Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa success with multiple convictions.

B2 Visa success with multiple convictions.

Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Toodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa success with multiple convictions.

Hi.

I thought I would share my experiences in gaining a ten year visa at my first attempt.

There's a lot of scaremongering going on and I thought I'd share my experiences and please bear in minds I only started the process 3 weeks ago.

I have 5 convictions for violence(all spent) and a caution for threatening behaviour.
I was arrested in the US in 2011 for trespassing (charges thrown out of court).

My last conviction was in 1997 and my caution was in 2003. So, apart from the arrest in US back in 2011, I was pretty much clean.

I applied for my ACPO 3 weeks ago. This came back blank with No Live Trace. I immediately rang ACPO and they told me all of the dates, fines, courts for my convictions/caution.

I then completed my online application form with the Embassy and booked my appointment.

It is important to note that I had no court papers etc, just the info ACPO had given me.

I filled out the VCU1 form and wrote a sworn statement about my arrest in the US.

I then booked my interview for the Belfast consular as the London wait was too long.

On the day, I turned up in my best suit and smile and with my documents, DS160, VCU1, Acpo certificate and passport.

I was worried because I had entered the Us 6 times from 2011-2013 with my convictions. I was certain I would require a waiver and I wouldn't get the 10 year visa.

The wait was long.

The lady who interviewed me was lovely. She briefly asked about my arrest in the US and checked a few things out on her PC. After about 10 minutes, she approved me a 10 year visa.

I received an email today informing me my passport had been returned to me by courier.

So, don't listen to all the scaremongers. Be honest on your forms, admit your mistakes and present yourself well and there is no reason why you won't get your visa.

Good luck to all applying.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa success with multiple convictions.

Originally Posted by Toodles
There's a lot of justifiable scaremongering going on...
I've fixed it for you!

So, don't listen to all the scaremongers.
With respect, your single experience doesn't negate the many hundreds that have gone tits up over the years. I'm glad things worked out for you, but to suggest that your experience is normal is to completely ignore reality.

Be honest on your forms, admit your mistakes and present yourself well and there is no reason why you won't get your visa.
A pleasant sentiment... but there's at least one thing in your list that you haven't mentioned - and it's very important. I'd tell you what it is, but you've already determined that there's "a lot of scaremongering going on"!

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Toodles is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just wanted to share my experience as I found information scarce when I was researching the subject.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

OP didn't mention specifically if he had a CIMT. Sure looks like the consular officer did not consider his convictions to be CIMTs.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 6:40 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be scared everyone! Someone without CIMTs got a visa! With a US arrest and fingerprinting at the border, you may want to have those court records available as a visa is only permission to knock on the door. I'm not trying to scaremonger, just say what is prudent.