Back from the USSR

Old Apr 24th 2003, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Back from the USSR

Right, Here goes for my own personal Rant.
My wife and I moved to the Former Soviet Union a couple of years ago to set up a Business as the place she comes from is fast developing with Oil etc. We thought we would have a head start on most “Foreigners� because of her Family and local connections. WRONG!!
Ever since we arrived it has been an unmitigated disaster.
We are a target for every petty official who is seeking to augment his salary, I gave up a long time ago trying to explain that I am investing in THEIR country with MY money………they don’t care!!
The Family far from protecting us from this are actually the most demanding of the Lot.
So far we have sunk (literally) about 150,000 Pounds, of which we will be lucky to get back 50K when we sell the House (assuming the Locals don’t find a way to steal it).
This has been a hard and expensive lesson, the only people who are succeeding across here are large Corporations who have the Clout to do something at Government level, and even they get ripped off on a regular basis.
I guess none of you will be surprised to hear that we will be returning to the UK at the first possible opportunity. I was one of those Brits who used to complain endlessly about the UK and all it’s faults. However after 2 years of Electric, water and heating supplies being shut off without warning, (sometimes for days at a time!!!) We can’t wait to get back.
Perversely I’m pleased we did it so that at least I’ll not be sat in the Proverbial Rocking Chair wondering….What If?? (Because now I KNOW!!!)
Old Apr 24th 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jennie2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back from the USSR

Originally posted by JayJay
My wife and I moved to the Former Soviet Union a couple of years ago to set up a Business as the place she comes from is fast developing with Oil etc. We thought we would have a head start on most “Foreigners� because of her Family and local connections. WRONG!!
We are a target for every petty official who is seeking to augment his salary, I gave up a long time ago trying to explain that I am investing in THEIR country with MY money………they don’t care!!
The Family far from protecting us from this are actually the most demanding of the Lot.
So far we have sunk (literally) about 150,000 Pounds, of which we will be lucky to get back 50K when we sell the House (assuming the Locals don’t find a way to steal it).
This has been a hard and expensive lesson, the only people who are succeeding across here are large Corporations who have the Clout to do something at Government level, and even they get ripped off on a regular basis.
I guess none of you will be surprised to hear that we will be returning to the UK at the first possible opportunity. I was one of those Brits who used to complain endlessly about the UK and all it’s faults. However after 2 years of Electric, water and heating supplies being shut off without warning, (sometimes for days at a time!!!) We can’t wait to get back.
Perversely I’m pleased we did it so that at least I’ll not be sat in the Proverbial Rocking Chair wondering….What If?? (Because now I KNOW!!!)
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. As you have already realised, your best best is to get back to Britain ASAP.

I just went back for a visit after 11 years away and loved it so much that we are now making plans to go back. I hope you get everything sorted quickly.

It was a hard lesson to learn but just put it down to experience.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:26 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that it turned out so badly. I hope in a couple of years time you will be able to look back and laugh at the experience and if nothing else will have learnt from it.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Deborah1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh you poor thing, sounds like a nightmare! At least you will have some great stories to tell!!

Best of luck with the move!
Old Apr 28th 2003, 8:33 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a rough break, but as you say at least you tried. What doesn't destroy you can only make you stronger right?
Hope things work out for you, and good luck with the move back...