British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 Denied VWP approved (surprisingly) but now..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-denied-vwp-approved-surprisingly-but-now-761274/)

Summer1 Jun 11th 2012 12:35 am

B2 Denied VWP approved (surprisingly) but now..?

Hi guys,

I posted a thread nearly two weeks ago about my b2 visa interview, and was denied due to 'lack of ties'. I then 10 days later applied for a VWP after being told my chances are slim and with searching around on here through forums I was pretty sure my VWP would be denied because of my very recent visa denial, but then I was more than surprised to have been approved :thumbsup: YAY :D

Now whilst searching through the forums I noticed that my next obstacle is US CBP, what are my chances getting through them? And what can I do or say or take with me to gain entry into US, would a return ticket help?

Many thanks in advance

GeoffM Jun 11th 2012 12:55 am

Re: B2 Denied VWP approved (surprisingly) but now..?

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10111516)
And what can I do or say or take with me to gain entry into US, would a return ticket help?

An onward ticket is required for VWP travel anyway. Usual advice is proof of home ties - mortgage/rent agreement, statement from employer saying you're needed back on X date, etc.

Summer1 Jun 11th 2012 1:28 am

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I live with my parents so don't pay rent or mortgage etc however, I will definitely have an onward ticket and a letter from my employer saying I am starting work on 'x date', will that be enough?

Bob Jun 11th 2012 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10111564)
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I live with my parents so don't pay rent or mortgage etc however, I will definitely have an onward ticket and a letter from my employer saying I am starting work on 'x date', will that be enough?

It helps, but it's much harder to skip on a mortgage payment than it is to not start a job...

Double edged sword, but could try flying in via Ireland as you go through pre-clearance, so you don't have far to go if you get bounced but because of that, they do tend to be more strict about things and likely to bounce you than give you the benefit of the doubt kind of luck you might have arriving in th eUS.

ian-mstm Jun 11th 2012 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10111564)
I live with my parents so don't pay rent or mortgage...

Has it occurred to you to draw up an agreement with your parents anyway... and then you would have one! You need to think outside the box.

Ian

411 Jun 11th 2012 7:57 am

Great News! I am glad you went against the majority advice you got in your last thread to sit and wait 6months before applying for ESTA :thumbup: As you can see (with all the best intention) they all gave wrong advice.

My experience of when I got ESTA shortly after being denied was that I carried most of my docs in a ring binder but the officer I got at CBP didnt ask about my recent denial instead he told me I had chosen a good time to fly since it was super bowl weekend.

In my case I was very confident and specific about the reason why I was traveling which was to purchase a business property. I think having clear answers ready will certainly help. The officer asked more about what I was going to do more than what I did back in the UK.

materialcontroller Jun 11th 2012 9:51 am

Originally Posted by 411 (Post 10112045)
Great News! I am glad you went against the majority advice you got in your last thread to sit and wait 6months before applying for ESTA :thumbup: As you can see (with all the best intention) they all gave wrong advice.

My experience of when I got ESTA shortly after being denied was that I carried most of my docs in a ring binder but the officer I got at CBP didnt ask about my recent denial instead he told me I had chosen a good time to fly since it was super bowl weekend.

In my case I was very confident and specific about the reason why I was traveling which was to purchase a business property. I think having clear answers ready will certainly help. The officer asked more about what I was going to do more than what I did back in the UK.

Withe the greatest of respect, the "majority advice" to wait 6 months before trying an ESTA application was/is given with the intent of maximising the chances of success.

Sure ESTAs are approved in a shorter timeframe, such as here. But without doubt, the chances of a successful ESTA outcome do increase as more time elapses since a visa denial. Pointing that fact out does not make it "wrong advice".

ian-mstm Jun 11th 2012 12:56 pm

As you can see (with all the best intention) they all gave wrong advice.

In future, I suggest you choose your words more carefully.

Ian

DavidLemon Jun 11th 2012 1:55 pm

I dont recall giving wrong advice on the last thread, so think your statement is a tad harsh and incorrect.

Congrats to OP on VWP approval though, that is good news. Good luck and fingers crossed no issues at POE

Summer1 Jun 11th 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10111648)
Has it occurred to you to draw up an agreement with your parents anyway... and then you would have one! You need to think outside the box.

Ian

actually I didn't think of that, so thanks I'll do that!!

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10112648)
Congrats to OP on VWP approval though, that is good news. Good luck and fingers crossed no issues at POE

Thanks, hopefully the CBP will go easy on me :fingerscrossed: IA

helpmeplease123 Jun 11th 2012 8:04 pm

As you can see (with all the best intention) they all gave wrong advice

Did you really need to hijack the OPs thread to vent your own bitterness? This comment was completely unnecessary. No one gave any incorrect advice. It was suggested that the OP would have more chance of being approved if she waited, this is still the case. She got lucky and that's great but this is most likely an exception to what would more frequently be a denial based on other posters experiences.

Summer1 - Congrats! :) As mentioned before, be prepared to answer all questions about your trip honestly but without volunteering too much extra info and you should be fine!

Summer1 Jun 11th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123 (Post 10113274)
Summer1 - Congrats! :) As mentioned before, be prepared to answer all questions about your trip honestly but without volunteering too much extra info and you should be fine!

Thanks, yeah i was thinking if i over do it n try too hard they may think im annoying n send me on the next flight back :getcoat: haha

Lissbovavd Jun 12th 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Summer1 (Post 10111516)
Hi guys,

I posted a thread nearly two weeks ago about my b2 visa interview, and was denied due to 'lack of ties'. I then 10 days later applied for a VWP after being told my chances are slim and with searching around on here through forums I was pretty sure my VWP would be denied because of my very recent visa denial, but then I was more than surprised to have been approved :thumbsup: YAY :D

Now whilst searching through the forums I noticed that my next obstacle is US CBP, what are my chances getting through them? And what can I do or say or take with me to gain entry into US, would a return ticket help?

Many thanks in advance

Summer1,

Congratulations are in order, I believe!
I would only like to add that IMHO it is fairly likely that you may well have a harder time at the POE the sooner you try to visit the US.
I believe it rather likely that the more time passes between your recent B2 visa denial and your next journey to the US, the better your chances of being "let in" at the POE.
The more "eager" to visit the US you may seem to be in the eyes of the CBP, the greater the risk of experiencing some troubles at the POE.
Again, as your recent experience proves, there are always exceptions to the general rule, but I do think that my point is a valid one in this context.
Best of luck!

411 Jun 13th 2012 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10112648)
think your statement is a tad harsh

point taken

sajid3834 Jun 13th 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by 411 (Post 10116069)
point taken

Congrats anyway...I'm in the same position, my B1/B2 has pending for nearly two yrs and I'm thinking for applying via ESTA

Pls keep us posted if or when you decide to cross the pond and share your exp. on POE

Sajid