates a VWP refusal. A VWP refusal, by itself, doesn't result in a bar because it's not a removal. Any such bar would be the result of an overstay or other violation which doesn't appear to have happened here. The Form I-877 also indicates that it wasn't a removal order because statements for an expedited removal aren't completed on an I-877.

The only other thing I can think of that would result in a bar from reentry (other than requiring a visa) would be if the traveler misrepresented a material fact in the attempt at entry. Persistently claiming to be just visiting and not working when actually working as a tutor could have brought on an immigration fraud ground of inadmissibility. A waiver could be required to overcome that. Fraud/Misrepresentation is a perpetual bar and not 5 years if that happened. Check for "6C" notations in the passport.

I'm not impressed by the attorney's guidance thus far if the attorney claimed there was a 5yr bar. Such an assertion doesn't indicate a knowledge of the law at a level where one should be charging money to people for services.

So getting the statement would be helpful to see what was covered. Of course, a visa application could help get the information. The consulate would likely provide a letter telling the applicant of that ineligibility if it exists.
Even if there was a misrepresentation finding [212(a)(6)(C)], that does NOT have a five year limit on it.

OP's story does not hang together. I tend to think she failed to mention the 217.4(a) notation when she consulted with the lawyer. When I was in practice, I always wanted to see the paperwork. Many lawyers just trust what their client tells them.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
.... Many lawyers just trust what their client tells them.
That seems intuitively wrong. I don't trust anyone.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

maole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nice

Something is missing. What else is there that would entail a five year ban? It sure is not a "refuse 217.4(a)."

Absent complete information, no once can really give you an accurate answer.
The only thing I got after the interrogatory which I signed but they didn't want to give me a copy, was this : 217.4 (a) and nothing else. I don't know how the lawyers know that I got a 5 years ban just looking at that code, I have no idea about laws! The lawyer said that she's gonna start a FOIA with CBP and USCIS and something about a G28.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

maole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nice

Even if there was a misrepresentation finding [212(a)(6)(C)], that does NOT have a five year limit on it.

OP's story does not hang together. I tend to think she failed to mention the 217.4(a) notation when she consulted with the lawyer. When I was in practice, I always wanted to see the paperwork. Many lawyers just trust what their client tells them.
The first thing she got from me was a copy of my passport and on the last page the wrote this code: 217. 4(a) and she asked if I got my statement, which I didn't get from them bc they refused to give it to me. Based on this code and that I admitted that I work being under the ESTA (I didn't lie because they saw the messages on my cell phone) she told me that I got this 5 years ban
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:20 am
Account Closed

The lawyer said that she's gonna start a FOIA with CBP and USCIS and something about a G28.
Did the lawyer tell you how long these take?
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how the lawyers know that I got a 5 years ban just looking at that code...
She could not have made that determination just by looking at the code. Even Mr. Folinsky seems agree with that - and he is an experienced immigration attorney. So, the only sensible conclusion is that she lied to you... either deliberately or because she didn't know any better. Either way, do not contact this lawyer again... it seems that all she wants is your money.

I have no idea about laws!
Apparently, neither does she!

The lawyer said that she's gonna start a FOIA with CBP and USCIS and something about a G28.
Do not give this person any money. The G-28 gives her the authority to represent you, and you do not want this to happen. Find someone else... but not this person. Do not sign the G-28; do not give her any money.

Ian
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Did the lawyer tell you how long these take?
No, she didn't .
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:25 am
Account Closed

When do you expect your visa interview?
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

When do you expect your visa interview?
I would start the job in August and I would call the embassy in June or earlier to make the appointment. you only get an appointment after calling them and giving your Visa card number so that they charge about 190 euros or more , I'm not sure how much.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Thx Ian!
I will not ! I am going to look for another opinion, I'm just confused and overwhelmed. I just think she wants me to sign that G28 because in December last year I tried to get my record of incident by myself and two months later I got a letter from USCIS telling me that they couldn't do it. I will post tomorrow this long letter . Maybe someone could help me to understand this English .
Apparently you need a lawyer to get it back
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

When you were denied entry you should have been provided with an I-877, you can request a copy though, so you don't need a lawyer for that. It should explain exactly why you were denied entry and any implications. I'm surprised you weren't given any paperwork, did they make you sign anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.