B1/B2 visa - Going to Canada

Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

texasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond repute
Default B1/B2 visa - Going to Canada

I'm a British citizen. and I received my B1/B2 visa today. I wonder what the situation is with regards to going into Canada after visiting the USA. For example, can I stay 6 months in Canada immediately following a 6 month stay in the USA? Obviously assuming border control let me in would this be possible in theory? I already have the ETA for Canada arranged also.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1/B2 visa - Going to Canada

Why did you need a B-1/B-2 instead on using the VWP?

I'm no expert, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to visit Canada directly after the USA. It seems you will have proof of onward travel to Canada at the US POE, right? And you will have proof that you'll be leaving Canada when you arrive at the Canadian POE?

I take it you are of retirement age and have proof of funds to cover a year without working?

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:55 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the third time you've asked. The answer is still the same.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

texasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
This is the third time you've asked. The answer is still the same.
The question has changed because I now have a B1/B2 visa where before I had a visa waiver. I need clarification on the difference because it changes things.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 11:12 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

But the answer is the same no matter what visa you have (or waiver). No entry is ever guaranteed. You are no more or less likely to be denied entry into Canada because of how you entered the USA. It has nothing to do with Canada. When you arrive at the border you will be inspected by border patrol and depending on the officer's instincts regarding the purpose of your trip and the truthfulness to your story you will either be admitted or denied.

I think you keep asking because you like to keep reminding people you're going on a big trip.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texasdream
I'm a British citizen. and I received my B1/B2 visa today. I wonder what the situation is with regards to going into Canada after visiting the USA. For example, can I stay 6 months in Canada immediately following a 6 month stay in the USA? Obviously assuming border control let me in would this be possible in theory? I already have the ETA for Canada arranged also.
You can, but ultimately it depends on whether the inspector thinks you have non-immigrant intent, that is the criteria, visa or no. If you've just been in the US for six months they will know that as CBP and CBSA can see each other's entry records for third country nationals, so CBSA will be very suspicious most likely.

You'd need solid evidence of non-immigrant intent, bank records, plane ticket, etc. because plainly you're not working.