Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 visa endorsed but cannot return!

B2 visa endorsed but cannot return!

Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

smokyjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy B2 visa endorsed but cannot return!

Hi some of you may remember my postings last year. I wanted to accompany my F1 partner in the states on a B2 visa! Well I just wanted to update you all on the situation as I know many of you have queries regarding this particular visa.

I was granted a B2 visa which was endorsed as accompanying F1 partner as stated in previous posts. I returned to England after six months to visit relatives but was interrogated by the officers at the gate when trying to return. I was told that I would be unable to return again on this visa after this occasion and they stamped my passport with July 10.They said even though they understand what the embassy were trying to do,it wasn't allowed(endorsing i was accompanying my partner) They said "the only way I could stay was if we got married" That this visa was purely for tourist reasons ONLY for six month's. Now we are in the situation that we don't know what to do! I am assuming that this now means that I cannot file for an extension as previously advised. We don't want to get married just for the sake of the visa. Doe's anyone know if this is the only option available to us? Will I have to return home?

Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 visa endorsed but cannot return!

Originally Posted by smokyjoe
We don't want to get married just for the sake of the visa.
Fair enough... how about getting married so you can be together!

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming that this now means that I cannot file for an extension as previously advised.
The border agency people do not deal with extensions; the border experience doesn't have anything to do with the extension.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

I realise that but if I apply to the embassy for an extension do they have the authority at the border to turn me away?And am I entitled to a extension as at that point I would have been here a year. Ian..if the only way to be together is to get married then hey so be it!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi some of you may remember my postings last year. I wanted to accompany my F1 partner in the states on a B2 visa! Well I just wanted to update you all on the situation as I know many of you have queries regarding this particular visa.

I was granted a B2 visa which was endorsed as accompanying F1 partner as stated in previous posts. I returned to England after six months to visit relatives but was interrogated by the officers at the gate when trying to return. I was told that I would be unable to return again on this visa after this occasion and they stamped my passport with July 10.They said even though they understand what the embassy were trying to do,it wasn't allowed(endorsing i was accompanying my partner) They said "the only way I could stay was if we got married" That this visa was purely for tourist reasons ONLY for six month's. Now we are in the situation that we don't know what to do! I am assuming that this now means that I cannot file for an extension as previously advised. We don't want to get married just for the sake of the visa. Doe's anyone know if this is the only option available to us? Will I have to return home?

Thanks for reading.
There is this fallacy out and about that Government employees give accurate information. For some reason, this is a myth that refuses to go away.

You were admitted for the standard six months. It appears that your visa was not canceled. Actions speak louder than words.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that but if I apply to the embassy for an extension do they have the authority at the border to turn me away?And am I entitled to a extension as at that point I would have been here a year. Ian..if the only way to be together is to get married then hey so be it!
Perhaps I wrote too quickly. I will admit that I made some assumptions about what happened. I caution people to ascertain the facts before purporting to give something that looks like advice.

However, it appears that you landed in the US with a B-2 visa and asked to be admitted for six months. You were admitted for six months. End of story.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

S Folinsky...my passport was stamped until 2013 and endorsed accompany partner. I was under the assumption and from general advice given that I would not have to be apart from my family. There was never a mention of six months! I have been here six months and travelled out of the usa and returned after a month but on my return at the border they have told me I can only stay a further six months.

My question is...can I apply for an extension after being here on a B2 for a year. The advice I was given before was there is no reason why I should be apart from my partner just not sure now after this recent encounter!

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky...my passport was stamped until 2013 and endorsed accompany partner. I was under the assumption and from general advice given that I would not have to be apart from my family. There was never a mention of six months! I have been here six months and travelled out of the usa and returned after a month but on my return at the border they have told me I can only stay a further six months.

My question is...can I apply for an extension after being here on a B2 for a year. The advice I was given before was there is no reason why I should be apart from my partner just not sure now after this recent encounter!

Thanks
Sigh. Your question is a reasonable one. However, it is readily apparent that you do not understand the system and its terminology. Nothing wrong with that -- the courts have expressed the same problem. Your question demonstrates a recurring problems with forums such as this.

A legal consultation might be in order. By way of analogy, an MD is often better to give a comprehensible explanation than WebMD.com. I think that such a consultation will give you some peace of mind.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you S Folinsky...No I do not understand the system or the terminology unfortunately. I think a consultation indeed is what I need. Can you recommend anyone?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you S Folinsky...No I do not understand the system or the terminology unfortunately. I think a consultation indeed is what I need. Can you recommend anyone?
I can:

http://www.folinsky.com/
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Commentator

[email protected]

J posts here.