B2 Visa with Drug Conviction

Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

gbm1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa with Drug Conviction

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying for a B2 visa to visit the US for a holiday at the US consulate in Belfast. I have a conviction for possession of ecstasy (class A) in 2004, I paid a fine of £100 and served no jail time. I now have two successful business' and own 4flats which I rent out, and have learned my lesson the hard way. I was hoping for some information from everyone about their experience and wait times for their visa to be finalised if they were granted it. I realise there is a high possibility I will not be granted a visa but as I have already booked a trip to NYC, Orlando and Miami for the 1st September with my girlfriend I am hoping for the best.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa with Drug Conviction

Originally Posted by gbm1992
.... I am currently in the process of applying for a B2 visa to visit the US for a holiday at the US consulate in Belfast. I have a conviction for possession of ecstasy (class A) in 2004, I paid a fine of £100 and served no jail time. I now have two successful business' and own 4flats which I rent out, and have learned my lesson the hard way. I was hoping for some information from everyone about their experience and wait times for their visa to be finalised if they were granted it. I realise there is a high possibility I will not be granted a visa but as I have already booked a trip to NYC, Orlando and Miami for the 1st September with my girlfriend I am hoping for the best. .....
The process as I understand it from the many who have posted here with their questions and experience is that the initial visa process takes 3-4 months, and if your conviction is determined to be a CIMT, you will be denied and have to apply for a waiver, which can take a further 4-6 months.

So far as I can tell, simple possession of an illegal drug might not be a CIMT, however I think it highly unlikey that you can get a B1 visa in time to travel on September 1st. .... And if the drug offence is found to be a CIMT, you won't get your visa before next spring.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:52 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

CIMT doesn't come into this as far as I can see. I think it's fairly safe to assume that you are inadmissible for life under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) which is the category for "Controlled Substance Violators".

You will almost certainly be denied the visa. If the consulate decide to recommend you for a waiver of ineligibility it will potentially add several months to the process. We don't hear about wait times for waivers in Belfast too often, but they've been taking approximately 6 months to process through London.

With all of that in mind, I'd suggest you won't be making that trip as planned on September 1st.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with MT above, it's not a CIMT, it's a more serious issue altogether. You might be struggling for September.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I paid a fine of £100 and served no jail time.
The US will not base its decision on the penalty that you received... but on the maximum penalty you could have received had they decided to throw the book at you.

I now have two successful business' and own 4flats which I rent out, and have learned my lesson the hard way.
With respect, none of this will matter as far as US immigration is concerned.

I have already booked a trip to NYC, Orlando and Miami for the 1st September with my girlfriend I am hoping for the best.
With respect, you're unlikely to make that date... and it was foolish to book a trip prior to receiving a visa. The US is pretty draconian where drug convictions are concerned.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying for a B2 visa to visit the US for a holiday at the US consulate in Belfast. I have a conviction for possession of ecstasy (class A) in 2004, I paid a fine of £100 and served no jail time. I now have two successful business' and own 4flats which I rent out, and have learned my lesson the hard way. I was hoping for some information from everyone about their experience and wait times for their visa to be finalised if they were granted it. I realise there is a high possibility I will not be granted a visa but as I have already booked a trip to NYC, Orlando and Miami for the 1st September with my girlfriend I am hoping for the best.

Thanks
One very important question needs to be answered here, and that is how old were you at the time of the conviction in 2004?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
One very important question needs to be answered here, and that is how old were you at the time of the conviction in 2004?
I would have just turned 20. Thank you everyone for your responses. I am hoping for a waiver of ineligibility but I doubt it will be processed in time. Does anyone know anywhere to sell a holiday!!!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

I would have just turned 20. Thank you everyone for your responses. I am hoping for a waiver of ineligibility but I doubt it will be processed in time. Does anyone know anywhere to sell a holiday!!!
Too bad. Had you been under 18 years of age you would've qualified for an exception to the ineligibility.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Too bad. Had you been under 18 years of age you would've qualified for an exception to the ineligibility.
I already read that on their website. Even if I lose out on this holiday I will need to go through the process anyway to go another time.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, however it may possibly be that the B2 (if you continued and did get a waiver this time) may only be valid for a specific, one time, entry. If this is the case you will need to go through the process each time you want to visit the US until you build up a positive history - as time goes on they tend to get longer in validity duration and perhaps multiple entry.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I know you have to re-apply every time. Its a pain but i can only blame myself!!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know you have to re-apply every time. Its a pain but i can only blame myself!!
You only have to reapply when your visa expires. You don't have to reappy for each trip, if you are within the validity dates of the visa.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone. I will post after the interview, fingers crossed!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Lb1875 has a brilliant futureLb1875 has a brilliant futureLb1875 has a brilliant futureLb1875 has a brilliant futureLb1875 has a brilliant futureLb1875 has a brilliant future

See when u say that if he was under 18 he wouldve qualified for an exception of ineligibilty, Does this mean the conviction date or the charge date. ?

Mines were pre 18 and you know the palava ive had recently.

wait times in Belfast are exactly the same as london, its just a nicer place to go and wait,
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion, do you really need the B2 visa?
Is it possible to apply for the ESTA which gives a stay of 90 days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.