Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Interview next week, arrest included need help!

B2 Interview next week, arrest included need help!

Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

catdogcali is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile B2 Interview next week, arrest included need help!

Hi there,

I just scheduled an interview for a B2 visa next week. I need some advice...

1) I have been arrested, however, the case was dismissed and the charges were dropped, long story short my dad got into an argument with our neighbor because dad would park his car too close to his (crazy!), dude punched him in the nose and neighbors called the police, police show up and the guy my dad got into an argument said my dad had a loaded gun inside the car (which was a lie...) so me and dad were initially charged for illegal firearm possession altho the charges were then dropped and the case was dismissed. What should I put in the DS-160? Explain too much? Just said "Yes, Case dismissed and charges dropped" but don't mention the firearm thing and only tell if the VO asks?

2) VWP Overstay (3 months) 12 years ago, will this have a huge impact?

Got a great job @ GOV, with a good salary (around 5KUSD/Month)...

P.S: I'm bringing all the court documents to the interview, just in case
Thank you so much for your advices!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Interview next week, arrest included need help!

Originally Posted by catdogcali
What should I put in the DS-160?
Generally speaking, outline exactly what happened - but be brief, don't elaborate, and don't embellish. Stick to the facts and only the facts. Don't offer commentary, don't try to explain why, and don't give opinion.

VWP Overstay (3 months) 12 years ago, will this have a huge impact?
Probably not.

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick response!

I put something like "Yes, case dismissed, charges dropped, court papers available on interview. Back in 2005, my father had an argument with a neighbor because dad would park his car too close to this guys car, one day a thing lead into another and this guy punched my dad in the face and broke his nose, the neighbors called the police and the guy said my dad and I had a weapon and that's the reason he punched my dad"

Does that explanation sound OK? That's actually what happened...

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Generally speaking, outline exactly what happened - but be brief, don't elaborate, and don't embellish. Stick to the facts and only the facts. Don't offer commentary, don't try to explain why, and don't give opinion.

Probably not.

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I put something like "Yes, case dismissed, charges dropped, court papers available on interview. Back in 2005, my father had an argument with a neighbor because dad would park his car too close to this guys car, one day a thing lead into another and this guy punched my dad in the face and broke his nose, the neighbors called the police and the guy said my dad and I had a weapon and that's the reason he punched my dad." ....
I wouldn't mention the weapon unless you (i) prefix it with "alleged... " and (ii) make it clear that there was no weapon, that it was unsubstantiated allegation, ...... and presumably that was one of the reasons the charges were dropped, right?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I put something like "Yes, case dismissed, charges dropped, court papers available on interview. Back in 2005, my father had an argument with a neighbor because dad would park his car too close to this guys car, one day a thing lead into another and this guy punched my dad in the face and broke his nose, the neighbors called the police and the guy said my dad and I had a weapon and that's the reason he punched my dad"

Does that explanation sound OK? That's actually what happened...
I wouldn't even write that. I would simply put the date of arrest, the exact wording of the arrest / charge and the result (ie, dismissed).
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wouldn't mention the weapon unless you (i) prefix it with "alleged... " and (ii) make it clear that there was no weapon, that it was unsubstantiated allegation, ...... and presumably that was one of the reasons the charges were dropped, right?
can you write it for me as an example as i dont know which is the right way to say it or put it in words
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

can you write it for me as an example as i dont know which is the right way to say it or put it in words
Do you have a copy of the original charge sheet? Just take what is written there and put it on the DS-160 section along with 'Charges Dismissed' and the date they were formally dismissed.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you an example, taken directly from my own DS-160 and VCU-1 forms:

03 FEB 1999 - CRIMINAL DAMAGE - PROSECUTION OFFERED NO EVIDENCE, CASE DISMISSED
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I'll give you an example, taken directly from my own DS-160 and VCU-1 forms:
^^ What he said. Keep it short and sweet.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Charged of carrying a fireaarm but was a false acusation, do i put false gun possetion thanks for the help folks
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Charged of carrying a fireaarm but was a false acusation, do i put false gun possetion thanks for the help folks
Quote the actual charge if you know what it was, then just say "charges dropped" or words to that effect. You will have plenty of time to explain the full circumstances at your interview.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does that explanation sound OK?
Actually, it sounds overly long and wordy... and, contrary to my suggestion, tries to explain why things happened. The "why" is irrelevant. State the facts, and only the facts - which, from what you've written, was that you were falsely charged with possession of a weapon. What led up to the charge is irrelevant. What your dad did or didn't do is irrelevant. Don't embellish, don't add commentary, and keep it simple.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 11th 2013 at 9:12 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Quote the actual charge if you know what it was, then just say "charges dropped" or words to that effect. You will have plenty of time to explain the full circumstances at your interview.
"2005 - Father and I charged for allegedly carrying a firearm, charges dropped and case dismissed as a result of a fake accusation"

What does that look like? Can I make it look any better?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

"2005 - Father and I charged for allegedly carrying a firearm, charges dropped and case dismissed as a result of a fake accusation"

Your father is irrelevant. He isn't applying for a visa, you are. Try this:

2005 - Unauthorized possession of firearm - charges dropped, case dismissed
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From your original post, it sounds like it's only you applying for a visa, right? Not your father?

If that's the case, I would put "I was charged for allegedly carrying a firearm; charges were dropped and case was dismissed."

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.