British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 Denied VWP approved (surprisingly) but now..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-denied-vwp-approved-surprisingly-but-now-761274/)

crg Jun 13th 2012 4:09 am

Re: B2 Denied VWP approved (surprisingly) but now..?

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10111516)
Hi guys,

I posted a thread nearly two weeks ago about my b2 visa interview, and was denied due to 'lack of ties'. I then 10 days later applied for a VWP after being told my chances are slim and with searching around on here through forums I was pretty sure my VWP would be denied because of my very recent visa denial, but then I was more than surprised to have been approved :thumbsup: YAY :D

Now whilst searching through the forums I noticed that my next obstacle is US CBP, what are my chances getting through them? And what can I do or say or take with me to gain entry into US, would a return ticket help?

Many thanks in advance

Just so it is clear, did you answer yes to the question about being previously refused a visa when you applied for the ESTA?

Summer1 Jun 14th 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by crg (Post 10117030)
Just so it is clear, did you answer yes to the question about being previously refused a visa when you applied for the ESTA?

Yeh i did, which is y i was so shocked to b approved an ESTA!!

Originally Posted by sajid3834 (Post 10116423)
Congrats anyway...I'm in the same position, my B1/B2 has pending for nearly two yrs and I'm thinking for applying via ESTA

Pls keep us posted if or when you decide to cross the pond and share your exp. on POE

Sajid

Hi, I'll deffo keep u updated with what happens at POE. How is it that ur B1/2 visa taking so long?

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd (Post 10115549)
Summer1,

Congratulations are in order, I believe!

Thank you, and advice taken :)

Ragnox Jun 16th 2012 8:29 am

I very much doubt you will have any problems. I have used VWP for many trips to the US I have always stayed for the maximum length i.e 90 days. Just have letters of sponsorship, monies and if in need get them to call the person you are staying with in the US! They cant simply deny you, they have to have a valid and full reason!

Good luck!

fatbrit Jun 16th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Ragnox (Post 10122983)
They cant simply deny you, they have to have a valid and full reason!

Yeah, right!
How about a belief that the person is intending to immigrate. Your right to challenge any decision on a VWP entry are zero.

Ragnox Jun 16th 2012 8:43 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10122994)
Yeah, right!
How about a belief that the person is intending to immigrate. Your right to challenge any decision on a VWP entry are zero.

Well they have to be able to prove that.

fatbrit Jun 16th 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Ragnox (Post 10122998)
Well they have to be able to prove that.

Prove it to who?

You don't get a court hearing or preponderance of the evidence, though I'd guess the officer needs a nod from his boss

ian-mstm Jun 16th 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Ragnox (Post 10122983)
They cant simply deny you, they have to have a valid and full reason!

Bzzt... wrong! It's very easy to deny! Usually, for a visa application, they'll supply some sort of nebulous reason such as "lack of ties"... but no such flimsy reason is needed to deny you entry on the VWP.

Ian

Ragnox Jun 16th 2012 9:10 am

I can understand I guess. As a VWP frequent user I am merely saying that US Immigration isn't that bad. The story's online are so worse than the actual process.

Bob Jun 16th 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Ragnox (Post 10123027)
I can understand I guess. As a VWP frequent user I am merely saying that US Immigration isn't that bad. The story's online are so worse than the actual process.

They're always great, till they ain't.

Lissbovavd Jun 16th 2012 9:54 am

Ragnox,

Sorry, but you just cannot make a generalized comment such as that.
You quite obviously have been quite lucky this far as far as your dealings with US Immigration is concerned. Good for you!
What I´m trying to say that it all depends on the individual circumstances at a certain point in time and, most importantly, on the temporary mood and/or personality/character of the individual CBP officer which you happen upon at the POE.
Therefore, sweeping generalizations are pretty meaningless in this context, IMHO.

MoshiMoshi Jun 16th 2012 12:24 pm

Aren't you now banned from the US for 10 years, after a 13-month overstay?

And didn't you decide to overstay after a POE officer told you you were abusing the VWP?

It really doesn't seem like you should be giving VWP advice.

md95065 Jun 16th 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi (Post 10123217)

And didn't you decide to overstay after a POE officer told you you were abusing the VWP?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DavidLemon Jun 16th 2012 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi (Post 10123217)

LMFAO MoshiMoshi you are spot on and made my day :)

Summer1 Sep 14th 2012 6:23 pm

Bumping an old thread here, but I would like to give an update. So after my b2 bein rejected then esta being approved almost immediately I entered USA just the other day without any problems with the CBP officers, the guy didn't want to see any documents nor was I pulled into a second interview. He only asked my purpose of visit, how long I'll b staying (which is 2 months) and what I do back in London, he then stamped my passport with a 90 day entry n said "enjoy your stay" :)
I really was expecting the worst, being sent back to London or having a tough interview with CBP officer.

MarylandNed Sep 15th 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10281838)
Bumping an old thread here, but I would like to give an update. So after my b2 bein rejected then esta being approved almost immediately I entered USA just the other day without any problems with the CBP officers, the guy didn't want to see any documents nor was I pulled into a second interview. He only asked my purpose of visit, how long I'll b staying (which is 2 months) and what I do back in London, he then stamped my passport with a 90 day entry n said "enjoy your stay" :)
I really was expecting the worst, being sent back to London or having a tough interview with CBP officer.

It's not all rubber gloves, Vaseline and "Ben Dover". ;)