B2 visa with J1 partner

Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 visa with J1 partner

Great news! Congratulations!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

smokyjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Great news! Congratulations!
Thanks for posting your outcome. I'm in a bit of the same dilema! My partner is on an f1 visa and we will be applying for f2 for our children.As we are not married yet I cannot apply under this status i'm hoping to apply for a B2, what are the chances of me getting one and is there any chance of this being extended.

Last edited by smokyjoe; Apr 25th 2009 at 10:55 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:29 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
I work with quite a number of gay men and lesbians who receive long-term visas and wish to have their spouses or domestic partners accompany them to the USA. I think it's fair to say that I do LOTS and LOTS of such work.

Stuart Folinsky is quite right. If you can demonstrate that the couple is cohabiting -- and if they have done so for a reasonable amount of time -- the US Consulate is likely to grant the spouse/partner a B-1/B-2 with an annotation that say that the visaholder is a long-term partner. The border guard should then grant that B-2 visaholder a one year I-94 -- assuming that the principal visa applicant will be staying at least that long. The B-2 is renewable for additional one-year increments.

Although there are some homophobic ConOffs and border guards, it is now fairly well established that these visas are out there and that the I-94 should be given with little argument. Most consuls and Port Directors would overrule the border guard's denial, absent an independent reason to deny admission.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
They should have a different category for such visas. The established temporary nature of the B2 is just so incongruent with this practice that it makes no sense.

It's the government's way of being sneaky about granting permission for nontraditional couples from cohabiting by tacking it on to the acceptable uses of a B-2. Is it even in the INA, or just the DOS regs?

US Govt: You CANNOT live in the US on a B-2!........... *pssst* low voice: how about we put a little note on your B-2 so you can live with your partner...... shhhh... keep this quiet please.....
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

kknb3398 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to make a further update/record in case anyone needs the advice.

At point of entry the customs officer will only issue an I94 for 6 months maximum (not a year), no matter how long the B2 is valid for or for how long the J1 cohabiting partner's contact (DS2019) lasts. Of course this is extremely irritating as it means a petition has to be filed every 6 months at a cost of $300 for a new I94, or that the partner has to leave the country and come back and run the risk that the customs officer understands that B2 is a an appropriate visa for a cohabiting partner of a J1 (or other visa). I recommend the former option as 'enlightened' is not a word I'd use to describe customs.

I totally agree with CRG below that this is a pathetic arrangement for a country like the USA. I feel nothing but sympathy for gay couples; at least we have the choice of getting married.

I may offend some here, but I would also like to add that in my experience customs officers are unecessarily aggressive, patronising and, worst of all, seem to be under the impression that they always claim the moral high ground. Our circumstances are generally met with sneering disapproval or rhetorical, aggressive questioning. It is an extremely stressful situation when you know (a) you haven't done anything wrong and (b) your future is balanced in the hands of these egregious people.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Some CBP officers are fair, courteous and understanding. Many are not. It's luck of the draw who you get and which side of the bed she got up on that morning.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kknb3398
I may offend some here, but I would also like to add that in my experience customs officers are unecessarily aggressive, patronising and, worst of all, seem to be under the impression that they always claim the moral high ground.
I am not offended... you paint a fairly accurate picture. However, I'm constrained to point out that their job is to keep non-USCs out of the country, and a visa is not a guarantee of entry. To that end, they have a fairly wide latitude as to what is acceptable to get the information they need to make a decision. I am not trying to defend what they do; I'm just pointing out that there is another side to the equation.

That said, I agree with henryh's summary of things.

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:01 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kknb3398
I may offend some here, but I would also like to add that in my experience customs officers are unecessarily aggressive, patronising and, worst of all, seem to be under the impression that they always claim the moral high ground. .

Well, you certainly won't get any disagreement from ME on this point.