B2 Visa worries, please help

Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa worries, please help

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Unless you travel to Canada or Mexico for a short trip then you are re-entered in on the remaining time of the vwp.
I think you have that backwards.

If you travel to Canada or Mexico, you will re-enter the USA on the remaining time of the current VWP trip.

If you go all the way back to the UK, you will re-enter the USA with a new 90-day period.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think you have that backwards.

If you travel to Canada or Mexico, you will re-enter the USA on the remaining time of the current VWP trip.

If you go all the way back to the UK, you will re-enter the USA with a new 90-day period.

Rene
Please re-read what i said, i think you mis read it as you repeated what i said whilst claiming i had it backwards. If i have it backwards then im afraid so do you
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you travel to Canada or Mexico for a short trip then you are re-entered in on the remaining time of the vwp.
The way it's stated above (or at least the way it reads to me), it says UNLESS you travel to Canada or Mexico, you'll be admitted for the remaining time on the VWP. The way it reads the way you wrote it, it means if you travel anywhere except Canada or Mexico, you'll be admitted for the remaining time of the VWP, which is incorrect. Canada and Mexico are the exceptions. It should say "unless you travel to Canada or Mexico, you are re-entered on a new 90-day VWP".

Or am I just going bonkers? LOL

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter how long you stayed on your last trip. Each new trip to the USA is seen as a new 90-day period. You won't be let in for the remainder of your previous 90-day allotted time.
My statement made was in direct response to your statement. You stated Each New trip to the USA is seen as a new 90 day period. You also said You wont be let in for the remainder of your previous 90-day alloted time. I quoted your original statement, as I have done so again and said. "Unless you travel to Canada or Mexico then you are re-entered in on the remaining time of the vwp".

To me that means if you are in the US and you travel to Mexico or Canada then when you re-enter the US you will do so on the remaining time of your vwp.

Last edited by DavidLemon; Apr 29th 2013 at 7:14 am. Reason: Typos
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJH90
civilservant thank you so much.

If all this is indeed true then it would make far more sense for me to withdraw my application for the B2 and travel on the VWP. My only qualm with that being that i last travelled to the USA on the 27th of March for 17 days but my 90 day allowance runs out on the 24th of June, 19 days after i ideally would arrive. Do you think there is good chance of me being allowed another 90 day allowance seeing as i only stayed for 17 days previously? Or would i have to leave by the 24th of June?

Thank you so much for the help guys, my nerves are starting to settle just a little bit!
The clock resets other than a trip into Canada, Mexico or an adjoining island.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The way it's stated above (or at least the way it reads to me), it says UNLESS you travel to Canada or Mexico, you'll be admitted for the remaining time on the VWP. The way it reads the way you wrote it, it means if you travel anywhere except Canada or Mexico, you'll be admitted for the remaining time of the VWP, which is incorrect. Canada and Mexico are the exceptions. It should say "unless you travel to Canada or Mexico, you are re-entered on a new 90-day VWP".

Or am I just going bonkers? LOL

Rene
I think it can be interpreted either way - but slightly less so if read in the context of what he quoted. Perhaps "in which case" would have clarified it beyond doubt more than "then you are".
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I think it can be interpreted either way - but slightly less so if read in the context of what he quoted. Perhaps "in which case" would have clarified it beyond doubt more than "then you are".
Agreed, if you read the line as a stand alone statement i can see it being interpreted the way it was. Alas it was not a stand alone statement, it was a point of clarification to a another statement in which i made sure was quoted just prior to it.

My apologies if it came across incorrectly, but i think now we all know what i was trying to say
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Thats how i should have said it
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Which of Mexico's adjoining islands count?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:47 am

Ahhhh I get it now. Thanks.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:03 am
Just Joined

AJH90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just like to thank every one of you from the bottom of my heart, for the past two days i have been sick with worry and stress. Honestly thank you for clearing all this up for me, as suggested, i will travel on the VWP and hope i get no fuss in Philadelphia.

Thank you once again! And who knows, the next visa i stress over may well be a K-1!

Much appreciated,

Adam
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Which of Mexico's adjoining islands count?
Should have said "adjacent islands." Mea culpa.

Take a look at section 101(b)(5) of the Immigration & Nationality Act.

When I first started there were more "adjacent islands" than there are now -- Belize, Guyana and Suriname lost that classification.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Should have said "adjacent islands." Mea culpa.

Take a look at section 101(b)(5) of the Immigration & Nationality Act.

When I first started there were more "adjacent islands" than there are now -- Belize, Guyana and Suriname lost that classification.
Nah, it's the final comma (or lack thereof) that sometimes causes arguments I was focusing on. Like: "You have a choice of a, b, c and d" - does that mean c and d are lumped into one? A Serial, Oxford [,] or Harvard comma apparently. Anyway, it was in jest rather than seriousness.

Last edited by GeoffM; Apr 29th 2013 at 9:42 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Commentator

Nah, it's the final comma (or lack thereof) that sometimes causes arguments I was focusing on. Like: "You have a choice of a, b, c and d" - does that mean c and d are lumped into one? A Serial, Oxford [,] or Harvard comma apparently. Anyway, it was in jest rather than seriousness.
No problem -- I was taught NOT to use the comma before the connector, but that if used, it would be OK. The word "or" often causes confusion.