B2 denied today - UK resident

Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

ewoks is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy B2 denied today - UK resident

I was denied a b2 visa.

My story:

Since 2004 I have been travelling back and forth to the USA (10 times in total for durations of 1-3 months at a time) to visit friends. I normally land in Newarkl Int. Airport. Last time I went there in Sept 2008 they told me that I need to apply for a tourist visa as I may be denied entry for "abusing the visa waiver program". I always come back on time.

So I applied for the b2 today. I brought everything I needed with me. I am self employed, I showed £8k in bank, company registration, company bank account (ltd company set up in jan '09). Letter from person I stay with stating that I am invited to come. Parents letters, bank letter stating when I opened my account, etc, etc.

The guy mentioned that my Aunt pertitioned for me when I was 7 yrs old so I could go with my parents who were applying for a green card. I am now 30. I told the guy at the interview that I was unaware that my aunt pertioned for me but my parents did apply for greencards back in the 80's. He asked if the girl I stay with is my gf, I said no. He asked how much I make a month I said £4k. I told him what I do: internet marketing. Showed tickets to Los angeles in June with 4 other people, all friends of mine, then I was planning to fly to Newark to stay for a month then back to the UK.

He told me that I was denied because he fails to believe that I don't intend on coming back to the UK. Everytime I go there I come back.

What can I do about this right now? I have booked a 3 week holiday to Los Angeles in June. In Newark they are always typing crap in the computer, everything I say.

I'm worried I'll be kicked out if I try to go on holiday in June because Newark was so hardcore last time around. Last time I was there was roughly 5-6 months ago, should I risk it?

What happens if they kick me out? How does that affect things for me in the future?

Does it sound like I did anything wrong with regards to my application?

Mostly I just want to know what happens if they kick me out and if it is worth the risk to try going there, since I'll be flying to the other side of usa...I don't know, any help would be most appreciated.

Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 denied today - UK resident

Of the past 5 years, you've spent as much as 50% of your time in the US. There's your problem.

This thread
might explain some of the reasons why and subsequent threads might offer you some solutions.
Keep in mind as you read that his visa was canceled, making his situation markedly different from yours. But the background reading will be good for you.

You will have to declare the denied visa at entry to the US, and may have to go to Secondary Inspection, if you choose to travel.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

ewoks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Of the past 5 years, you've spent as much as 50% of your time in the US. There's your problem.

This thread
might explain some of the reasons why and subsequent threads might offer you some solutions.
Keep in mind as you read that his visa was canceled, making his situation markedly different from yours. But the background reading will be good for you.

You will have to declare the denied visa at entry to the US, and may have to go to Secondary Inspection, if you choose to travel.
Thanks.

Secondary inspection? How bad is that?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewoks
Thanks.

Secondary inspection? How bad is that?
Secondary inspection just means you get moved to another room and get further questioning by an immigration officer, who then determines whether you can enter the USA or not.

If you've been grilled like this in the past (your last trip to Newark?), you've probably already been to secondary and just didn't know it.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:46 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

What did it say when you updated the information in ESTA to reflect your current situation?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

This thread
I think it was this thread from the same user that I meant to link for you.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:03 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would assume that if you work in Internet Marketing then the IO probably believes like Meaunxa said you are here 50% of the time, and with your job title you could live and work anywhere in the world, I would not be surprised if he thought you were living here in the US and working outta the house or your laptop.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewoks
What can I do about this right now?
There's nothing you can do... except fly over on the VWP and hope they let you in. If they do, great.... if they don't, well... it'll be a quick trip home.

I have booked a 3 week holiday to Los Angeles in June. In Newark they are always typing crap in the computer, everything I say.
No matter where you enter the US, the computers are all interconnected so the same information is going to show up wherever you are. You must declare the B-2 denial.

'm worried I'll be kicked out if I try to go on holiday in June because Newark was so hardcore last time around.
You should be worried... you might be kicked out. So, you have to determine whether or not it's worth the risk. If you're in the UK, you might want to try flying out of Shannon... for many flights you preclear US immigration before you ever get on the plane... so, if you're allowed on the plane, you're good to go. If not, it's a shorter trip home.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:29 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's nothing you can do... except fly over on the VWP and hope they let you in. If they do, great.... if they don't, well... it'll be a quick trip home.
It may not be a quick trip depending on when air carrier has another flight to the US. It could be hours or days and they don't put you up at the Ritz Carlton while you are waiting.