Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa application (police caution)

B2 Visa application (police caution)

Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

darkstar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 Visa application (police caution)

Just a quick update. I'm in Belfast, I've had my interview and was accepted for a B2 on the spot. They will send my passport in the next few days. I'm so happy its unreal. I asked how long it was for and he said "full". So does this mean a year? 5 years? Now time to sample to guinnes and watch the cricket till my flight late tonight. Couldn't be happier thanks for the help people. (Sorry, this is from my phone so probably a mess of mistakes)
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

peachapple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darkstar1
Just a quick update. I'm in Belfast, I've had my interview and was accepted for a B2 on the spot. They will send my passport in the next few days. I'm so happy its unreal. I asked how long it was for and he said "full". So does this mean a year? 5 years? Now time to sample to guinnes and watch the cricket till my flight late tonight. Couldn't be happier thanks for the help people. (Sorry, this is from my phone so probably a mess of mistakes)
Excellent news, congratulations

Edit: Also, when you receive your passport back, do say when... I am considering applying for a B2 in the next month or so (just waiting for one document to arrive!) and I'm quite tight for time.

Last edited by peachapple; Jun 19th 2013 at 11:32 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peachapple
Excellent news, congratulations

Edit: Also, when you receive your passport back, do say when... I am considering applying for a B2 in the next month or so (just waiting for one document to arrive!) and I'm quite tight for time.
I'm going on holiday early saturday morning (within the UK) , and I'd guess I won't have it before then, so I'm affraid I may not be able to tell you ecactly when they first attempt to deliver. I presume they will either leave it at our local office or hold it at a depot nearby. I'm interested to see the length and one or multiple visits. When he said I'd been accepted I said "how long for? One year?" And he replied "no, full visa"... I think the character references from uni made a huge difference, the interview was about 3 mins long. I'd advise anyone to go to belfast. Very friendly experience, not too long and cheap flights!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They will send my passport in the next few days.
From reports received by those getting a visa in Ireland, be aware that it will likely take longer to receive your passport. I'm fuzzy on the details but, IIRC, it has to do with them not using a courier to return the passport... but sending it via Royal Mail.

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
From reports received by those getting a visa in Ireland, be aware that it will likely take longer to receive your passport. I'm fuzzy on the details but, IIRC, it has to do with them not using a courier to return the passport... but sending it via Royal Mail.

Ian
Thanks Ian. Yeah, I had to provide a pre-pair royal mail special delivery envelope. I don't really care when it comes, as I won't be home when it does. Ill get it back eventually. I don't need to use it till christmas!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going on holiday early saturday morning (within the UK) , and I'd guess I won't have it before then, so I'm affraid I may not be able to tell you ecactly when they first attempt to deliver. I presume they will either leave it at our local office or hold it at a depot nearby. I'm interested to see the length and one or multiple visits. When he said I'd been accepted I said "how long for? One year?" And he replied "no, full visa"... I think the character references from uni made a huge difference, the interview was about 3 mins long. I'd advise anyone to go to belfast. Very friendly experience, not too long and cheap flights!
A regular B2 visa is valid for 10 years and multiple entries to the USA.

Well done on getting the result you wanted. You avoided needing a waiver of ineligibility for CIMT presumably because the conoff applied the petty offence exception in your case.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
A regular B2 visa is valid for 10 years and multiple entries to the USA.

Well done on getting the result you wanted. You avoided needing a waiver of ineligibility for CIMT presumably because the conoff applied the petty offence exception in your case.
I'm back home now after being put on an earlier flight for free (result). First of all, I need to thank you material, your persuasion to get the royal mail envelope proved to be very important!

The actual interview was completed in a small room. the interviewer is behind glass, the interviewee is standing. Everyone else left the door open, but i chose to close it so I could speak more freely. I was honest, admitted full responsibility, emphasised my uni work and development since. I think the character references were VERY important. The lad who was sitting near me who was in a similar position didn't have any and he was refused and told to wait for the decision of the waiver. But I was asked no questions relating to ties in the UK.

As I was answering the question "how have you changed since the arrest", he wrote a large 'A' on my notes and circled it. It put me off slightly!

All together, I was interviewed for about 4 minutes. In and out the consulate in under 2 hours.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

It just goes to show the importance of following the instructions to the letter. They asked for a prepay envelope, best thing to do is to provide one!

Anyway, glad it all worked out OK for you.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Just out of curiosity. As I'll just have the B1/B2 visa in my passport and not a waiver of ineligibility, will this mean that I may not be asked into a secondary interview when entering the states? The process may be easier?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Just out of curiosity. As I'll just have the B1/B2 visa in my passport and not a waiver of ineligibility, will this mean that I may not be asked into a secondary interview when entering the states? The process may be easier?
More than likely. Unless you get a CBP officer having a pissy day and he decides he wants to grill you over why you have a visa instead of using the VWP.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering what you mean by this statement, a waiver of eligibility is not something that would be put in a passport.

Regards, JEff
As I'll just have the B1/B2 visa in my passport and not a waiver of ineligibility, ...
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I'm wondering what you mean by this statement, a waiver of eligibility is not something that would be put in a passport.

Regards, JEff
Oh, i don't know the process. I presumed that if you require a waiver of ineligibility that it would in some way show on your passport, or information when your passport is scanned? So there is no difference between straight approval of B2 and one based on a waiver of ineligibility?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, now I understand what you meant.

I wonder if there might be mention that a waiver was required in the notation section of the visa? But we won't find that out from your visa.

Regards, JEff
Oh, i don't know the process. I presumed that if you require a waiver of ineligibility that it would in some way show on your passport, or information when your passport is scanned? So there is no difference between straight approval of B2 and one based on a waiver of ineligibility?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
OK, now I understand what you meant.

I wonder if there might be mention that a waiver was required in the notation section of the visa? But we won't find that out from your visa.

Regards, JEff
Firstly, had a waiver of ineligibility been required, darkstar1 would now be commencing the interminable wait for the ARO to adjudicate on the conoff's recommendation rather than eagerly anticipating the imminent return of passport and "full visa" (sic).

Waivers of ineligibility are exactly like regular visas, except that the waiver conditions are listed as text under the "Annotation" heading. In the case of my two waivers for multiple CIMT offences, the text reads:

212 (SMALL D) (3) (A) WAIVER OF 212 (A) (2) (A) (I) GRANTED
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:56 pm

A waiver of ineligibility is not like a visa, but thank you for answering the question about whether or not the visa shows that a waiver of ineligibilty was required. This is good information.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Waivers of ineligibility are exactly like regular visas, except that the waiver conditions are listed as text under the "Annotation" heading. In the case of my two waivers for multiple CIMT offences, the text reads:

212 (SMALL D) (3) (A) WAIVER OF 212 (A) (2) (A) (I) GRANTED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.