B1 to L1 can it be done?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default B1 to L1 can it be done?

My company is filing for my L1B but they need me over ASAP they are asking if they took me on a 3 month TDY which would get me a B1 visa could this then be changed to a L1B?

I have searched BE but could not find the answer

Thanks
Steve
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1 to L1 can it be done?

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
My company is filing for my L1B but they need me over ASAP they are asking if they took me on a 3 month TDY which would get me a B1 visa could this then be changed to a L1B?

Thanks
Steve
What kind of work would they have you be doing during those 3 months on the B1? There are restrictions on what you can do with that visa.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think you can work (apart from vwp similar work) on a B visa AND the time spend in the US on the B visa would count out of the last years experience - so if you have not worked for them for more than a year you could stuff your chances.

To get there faster - try getting them to look into a L1a as it doesnt require labour certification and is faster to get (and easier to go for GC). It doesnt HAVE to be a person manager - look up functional manager on here for more ideas.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can't their lawyers answer that? Or, if they need you ASAP, then perhaps they should look at an L1A.

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MsElui
i dont think you can work (apart from vwp similar work) on a B visa AND the time spend in the US on the B visa would count out of the last years experience - so if you have not worked for them for more than a year you could stuff your chances.

To get there faster - try getting them to look into a L1a as it doesnt require labour certification and is faster to get (and easier to go for GC). It doesnt HAVE to be a person manager - look up functional manager on here for more ideas.
Looking that up now

Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

memiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nice

There is a B1 in lieu of H1b. That will allow you to work and do basically the same thing as if you would be there on a H1. This is not an advertised route nor is it given out a lot.
My husband is currently in the US that way, prior to re-submitting the L1 petition as his company does need him over there as well.
So yes, there are possibilities but you'd better ask the company lawyer to take care of this so you have a good letter to show at the consulate and at the PoE

It is correct though that the time spent on the B1 in lieu of H1b does not count towrds the 1 year work requirement (but I believe you have been working for the same company for several years already).
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by memiek
There is a B1 in lieu of H1b. That will allow you to work and do basically the same thing as if you would be there on a H1. This is not an advertised route nor is it given out a lot.
My husband is currently in the US that way, prior to re-submitting the L1 petition as his company does need him over there as well.
So yes, there are possibilities but you'd better ask the company lawyer to take care of this so you have a good letter to show at the consulate and at the PoE

It is correct though that the time spent on the B1 in lieu of H1b does not count towrds the 1 year work requirement (but I believe you have been working for the same company for several years already).
How interesting and just what this forum is about, people sharing similar circumstances thank you very much i will ask at work in the morning if this is something we can do

Thanks again
Steve
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Steve
Hi:

Company should talk to their lawyers. Don't forget that premium processing is available on the petition.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Company should talk to their lawyers. Don't forget that premium processing is available on the petition.
Thanks
They are doing premium for the L1 but want me out there for next Monday
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

To get there faster - try getting them to look into a L1a as it doesnt require labour certification and is faster to get
I don't think there is any difference between the L1A and L1B in terms of visa processing times. The quoted processing times do not distinguish between L1A and L1B and premium processing can be used for either, so in either case it would be the time for premium processing + however long it would take to get a visa interview appointment to get the stamp in the passport.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
They are doing premium for the L1 but want me out there for next Monday
Hi:

I have a feeling that this is a "wait then hurry up" situation. Talk to the lawyers handling the thing. Off the top of my head, the three month provision can cause problems if nothing else does.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I have a feeling that this is a "wait then hurry up" situation. Talk to the lawyers handling the thing. Off the top of my head, the three month provision can cause problems if nothing else does.
You are right with the wait then hurry up situation, they have been talking back and forurth for months then all of a sudden "WE NEED YOU NOW" i dont think the manager understands the ins and outs of the visa process "if only it was that easy" I dont want to upset the apple cart at this late stage so just going to go with the flow

I am just looking on the net for info on L1A if i can use that insstead of the L1B it would make the green card process a lot easier in the future

Thanks
Steve