Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa / VWP/ E2 & criminal record etc

B2 Visa / VWP/ E2 & criminal record etc

Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:43 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa / VWP/ E2 & criminal record etc

Originally Posted by Sportychico
well its proving to be a grey area whether i was arrested or not and whether my crime is Moral turpitude or not....so at least i feel slightly better that when visiting the states (3 times on hol) between 2005 - 2008 i ticked NO under arrest box because i genuily believed i was NOT arrested....the form didnt ask if i was summoned!!! ....anyway how on earth will the London US embassy know whether i ticked yes or no on the plane as millions of these forms were completed????
The question asks:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentance to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities ?

They save all of the forms but may not even need to look at them. The first thing they have to do is see if the conviction has immigration consequences. If the conviction didn't make you ineligible to go to the US on the VWP, then it doesn't matter how you answered the question.

They save the ESTA information for at least 15 years so they probably save the I-94 info for at least that long.

Last edited by crg; Mar 26th 2009 at 4:50 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

well its proving to be a grey area whether i was arrested or not and whether my crime is Moral turpitude or not....so at least i feel slightly better that when visiting the states (3 times on hol) between 2005 - 2008 i ticked NO under arrest box because i genuily believed i was NOT arrested....the form didnt ask if i was summoned!!! ....anyway how on earth will the London US embassy know whether i ticked yes or no on the plane as millions of these forms were completed????
You was technically under arrest when you signed into the court house
so you actually was arrested, charged and convicted all at the same time ..
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg14624
The question asks:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentance to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities ?

They save all of the forms but may not even need to look at them. The first thing they have to do is see if the conviction has immigration consequences. If the conviction didn't make you ineligible to go to the US on the VWP, then it doesn't matter how you answered the question.

They save the ESTA information for at least 15 years so they probably save the I-94 info for at least that long.
thanks CRG for reminding me of the sentence on the form.....i would still tick NO....becuase a) i was not arrested b) my crime is not moral turpitude and c) i was only given probabtion for 2 yrs.........now on the plane i didnt have a lawyer with me so how could I legally know if my crime was Moral Turpitude or not...same as the emabssy officer will not be a trained lawyer how will he or she know for sure??? also i could have ticked yes and border control could have still let me in.....how would the emabassu know what i ticked??..unless they have copies of every green waiver form from every tourist...millions of copies??...i also know that the border control state side is still not linked to the UK's police computer hence many criminals are still entering illegally.....
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:08 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

thanks CRG for reminding me of the sentence on the form.....i would still tick NO....becuase a) i was not arrested b) my crime is not moral turpitude and c) i was only given probabtion for 2 yrs.........now on the plane i didnt have a lawyer with me so how could I legally know if my crime was Moral Turpitude or not...same as the emabssy officer will not be a trained lawyer how will he or she know for sure??? also i could have ticked yes and border control could have still let me in.....how would the emabassu know what i ticked??..unless they have copies of every green waiver form from every tourist...millions of copies??...i also know that the border control state side is still not linked to the UK's police computer hence many criminals are still entering illegally.....
By signing the form, you indicated that you read and understood the question. If in doubt you should have left it blank until you could ask the officer for a clarification.

The forms have a serial number on them and they are stored on microfilm.

Here's a link to a document describing I-94 arrival records that they still have from the year 1907.

http://www.archives.gov/research/microfilm/a3400.pdf

The embassy officials are usually not lawyers, but they have access to lawyers. The lawyers provide the embassy with what is called an "advisory opinion" when it is not clear if the offense is a CIMT or if you committed fraud or not.

So, how old were you at the time of the offense?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

By signing the form, you indicated that you read and understood the question. If in doubt you should have left it blank until you could ask the officer for a clarification.

The forms have a serial number on them and they are stored on microfilm.

Here's a link to a document describing I-94 arrival records that they still have from the year 1907.

http://www.archives.gov/research/microfilm/a3400.pdf

The embassy officials are usually not lawyers, but they have access to lawyers. The lawyers provide the embassy with what is called an "advisory opinion" when it is not clear if the offense is a CIMT or if you committed fraud or not.

So, how old were you at the time of the offense?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:12 pm
crg
American Expat

Okay, since you were over 18 that could be a problem.

Do you have the text of the law, and the maximum possible penalty?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... on the plane i didnt have a lawyer with me so how could I legally know if my crime was Moral Turpitude or not...
You just don't seem to get it. The onus is *always* on the traveller to know. It doesn't matter that you didn't know, and the US government doesn't care that you didn't know. The assumption is that you *do* know... because you are supposed to know. If you didn't know, then that's your problem... not theirs.

... the LAW i broke was the telecommunications act sending threatening or indecent material
If, as you say, there's nothing to say how bad it was, you're certainly welcome to try to minimize what happened. The US government will likely try to maximize what happened... and their interpretation would likely be equally valid since, as you say, there's no proof one way or the other. From the US government's point of view, why should your version be afforded more weight that their version? Here's a thought... it's their sandbox, so they get to say who plays in it.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a summons and have to comply, then a restriction has been placed on your liberty to ignore that summons. That restriction of liberty makes it an arrest.
Well having spent 37 years as a UK police officer that is the first time I've heard that.

In the UK a summons is not an arrest. It is an alternative means of bringing someone before a court when the circumstances do not warrant an arrest. A summons is not a restriction on someones liberty as they are perfectly able to ignore the summons. Consequences follow if they do usually being arrested on a warrant issued by the Court for to enable them to have their liberty restricted and taken to court.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

no i basically called up a company THE DETAIL: at 2 am in the morning 15 YEARS AGO (and a one off) and called them Nazis....the reasons were in my view justified but no need to go into detail.....the LAW i broke was the telecommunications act sending threatening or indecent material.......THIS IS ALL thats on my court record, ACPO record and police record.- THE LAW BIT not THE DETAIL BIT.....so i m thinking i obviousley admit to breakign this law but if asked could say something slightlt different...tone in down so to speak as my RECORDS ONLY show the LAW broken not the detail.....
Was the offense you appeared in court for under Section 43 Telecommunications Act 1988, which was the favorite one to use in the circumstances you describe.

If I remember correctly there is no power of arrest for the offense so triable by summons only and a person guilty of an offense under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both. That is of course the maximum and most got a fine or probation or both.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

The arrest part is irrelevant - you were convicted. Now work out if its a CIMT

The police in the UK arrest someone for their legal protection and the legal protection of the person arrested. ie procedures were followed correctly, solicitors were offered, etc etc. The police also arrest someone to have more powers of interview etc. You willingly were interviewed. They didn't need to arrest you. It gave them no advantage. Had you walked out they would have arrested you.

As I said - the arrest part is irrelevant - you were convicted.

You're applying for a B2 on the basis you've been convicted. Oddly if they grant you a B2 you could have probably still used the VWP anyway.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

drjulius is an unknown quantity at this point

Some background info:
My GF has just got her E2 Visa. I have a B2 visa interview booked in for June at US embassy (to see if they will let me in !!) and if I get a B2 we will get married & I will appy for the E2 dependant visa I dont wnat to go for E2 first in case i get rejected, we ve got married and live in different countries!!!!!. I do have a criminal conviction though was not arressted but received 2 yrs probabation back in 1993. My lawyer seems to think it is moral turpitude though im not convinced..I have paid for my ACPO police file (which you have to get if have record / been arrested before any interview at US embassy) and obtained a copy of my court record showing the crime, However the DEATAIL of said crime is not on these forms only what law was broken and the sentence served and plead given etc..which leaves my interpretation of crime if asked.....

So my questions are;

1) surely is it possible to tone down the offence (if asked at embassy) as it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to get the full details of the incident as it is NOT on ANY police record or court papers?...only the law broken which could cover 100s of incidents under the Act.

2) My lawyer also feels that the fact i have been to US in 2005, 2006 on holiday and ticked NO under VWP, will be a 'BIG' issue, though my argument is my crime was not Moral turpitude and i wasnt arrested, hence ticking NO.......though if embassy asks could i just say i ticked yes on the old green visa waiver forms on the plane and the border officer let me through???...how would the embassy know if i ticked yes or no???????....i dont want to be seen as someone who has lied and entered the US illegally (even though i dont feel i have)....why raise the issue if i can be economically with the story????? .......or why admit to something if i dont really need too...??...My lawyer is making a big issue about this and i feel they are making me nervous to secure their fees (i.e make me use them even though they cannot guarantee success!!)

3) My lawyer wants £2 500 for basically doing the B2 paperwork ....im not convinced this is money well spent as all her comments thus far seem to be nagagtive...any thoughts??

4) The US govt still cant check police records and my crime is in a GREY area under moral turpitude....so i could travel under VWP as i did a dummy ESTA form last month and ticked no in all boxes and got clearence..HOWEVER i know the US govt are looking into linking with the UK police systems soon, so i would rather be cautious and get B2 visa which also lasts 6 months per annum (possibly more) over ten yrs......

A one silly drunken night out 15 yrs ago out should not ruin the rest of my life and my lawyer is not giving me much confidence...any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Any outcomes to your case yet? Thanks