B2 Advice Please.

Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Advice Please.

Originally Posted by JRG67
Maybe the bff is a female hence the split-up with the UK girlfriend
But the OP refers to the bff as "he". And the ex-girlfriend is a "she". So unless the OP is a "she", that's not gonna work.

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kanechattey
Jrg - i dont see the melodrama in wanting to visit the US for 6 months while i have nothing else to do.
It's not you that gets to decide that, though. The simple fact of the matter is that most people in similar situations to yourself that apply for a B2 have it denied. Because the ESTA then also becomes invalid (because your circumstances have changed, ie you now have a visa denial), you have to reapply for ESTA. And most people that do that find out that ESTA is denied too, maybe for 6 months or more. So your <6 month plan to visit the US turns into a >6 month ban* from the US instead.

Be aware that you may not even get to show any evidence like detailed itineraries at the interview. There are plenty of stories on this forum of people carefully collating the evidence - and then not being allowed to use it.

Don't think of trying to exit the US for a day or three for a "visa run" to renew the 90-day VWP. That is likely to end in tears too.

* - Not really a ban but might as well be.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

my place to stay is a sofa bed in an apartment in hollywood with my friend. He has friends in san fran and san diego that said we can go out and stay with them for a couple of weeks if we wanted to.
So you want to stay in the USA for 6 months with your friend in Hollywood. You said he's in school, so I assume he'll be in school or studying most of the time you'll be in the USA, correct? So you're going to hang out alone most days...or you'll go traveling around sightseeing in CA alone?

In the whole 6-month period (approximately 24 weeks), you might be spending a couple of weeks in San Francisco and a couple of weeks in San Diego? OK, that takes up 4 weeks of the 24, traveling around. Figure a couple of weeks to relax and hang out in Hollywood. What do you plan to do the other 18 weeks?

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Read post #7 again. Yes, it might be a typo, then again it may be correct.

Regards, JEff

Maybe the bff is a female hence the split-up with the UK girlfriend
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:12 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Or OP could be a female, with a change of heart.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I always promised myself that if we broke up i would go and explore America!
Respectfully, the US isn't interested in your promises! You might think your plan sounds well thought out and logical, but all it does is throw up red flags for an immigration officer. Stick to the VWP... you'll thank us later on!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, could be. But I wonder why you seem to be going with the less likely explanation rather than the most likely.

We'll find out the true situation sooner or later.

Regards, JEff

Or OP could be a female, with a change of heart.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not always.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Being halfway through a degree seems like a pretty concrete reason to come back to the UK surely. Anything can be broken and left behind when you speak of it in that way.
You asked for advice. You got it. I don't see why you feel the need to argue with it.

If you apply for a B2, most likely you'll be denied... take the time to read through the endless previous posts on here on identical situations to yours.
If you get denied for the B2, not only will you not be going for 6 months, you won't be going at all. You'll need to apply for a new ESTA and that will probably get denied to.
There is a chance you'll get all green lights and it will work out - the question is quite simply about your tolerance for risk.
If I were you'd i'd definitely take a certain 3 months over a combination of large probability of nothing/small probability of 6 months.

What would you do while your friend is at work/school all day anyway? I live in LA and trust me when I say you can't do anything without a car - which I assume you won't have due to your $10,000 budget... are you going to California to spend 6 months watching TV at his place?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Guini is an unknown quantity at this point

Im glad that you took the time to post in this forum before going through with your plan of applying for a B2 VISA. I got mine denied in August last year when planing a longer trip to the US. Im a Swedish citizen and I had a full time job that I got a leave from, an apartment in Sweden and a full intenirary of who I would visit and when and ofc about 12 000 euros in savings
But as someone pointed out you might just not even be able to show this, they can just not see a reason for you to go to the US for more then the given 3 months by the ESTA.

I still haven't tried to reapply for a ESTA and I'm leaving it for the day that it is really necessary for me to go to the US again. The people at the US embassy did not see my chances of getting a new ESTA as especially big in the near future.

So take everyone's advice here (I wish I would have known about this site before) and go with a three month trip to the US and spend the rest of your months somewhere else.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:31 pm

Point of clarification: for more than the 3 months allowed under the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA is pre-clearance to use the VWP, it's the VWP that sets the conditions for the visit.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Guini
... they can just not see a reason for you to go to the US for more then the given 3 months by the ESTA.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Guini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Point of clarification: for more than the 3 months allowed under the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA is pre-clearance to use the VWP, it's the VWP that sets the conditions for the visit.

Regards, JEff

Ofc, sorry I meant VWP and not ESTA.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

90 days not 3 months.

Just being picky.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the correction. And picky is good.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Boiler
90 days not 3 months.

Just being picky.