Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B1/B2 Visa & Re-Entry Advice Needed Please

B1/B2 Visa & Re-Entry Advice Needed Please

Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

dizzyloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry B1/B2 Visa & Re-Entry Advice Needed Please

Hi all,

Right well here goes..

As a British Citizen I applied to the US Embassy to obtain B1/B2 Visa because I wanted to stay in the US and spend xmas and a Baptism in April, taking me over my 3 months by a few weeks or so. I was granted the Visitor Visa which was great. The problem is here though.

In Dec 07 I came to the US to attend a Baptism and visit family & friends. My return flight was booked for April 19th. One week prior the leaving the US i rang the travel agent to confirm my departure and the lady told me that they had been trying to contact for 2 weeks in Feb to inform me that my flight had been canceled because of a problem with GB Airways. My overseas cell phone was switched off because i couldnt use it in the US so I had no way of knowing. Anyway, they book me on the next available flight ( 3 plane trips in total to reach my destination) for May 12th. I go to the airport check in, hand over my luggage and then the check in lady DECIDES to tells me that my flight is delayed (Continental Airlines) meaning I will miss my other connecting flights and there is nothing they can do for me - They advised me to ring my travel agency and sort it out with them. So I go back to the house with my family and ring the agency. They tell me that they cannot get me out of the US until June 2nd - Im the meantime I ring work to tell them the situation and luckily they are ok with everything. Finally I leave June 2nd and come home - At last!!

The problem I have is the following: I have been invited by my family to spend xmas and new year with them again in Dec 08 and will have 3 weeks vacation time in that period. Will POE deny me entry for only being out of the US for 6 months? Can I explain what happened? I have proof that this happened with emails, stubs from the airline etc. What do you think may happen? I know no-one can determine the outcome apart from the Officer but what are my chances?

Any advice would be most welcome

Thank you
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1/B2 Visa & Re-Entry Advice Needed Please

Are you kidding? On any online travel site (lastminute, expedia, etc) you can find flights from most US cities to London leaving tomorrow. It's simply not believable that your departure was delayed by a month and a half because you couldn't find a flight.

By what date were you supposed to leave the US? If you didn't overstay you probably won't have any problems.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

No i'm not kidding. I don't live in London anymore I live in another country and needed 4 flights to reach my destination. The travel agency told me that the problem was with GB Airways ( connecting flight from London to destination) and that is why they tried contacting me in Feb so they could arrange another flight plan for me. As my phone was switched off I had no way of knowing until it was too late. They had to find me 4 connecting flights - Confirm with Continental & the other airline that I could fly on those dates with them, make sure the connecting flights didnt involve staying days on end in another country and make the exchange, I had to PAY for the change in flights (much to my disgust) and to top things off the flight they could find me 1 month later was leaving from another state so I had to pay out of pocket to fly to another state just to get the hell out of the US. I DID NOT overstay my visa but it was an ordeal.

My I-94 was stamped until June 22nd and I left June 2nd. I even threatened to sue the agency but to no avail. I kept everything just in case it poses a problem on my next visit so I can prove to them that the agency was at fault and not me. What else could I do?

I just want to know if it will pose a problem going back on vacation to the US after spending 5 months there and then re-visiting after 6 months.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Many people spend 6 months in the US (mainly Florida) for the winter, then 6 months in their own country, before returning to Florida for the winter again. You should have no problems.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt sound like you would have an issue to me - you left before the deadline and will have spent just as long outside the country as in it. Maybe i would take evidence of return flight, letter from boss stating date exepcted back at work etc just as extra evidence?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dizzyloo
Hi all,

Right well here goes..

As a British Citizen I applied to the US Embassy to obtain B1/B2 Visa because I wanted to stay in the US and spend xmas and a Baptism in April, taking me over my 3 months by a few weeks or so. I was granted the Visitor Visa which was great. The problem is here though.

In Dec 07 I came to the US to attend a Baptism and visit family & friends. My return flight was booked for April 19th. One week prior the leaving the US i rang the travel agent to confirm my departure and the lady told me that they had been trying to contact for 2 weeks in Feb to inform me that my flight had been canceled because of a problem with GB Airways. My overseas cell phone was switched off because i couldnt use it in the US so I had no way of knowing. Anyway, they book me on the next available flight ( 3 plane trips in total to reach my destination) for May 12th. I go to the airport check in, hand over my luggage and then the check in lady DECIDES to tells me that my flight is delayed (Continental Airlines) meaning I will miss my other connecting flights and there is nothing they can do for me - They advised me to ring my travel agency and sort it out with them. So I go back to the house with my family and ring the agency. They tell me that they cannot get me out of the US until June 2nd - Im the meantime I ring work to tell them the situation and luckily they are ok with everything. Finally I leave June 2nd and come home - At last!!

The problem I have is the following: I have been invited by my family to spend xmas and new year with them again in Dec 08 and will have 3 weeks vacation time in that period. Will POE deny me entry for only being out of the US for 6 months? Can I explain what happened? I have proof that this happened with emails, stubs from the airline etc. What do you think may happen? I know no-one can determine the outcome apart from the Officer but what are my chances?

Any advice would be most welcome

Thank you
Hi:

No sure thing on any admission. Carry the documentation on your current visit with intent to return and the documentation of what happened. After all, you do have a history of admission and timely departure.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the advice peeps, it is much appreciated

I will take everything I have from my recent visit including a letter from work stating when I am due back.

Thanks again