B2 to L2 visa timescales

Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Beet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 to L2 visa timescales

Hi everyone,

I currently have a B2 visa but I will be changing this to a L2 visa when my L1 boyfriend and I get married in the summer. Does anyone have any experience of the timescales for getting this change completed? We'll be getting married in the UK so I can either stay on there and visit the London Embassy or I can return to the US and apply from there. I'd like to go with whichever is quickest so I can apply for my EAD.

Thank you!
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 to L2 visa timescales

Originally Posted by Beet
Does anyone have any experience of the timescales for getting this change completed?
Generally, this is very quick - since it's a derivative visa. Once you get an appointment, a week perhaps. You'll need proof of your (then) husband's valid L-1 visa and a copy of your marriage certificate.

We'll be getting married in the UK so I can either stay on there and visit the London Embassy or I can return to the US and apply from there.
You can't apply for a visa from inside the US.

I'd like to go with whichever is quickest so I can apply for my EAD.
Regardless of the path you choose, you must be in the US to apply for an EAD. It'll take 60-90 days to get it after you apply. You don't need an EAD to get a SSN, because L-2s are able to get a SSN incident to status. You don't need a SSN to get a job, but you'll want one if you want to get paid!

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 to L2 visa timescales

Originally Posted by Beet
Hi everyone,

I currently have a B2 visa but I will be changing this to a L2 visa when my L1 boyfriend and I get married in the summer. Does anyone have any experience of the timescales for getting this change completed? We'll be getting married in the UK so I can either stay on there and visit the London Embassy or I can return to the US and apply from there. I'd like to go with whichever is quickest so I can apply for my EAD.

Thank you!
Just being pedantic but you wont change your visa from a B-2. You'll keep that visa in your passport and it will still be valid. In addition you will have an L-2.

I have a B-2, a now redundant derivative and a work visa in my PP. I flew in on Sunday and the CBP was going to admit me as B-2 as that was the first visa she came across in the PP. Just as well I was watching her.
The timeframe is of your own making - make the apt, go to the apt and then up to 10 days later get the PP back.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.