Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Holy Cow I wish I knew that when me gran died, I thought about moving over and here it turns out it looks like I can become a citizen, heaven help you all

Probably tough to get a job around the Hartlepool Headlands though

Muchos Gracias!! Threadjack off.

Pete
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Holy Cow I wish I knew that when me gran died, I thought about moving over and here it turns out it looks like I can become a citizen, heaven help you all

Probably tough to get a job around the Hartlepool Headlands though

Muchos Gracias!! Threadjack off.

Pete

You wouldn't want to leave the great state of Ohio, now would you????
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:13 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Monkeys & Capp, or Polka & Burning Rivers?

Pete
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by civilservant
As per the thread title.

My wife said to me yesterday that when we have kids it'll be my job to ensure they inherit 'Britishness' from me. This got me wondering about it, what it even means, and how you would pass that on to a child?

To me Britishness is a shared history, shared experiances, but also character traits such as the 'Stiff Upper Lip' and self deprecation that dont really exist in the US.

So the question is - what is Britishness, and have you tried to teach your kids born in the US about it? How have you done so?
I have been reliably informed by my wife that our children will be taught Britishness, and that I should keep my Zummerzet accent for as long as possible, if not longer. With buglet #1 due in June, I'd better get buying the correct versions of Thomas etc
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I have been reliably informed by my wife that our children will be taught Britishness, and that I should keep my Zummerzet accent for as long as possible, if not longer. With buglet #1 due in June, I'd better get buying the correct versions of Thomas etc
Don't forget the complete works of the Wurzels too.....
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveq
Don't forget the complete works of the Wurzels too.....
Already have two CDs
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this. My stepson was born abroad and came to the USA at the age of 2-1/2 with his mother when she immigrated after I met and married her. He's 11 now and is pure American culturally, despite the facts that his mother routinely speaks to him in their native language and that we spend 1 month a year back there visiting family and friends. Have spent, will not be going back this year in part because he's begged us not to for a couple of years now. He considers himself to be American. The videos and such that we brought with us from his country, and that he watched as a toddler, faded from his mind quickly.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by rpjs
So the upshot is, the kids decide for themselves. Maybe they will embrace their parental culture, or maybe they'll consider it irrelevant and themselves to be only American. It's their decision whichever they chose.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Apr 10th 2013 at 3:17 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I agree with this. My stepson was born abroad and came to the USA at the age of 2-1/2 with his mother when she immigrated after I met and married her. He's 11 now and is pure American culturally, despite the facts that his mother routinely speaks to him in their native language and that we spend 1 month a year back there visiting family and friends. Have spent, will not be going back this year in part because he's begged us not to for a couple of years now. He considers himself to be American. The videos and such that we brought with us from his country, and that he watched as a toddler, faded from his mind quickly. JEff
Well, I dunno, Jeff. He may just be going through a phase, not wanting to leave his friends behind. I have two young granddaughters who live in Norway and don't speak English except when they're with my wife and & me, and they love coming once a year to where we are (in the Caribbean). It gives them bragging rights back at school, and I'm sure that's a factor.

My theory is that migration can get "in the blood". I did a blog-post in February that made this point ("Expats in the family tree"), and in another post some time before (I can't recall which one just now) I reckoned that the two girls really didn't have much of a chance NOT to become expats in their turn. Their mother is a strong Norwegian patriot, but even she has spent time on the hippie trail in Latin America, and she will probably encourage them to go wandering when they're old enough
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:27 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
My theory is that migration can get "in the blood".... I reckoned that the two girls really didn't have much of a chance NOT to become expats in their turn.
There's a tradition on my mother's side of the family that at least one person in every generation will emigrate. The smart money is still on me for my generation's pick.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that this is a part of it. His thoughts may change again as he gets older, or they may not.

In addition, however, he simply likes the lifestyle and the accomodations in the USA better, and does not like it at all back there.

The main point, though, is that I agree with rjps that "the kids will decide for themselves. Although parents can try to influence their children's thoughts and provide them with knowledge of their ancestral culture, the child themself will be the one to adopt it, incorporate it along with the current culture they are experiencing, or reject it completely in favor of the current culture. Different people handle it differently - their own way - ultimately without regard to what their parents want.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I dunno, Jeff. He may just be going through a phase, not wanting to leave his friends behind.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:58 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thread. I'm raising kids in Australia where things are much more British really - reports on the Queen as head of state, lawn bowls, British spelling and (mostly) British vocabulary, and use of cutlery, etc. so I don't feel quite as cut off from the old culture as perhaps those in the US might.

Still, I am determined to make sure the next generation understands where they come from and what that means. I won't be able to help the Australian accent, but that is very superficial stuff.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

jjmb - the whole *nationality*/American thing drives me INSANE too. Hello its been 200 years since your family lived there!

My wife maintains its because the US is such a young country, they feel the need to identify with something that is far older than they are. If thats true or not I dont know, but still it drives me batty!
I would never refer to myself as European American (sorry I have a problem with the whole African American thing as well), however, since I am and always have been interested in history and ancestry I see no harm in exploring my roots AND knowing the associated background. My Dad encouraged this all my growing up years because in HIS family, BOTH sets of his grandparents who were born either in England or NI and were still alive in his childhood. It is a bit sticky when confronted with naysayers and the comments about Americans not knowing anything about anywhere outside of America, AND the opposing belief that one shouldn't care because you just didn't come over on the boat.

I just say Pfft and carry on. It makes it easier for me since I'm married to a Brit.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with someone knowing where they come from, it's the *nationality*/american statement that gets on my nerves. If I was born in the UK but my great-great-grandparents lived in the Arctic am I an Eskimo?

I had this conversation with some Americans and they just cant understand it. Perhaps I need to lighten up!

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 14th 2013 at 5:03 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with someone knowing where they come from, it's the *nationality*/american statement that gets on my nerves. If I was born in the UK but my great-great-grandparents living in the Arctic am I an Eskimo?

I had this conversation with some Americans and they just cant understand it. Perhaps I need to lighten up!

Indeed, lighten up and carry on. Remember imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Indeed, lighten up and carry on. Remember imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Never thought of it like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.