Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa denied but VWP? ESTA question

B2 Visa denied but VWP? ESTA question

Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

amvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa denied but VWP? ESTA question

I've recently been searching for some light in an issue my boyfriend is having and I ran into this website and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

This is his situation:
He has applied twice for B2 Visa on the Us Embassy in London and has gotten denied. The reason is insufficient documents "ties" but what other documents he can bring?
He brought to the last interview the police report declaring he has no record, a letter from his Dr. stating he's healthy to travel, bank statements, letter from his job, document that he rents, utility bills, evidence that he owns a car, a letter from his Dad stating he has to come back and take care of him, copy of the hotel he's going to stay and he still got denied.

Can he apply for VWP even if he has two previous visa denials?
He only wants to travel to Puerto Rico for two weeks and thought to get a Visa to do it the right way but got denied twice now.
is there any chance of using VWP?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa denied but VWP? Please help

If he's eligible to use the VWP, the "right way" was already to use the VWP. Not sure why he felt he needed a B-2 for only a 2-week vacation.

Yes, he can still apply online for ESTA approval. He must declare the 2 previous denials. Some people still get approved for VWP travel after having B-2 denied, some people don't. He won't know until he fills out the ESTA form.

If ESTA is denied, he probably won't be visiting the USA anytime soon.

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he's eligible to use the VWP, the "right way" was already to use the VWP. Not sure why he felt he needed a B-2 for only a 2-week vacation.

Yes, he can still apply online for ESTA approval. He must declare the 2 previous denials. Some people still get approved for VWP travel after having B-2 denied, some people don't. He won't know until he fills out the ESTA form.

If ESTA is denied, he probably won't be visiting the USA anytime soon.

Rene
The reason he used the B2 Visa route was because he was previously arrested 7 years ago but being that it was awhile ago it was erased and he no longers has a record. The police report states it. That's why he tried to apply for a tourist Visa.
The question is, on the ESTA application should he answer he was arrested even though he has no record of it?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amvc
The question is, on the ESTA application should he answer he was arrested even though he has no record of it?
I am not exactly sure how the question is written on the application. Does it ask about ANY arrests, or does it ask about CIMT arrests? Was his crime a CIMT?

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

What does the actual question say? Hint: Read it carefully. Then, how does his arrest apply to it?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I am not exactly sure how the question is written on the application. Does it ask about ANY arrests, or does it ask about CIMT arrests? Was his crime a CIMT?

Rene
I'm not sure how is the question phrased on the application either but his arrest I'm not sure if it was CIMT.

He got in a fight when he was 19 years old and got arrested for 3months and some community service if I'm not mistaken.

Does it apply as CIMT?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
What does the actual question say? Hint: Read it carefully. Then, how does his arrest apply to it?
I'm trying to acces the US CBP website to read carefully on it but is under maintence so I'm going have to wait but thanks for the reply!

Its been really helpful.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default ESTA question?

My boyfriend has been previously been denied two B2 Visas for unsufficient ties to his country(even though he has more than enough documents to support this but they still deny him the visa) does this gets in the way of getting into the VWP?

The trip is only for 2 weeks.

I've read in these forums that some of them get approved and some of them don't through ESTA and manage to travel to the US.

With this said he should declared he had 2 visa denials and when, right?

The question I'm most confused about is he was arrested 7 years ago and wasn't a CIMT so he went to get a police report and it shows that he doesn't have a record anymore. Doesn't exist. He's clean.

How do I answer the following ESTA question?

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Should I say yes he was arrested even though it was awhile ago(No CIMT) and no longer on the system? or say no because its doesn't count anymore?

I'm so confused!
Any help with be gratefully appreciated!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA question?

The part about it not being on his record anymore? Forget that.

Focus on the question: Have you been arrested for a CIMT -OR- etc etc
you have to break it down into the several questions it actually is.

Then you have to know if it was a CIMT or not.

It's on the system. Maybe not where you see it, but it happened. It counts.

Wait, why did you repost this question? It's the same as your other thread. VWP and ESTA are the same thing, for all intents/purposes. You need the ESTA approval to travel under the VWP.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: ESTA question?

Originally Posted by meauxna
The part about it not being on his record anymore? Forget that.

Focus on the question: Have you been arrested for a CIMT -OR- etc etc
you have to break it down into the several questions it actually is.
He wasn't arrested for a CIMT or for any of them
Then you have to know if it was a CIMT or not.

It's on the system. Maybe not where you see it, but it happened. It counts.
He has a letter stating is no longer in the system. He spent weeks trying to get the police certificate and that's what the letter says.

Wait, why did you repost this question? It's the same as your other thread. VWP and ESTA are the same thing, for all intents/purposes. You need the ESTA approval to travel under the VWP.
Oh okay I didn't know. I didn't mean to repost but thanks for replying!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Default Is there any chance...

If a person gets to travel on the VWP successfully with previous tourist visa denials can this affect their chances if they want to get a tourist visa again?
Would the US Embassy deny the person on the tourist visa because they already got through the port of entry once using VWP even though they were denied before the same visa?

& also if the person with previous visa tourist denials gets denied entry trying to travel under VWP what would be the consequences of this? Would the person be banned entry for life, for how many years? If so?

I hope someone can help! :/
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:49 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any chance...

If a person gets to travel on the VWP successfully with previous tourist visa denials can this affect their chances if they want to get a tourist visa again?
Would the US Embassy deny the person on the tourist visa because they already got through the port of entry once using VWP even though they were denied before the same visa?

& also if the person with previous visa tourist denials gets denied entry trying to travel under VWP what would be the consequences of this? Would the person be banned entry for life, for how many years? If so?

I hope someone can help! :/
Did you disclose the denials on the ESTA and/or prior VWP entries? Why was the visa denied?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

amvc, it really helps if you keep your questions together in the one thread. I have merged them.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
Did you disclose the denials on the ESTA and/or prior VWP entries? Why was the visa denied?
Yes the visa denials were declared and the reason for the denial was for insufficient information, strong ties.

Because he brought substantial evidence of strong ties(Police report saying there's no record, the Dr's letter saying his healthy to travel, the letter from his job expecting him back, rent agreement, evidence that he owns a car, bank statements, all the utility bills, a copy of the hotel website including its address and numbers where he would be staying, a letter from his father saying he must come back to take care of him father and his family. He brought a picture of his family even so they denied him because of not enough strong ties?

It seems a lil' bit unfair when he has all the right documents indicating he must return back.

At the interview they asked him about his brothers and him not having contact with them and not knowing how to answer the interviewer's question he got denied and told he must bring more strong ties.

The trip will be for only 2 weeks, there's no intent for inmigation or anything.
He's doing it for tourism purposes and visiting his gf (Me)

Could it be because he mentioned he's doing it for tourism purposes and visiting his gf he got denied?

What more evidence he would need? Plus the tourist visa its for at least 6months and the trip would be just two weeks, 15 days at most.

That's why I'm wondering if he could travel on the VWP with all the evidence to back him up at the port of entry and if he would get denied what are the consequences of this and trying for a tourist visa again?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
amvc, it really helps if you keep your questions together in the one thread. I have merged them.
Oh ok I understand. Won't happen again. I apologize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.