B2 Visa help?

Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

jimmychan12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petty Offence Exception?? CIMT

Basically im sure your all familiar with INA SECTION212 (II)(A)

the cimt was when i was 15 and i am now 19 so dont qualify for the "under 18" etc. part

so

Im just wondering what does it mean by "maximum penalty possible"?

You can help by an example

obviously i know manslaughter will not qualify but just for educational purposes:

Harry commits manslaughter.
manslaughter can carry up to life.
harry gets sentenced to 10 years in prison.
he only serves five.

Does Maximum penalty possible refer to the 10 years he was SENTENCED to or the life sentence he COULD of got?

Another factor i wanted to ask about is does it depend on the type of court? In the UK there are a magistrates court and a crown court. The maximum sentance a magistrates court can give is 1 year will this count as a petty offence?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petty Offence Exception?? CIMT

Originally Posted by jimmychan12
Basically im sure your all familiar with INA SECTION212 (II)(A)

the cimt was when i was 15 and i am now 19 so dont qualify for the "under 18" etc. part

so

Im just wondering what does it mean by "maximum penalty possible"?

You can help by an example

obviously i know manslaughter will not qualify but just for educational purposes:

Harry commits manslaughter.
manslaughter can carry up to life.
harry gets sentenced to 10 years in prison.
he only serves five.

Does Maximum penalty possible refer to the 10 years he was SENTENCED to or the life sentence he COULD of got?

Another factor i wanted to ask about is does it depend on the type of court? In the UK there are a magistrates court and a crown court. The maximum sentance a magistrates court can give is 1 year will this count as a petty offence?
The maximum penalty he could have been given under US law.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

so basically i will need to apply for a waiver?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

so basically i will need to apply for a waiver?
As I understand it, and someone will be Long to correct me if I'm wrong, but you apply for the visa. If and when the visa gets denied you are either told to apply for a waiver or not.
Which visa are you applying for?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Default B2 Visa help?

Basically to give you all the details,

robbery at 15 was at magistrates court and given a 10 month "referral order".

i have a holiday booked for start of august to florida

i dont think i qualify for petty offence exception if i'm correct. (INA 212(2)(A)(2)

this means i will have to apply for a waiver.

Between all the things that need doing in between this (ACRO) (VISA APPLICATION) (WAIVER)

i reckon it will amount to £600 in total and around 30 weeks which i do not have.

will any one be able to confirm this i can give more details if neccessary
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

b2 travel visa for a 2 week holiday in florida
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

jimmy,

I merged your related threads. Please keep the discussion in this thread (don't create a new thread for the same topic).

Thank you,
Rene
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: B2 Visa help?

thank you and sorry
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent idea, much better than proposing hypothetical situations.
The consular officer will be able to confirm following your interview for the visa application. No one else can.

i dont think i qualify for petty offence exception if i'm correct. (INA 212(2)(A)(2)

Between all the things that need doing in between this (ACRO) (VISA APPLICATION) (WAIVER)

i reckon it will amount to £600 in total and around 30 weeks which i do not have.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

£600 seems awfully expensive for a B2 waiver of ineligibility.

Even if you include everything - the cost of the ACPO, a memorandum of conviction, MRV fee, travel to London for the interview and then the DX Secure courier costs - you should still have plenty of change out of £600.

Mind you, the timeframe sounds about right. If anything, 30 weeks might be a tad optimistic.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Feb 15th 2013 at 5:11 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: B2 Visa help?

Firstly, thank you Jeff I reckon it's better to 'lay it out' rather then hope on stuff.

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
£600 seems awfully expensive for a B2 waiver of ineligibility.

Even if you include everything - the cost of the ACPO, a memorandum of conviction, MRV fee, travel to London for the interview and then the DX Secure courier costs - you should still have plenty of change out of £600.

Mind you, the timeframe sounds about right. If anything, 30 weeks might be a tad optimistic.
Okay, if 30 weeks sounds optimistic, do you think its worth the hassle? Would you suggest I should just wait till next year where I 'WILL' qualify for petty offence being 20 and the crime being committed at 15 (5 year gap) to go? As I am almost certain they wont show any lee way on the grounds of 1 year OR on the grounds of a referral order penalty (no imprisonment, just a fine and a meeting every 2 weeks) and see if I can get a transfer on my flights to head towards the Maldives and at least I have familiarised my-self with the procedure?

I am sure (up to argument) that I would be able to obtain a waiver for a non immigrant status. Its just the concept of time that I don't have as i'm scheduled to leave in august. Do I have to go through the visa application and be denied first before i apply for a visa waiver? I mean:

10 days + 3 for postage on ACRO
1 month? for a interview (to be most likely denied)
6 months for a waiver

It does make sense that a decision be made before I received a waiver and of course it is at the embassy's discretion but not meeting the criteria for a Visa I really don't see any lee-way being thrown my way.

Also would it affect chances of obtaining an immigrant visa later in time if i am denied now? If I am denied can i re-apply for a B2 next year when I 'DO' qualify for a petty offence exception?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to 'read the book I'm writing an essay on' so to speak- or would've just ticked no on the ESTA

Last edited by jimmychan12; Feb 15th 2013 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Add extra info
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. There's nothing to waive if there isn't a denial of a visa application.
Do I have to go through the visa application and be denied first before i apply for a visa waiver?
Yes. One can apply as many times and as often as they like. It is wise, though, to wait to re-apply when circumstances have changed sufficiently that the result can be different.
If I am denied can i re-apply for a B2 next year when I 'DO' qualify for a petty offence exception?
Regards, JEff
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do I have to go through the visa application and be denied first before i apply for a visa waiver?
Yes. You can't apply for a waiver until after the visa has been denied, and the ConOff recommends you for a waiver.

Also would it affect chances of obtaining an immigrant visa later in time if i am denied now?
No. An Immigrant Visa is totally different. Getting denied a B-2 does not necessarily mean getting denied for an Immigrant Visa.

If I am denied can i re-apply for a B2 next year when I 'DO' qualify for a petty offence exception?
Yes, you can always re-apply for a B-2 visa, whenever you want.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you, any regards to the time whether or not i would qualify for the petty offence or lee way based upon the circumstances??

EDIT: Of course I'm aware there is no control and the end decision lies with the embassy but if they were to go by the book it does indeed appear i am not eligible for a visa at this moment in time and don't want to bank on a hope and get excited for nothing?

Would it be best to give it a shot, because money isn't too much of an issue and if i am denied and it's say around late march early april then to get my flights transferred to elsewhere?

Last edited by jimmychan12; Feb 15th 2013 at 7:29 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you, any regards to the time whether or not i would qualify for the petty offence or lee way based upon the circumstances??

EDIT: Of course I'm aware there is no control and the end decision lies with the embassy but if they were to go by the book it does indeed appear i am not eligible for a visa at this moment in time and don't want to bank on a hope and get excited for nothing?

Would it be best to give it a shot, because money isn't too much of an issue and if i am denied and it's say around late march early april then to get my flights transferred to elsewhere?
I would say give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Feb 15th 2013 at 8:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.