ballpark costs?

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:04 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default ballpark costs?

Hi - as many of you know I have recently arrived as an L2. I am in the prosess of applying for EAD but will need to make a decision at some point whether to remain a stay at home mum, go back to work (full or part time), or do something else. I am toying with the idea of studying. I would obviously do this from home - but wondered what the general fees are for Uni courses over here? anyone got any ball park figures (OSU would be a likely option if that makes any difference)? I do have an English Bsc (2i) - so its studying for enjoyment or for a a future career alternative.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:23 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ballpark costs?

I'd recommend contacting the registrar if not the financial aid department. They should be able to give you a cost-per-credit hour figure as well as other expenses. Something tells me that you already have a place so you won't have to worry about room and board. You probably won't have to worry about a meal ticket either. Just tuition and books.

Go here for more information.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Hi - as many of you know I have recently arrived as an L2. I am in the prosess of applying for EAD but will need to make a decision at some point whether to remain a stay at home mum, go back to work (full or part time), or do something else. I am toying with the idea of studying. I would obviously do this from home - but wondered what the general fees are for Uni courses over here? anyone got any ball park figures (OSU would be a likely option if that makes any difference)? I do have an English Bsc (2i) - so its studying for enjoyment or for a a future career alternative.
why don't you just call OSU and ask?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:25 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Now that's what I call a smart reply and totally lacking in verbosity (for example of verbosity see my initial reply ).
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Or look on their website http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourwe...nFeeTables.htm

FYI American universities charge (normally) by the credit hour up to full time status (which is 12 or 13 hours), whereupon you pay a flat fee. So if you can fit in more than 12 hours (normally 3-4 classes) you can save money.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I just wanted to know a ballpark. If you said $300 then i would know i could easily afford it and go take a more considered look. If you said $300k then i would have saved my time! As i suspect the cost is fairly high - i was trying to save myself time.

Thanks for the links- will investigate.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to know a ballpark. If you said $300 then i would know i could easily afford it and go take a more considered look. If you said $300k then i would have saved my time! As i suspect the cost is fairly high - i was trying to save myself time.

Thanks for the links- will investigate.
The difference will vary greatly depending on whether you can get in-state tuition. the rules will be complex and the "in-limbo" status of L-2 folks will confuse most of the lesser mortals in the university's bureaucracy. When you call, persevere and push upwards until you find the answers you need. You will find they keep calling you (and charging you as) an international student. You are not such, and you need to find out what you need to do to get the in-state rates -- usually one year's residency.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

many thanks fatbrit. sounds like this is something i should look into in a years time so i can claim the in status fees. I appreciate that useful bit of knowledge.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks fatbrit. sounds like this is something i should look into in a years time so i can claim the in status fees. I appreciate that useful bit of knowledge.
A year of school, at a private school, or at a public school paying 'out of state tuition' will run you about $20-30,000. That's about 15 hours of instruction per semester.

But it really varies so wildly that a ballpark is probably not going to help you much. We'd need to more about what you want to study, whether it would be part of a degree program or anything formal (as compared to something to kill time). You can go the whole gamut from graduate degrees to continuing education to just auditing classes to learn a skill.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

WE are in PA and the rules for qualifying for instate tuition are ...
2 years as a PA resident and for non citizens you need a green card.
Anything else is international.
Having said that, when we were looking for colleges for our daughter we found that speaking to the right person made a difference and she was offered a place at a state college, as an instate student even though she doesn't have a greencard. She has lived here for two years and this is her only residence and we have a mortgage, bank accounts etc and that was good enough for them.
The bigger colleges (Pitt, Penn State) were less flexible.

Occasionally the college computer finds it hard to cope with her and we run into problems but we usually sort them out.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Community Collge?
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

I would agree that community college might be option, if you're doing it primarily for your own satisfaction. The teaching is not necessarily "less" (I took a couple of CC clases where the professor also taught at CMU) and the classes are often smaller. The only problem would be that most classes would be 100 or 200 classes (i.e. first or second year classes). They would be considerably cheaper however.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, you'll want to be paying as an in-state student but there are usually residency requirements. If you've recently arrived in the US, you're not likely to have fulfilled that. So, I would delay studying until you eligible for in-state rates of study,etc.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:24 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

more excellent suggestions - thanks for the pointers. I didnt put what sort of thing id study - as at the moment i have no idea The notion is really in its infancy - and hence why i wanted ballpark to see if its worth following the idea a bit more or is it akin to winning the lottery . As usual the ideas and tips on here are helpful and have given me some things that will minimise wasted time and costs if i look in more detail. Thanks!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

more excellent suggestions - thanks for the pointers. I didnt put what sort of thing id study - as at the moment i have no idea The notion is really in its infancy - and hence why i wanted ballpark to see if its worth following the idea a bit more or is it akin to winning the lottery . As usual the ideas and tips on here are helpful and have given me some things that will minimise wasted time and costs if i look in more detail. Thanks!
If you're just interested in studying for the sake of it, you might want to consider auditing classes at your local uni. Most professors will allow it if you ask nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.