British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 Visa denied but VWP? ESTA question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-visa-denied-but-vwp-esta-question-682617/)

amvc Aug 26th 2010 9:43 am

Re: Is there any chance...

Originally Posted by crg (Post 8805106)
Did you disclose the denials on the ESTA and/or prior VWP entries? Why was the visa denied?

This will be the first time using VWP and entering US.

amvc Aug 26th 2010 10:01 am

Does applying for ESTA after a couple of days or a week after a visa denial make any difference on the ESTA results?
Could the person be not approved because they applied after getting rejected on a toursit Visa?
Would they look at the date of the denials and judge based on it?

crg Aug 26th 2010 10:08 am

Re: B2 Visa denied but VWP? ESTA question

He needs to complete the ESTA if he wants to use the VWP. ESTA approval/denial is based on the individual's circumstances. The circumstances of the visa denial will be reviewed. He needs to read the arrest question carefully because it asks about specific types of offenses. It does not ask about any and all arrests.

amvc Aug 26th 2010 10:38 am

Originally Posted by crg (Post 8806061)
He needs to complete the ESTA if he wants to use the VWP. ESTA approval/denial is based on the individual's circumstances. The circumstances of the visa denial will be reviewed. He needs to read the arrest question carefully because it asks about specific types of offenses. It does not ask about any and all arrests.

So at filling the ESTA they won't take into consideration the date of the last visa denial?

And the arrest questions' answer would be NO in all of them since it wasn't a CIMT and he wasn't convicted or arrested for more than 2 offenses with a confiment of 5 years or more and he has never been a controlled substance trafficker and he's not gonna engage in criminal or inmoral activities So that's a NO on the whole question.

I'm just worried of him being denied entry and getting banned for life or refused entry for years. OR being unable to apply for a tourist visa again because he tried the VWP.

Could that happen?

I'm sorry for taking so much of your time. I'm just so overwhelmed and confused with this:unsure:

amvc Sep 1st 2010 12:11 pm

Is it normal for an ESTA application to be processed for more than 72 hours?

It was filled out on Saturday and today Wednesday there hasn't been any result?

Could this be bad? Anyone knows? :confused:

crg Sep 1st 2010 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by amvc (Post 8819936)
Is it normal for an ESTA application to be processed for more than 72 hours?

It was filled out on Saturday and today Wednesday there hasn't been any result?

Could this be bad? Anyone knows? :confused:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since they start charging money for ESTA as of Sept 8, they are probably getting a ton of last minute applications to process before the fee kicks in. I suppose a wait is still better news than an instant denial.

amvc Sep 1st 2010 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by crg (Post 8819977)
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since they start charging money for ESTA as of Sept 8, they are probably getting a ton of last minute applications to process before the fee kicks in. I suppose a wait is still better news than an instant denial.

Oh yeah I completely forgot they're going to start charging money for it soon and could probably be why they taking long to process it.

I agree its better to wait than an instant denial.

Thanks for your response! I feel much better now. I was panicking lol.

igotheesta Sep 1st 2010 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by amvc (Post 8820029)
Oh yeah I completely forgot they're going to start charging money for it soon and could probably be why they taking long to process it.

I agree its better to wait than an instant denial.

Thanks for your response! I feel much better now. I was panicking lol.

I did mine on Tuesday and it got approved in like 1 second though my answers were no to everything. I don't see how the computers can determine me as a none overstayer or not a criminal or whatever in 1 second though??

amvc Sep 2nd 2010 9:02 am

Originally Posted by igotheesta (Post 8820838)
I did mine on Tuesday and it got approved in like 1 second though my answers were no to everything. I don't see how the computers can determine me as a none overstayer or not a criminal or whatever in 1 second though??

That's probably why it was approved quickly "no to everything."
I don't completely understand how they determine it either except going through different databases but on my side it was different since it needed additional processing because of declaring visa denials.

:/

amvc Sep 2nd 2010 12:08 pm

Is this normal?

My bf finally got the ESTA results and it said the information was incomplete. That information would be the flight number and the address where he would stay.

Does that mean if he fills that information he's getting approved?

Because I thought you didn't need a flight number to fill the application, you could've updated after if you got approved but aren't we supposed to wait for the approved results in order to buy plane tickets?

Plus the flight would be a connection in the states to Puerto Rico so how could he put an address if he's just transiting?

crg Sep 2nd 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Is this normal?

Originally Posted by amvc (Post 8822341)
Plus the flight would be a connection in the states to Puerto Rico so how could he put an address if he's just transiting?

He's not transiting the United States because Puerto Rico is part of the United States. He's entering the US and traveling domestically to PR.

Use the PR address.

crg Sep 2nd 2010 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by igotheesta (Post 8820838)

They don't really decide to let you in or not until you show up at the border and ask to come in. They can approve the ESTA and still send you straight back when you arrive.

It seems ESTA is for weeding out a portion of people before they arrive. It doesn't mean they won't try to clean out some more once they arrive and seek entry.

amvc Sep 2nd 2010 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by crg (Post 8822407)
He's not transiting the United States because Puerto Rico is part of the United States. He's entering the US and traveling domestically to PR.

Use the PR address.

Oh okay it was a misunderstanding from both of us then because I thought he's not staying in the US since P.R technically isn't a state and he's just catching a connection flight to P.R but either way he put the address on it except the flight information which he didn't have because he was waiting on the ESTA results to book some flights but they didn't give him any results because the application was incomplete so now I don't what he should do.

Apply again with P.R address and book some plane tickets without knowing the ESTA results? I really don't know.

:(

meauxna Sep 2nd 2010 1:27 pm

You can generally cancel airline tickets within 24 hours of reserving, without penalty.

amvc Sep 2nd 2010 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8822464)
You can generally cancel airline tickets within 24 hours of reserving, without penalty.

But if the ESTA takes 72 hours then it doesn't work?

Thanks as always for replying.
:)