B1/B2 v VWP

Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:19 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

UKC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B1/B2 v VWP

Does anybody from a VWP applicable country have experience in applying for a B1/B2 on the grounds that they needed/preferred/wanted more than a 3 month visit at any one time?

I know a B1/B2 is difficult to get if VWP is available, but the extendible 6 month validity of the B makes it in mind a very different beast - and more preferable.

The added complication of a B denial potentially scuppering future access to the VWP doesn't help either.

Last edited by UKC; Jun 1st 2011 at 4:19 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B1/B2 v VWP

I do.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKC
Does anybody from a VWP applicable country have experience in applying for a B1/B2 on the grounds that they needed/preferred/wanted more than a 3 month visit at any one time?
"Needed" might get you a B1/B2 visa, depending on why you need it.

"Preferred" and "Wanted" probably won't get you the B1/B2 because you are able to travel on the VWP and don't "Need" to spend more time in the USA for your visit.

I do not have any direct experience, though.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:42 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do.
LOL - I should remember this forum has many posters experienced in dealing with public officials!

So, since you do, would you care to share your experience? I for one would be interested in reading about it - but it's OK if you didn't want to, you won't be deported.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKC
LOL - I should remember this forum has many posters experienced in dealing with public officials!

So, since you do, would you care to share your experience? I for one would be interested in reading about it - but it's OK if you didn't want to, you won't be deported.

If you are single or with little ties to the UK, forget it.

If you close to retired, there are chances.

Essentially, like you said if you are eligible for 90 days VWP it will he hard to get B1/2. If you apply and get denied, you will ahve to disclose it on your ESTA.

The general thought process is, why would anyone need more than 90 days to do touristy stuff....
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:08 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only

The general thought process is, why would anyone need more than 90 days to do touristy stuff....
I appreciate that point however, why would anyone from a non-VWP country need more than 90 days to do touristy stuff either?

... another words, since it's available, it's disappointing it's not available to me - especially since I am from a supposed 'favored' country whose visitors apparently require less 'scrutiny' from a US immigration standpoint
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
If you are single or with little ties to the UK, forget it.

If you close to retired, there are chances.

Essentially, like you said if you are eligible for 90 days VWP it will he hard to get B1/2. If you apply and get denied, you will ahve to disclose it on your ESTA.

Add US citizen love interest...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKC
I appreciate that point however, why would anyone from a non-VWP country need more than 90 days to do touristy stuff either?

... another words, since it's available, it's disappointing it's not available to me - especially since I am from a supposed 'favored' country whose visitors apparently require less 'scrutiny' from a US immigration standpoint
You ARE favored. That is why you get to visit with no visa. Your peers in another country may *never* get a chance to even visit the US let alone what you have been doing.
You have so much, you have no idea that you should be grateful for what is on your plate.

Oh, pointless.

You can search out the forum, there are many threads from people just like you who just "want" to hang out in the US with their USC love interest and do things their own way.
You're not 'favored' enough for that. No one is.

btw, RE 'scrutiny'... the reason Poland (who are actively petitioning the US to be added to the VWP) and other countries are excluded from the VWP isn't because they are not as awesome or special as the UK or the included countries. A primary measure is how many people come in pretending to be a tourist and immigrating instead. AKA "overstaying" their admission.
I'm sure you wouldn't want to be the one who tips the UK out of the equation (wouldn't that be embarrassing?).
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:25 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Add US citizen love interest...
I know that's often suggested as making someone a greater overstay risk but it just doesn't make sense in every case.

Why would someone jump through hoops to apply for a B, turn up for a physical interview, pay lots of money, then come to the US - and overstay?

.. when they could just turn up on VWP and AOS/overstay for free ?

Likewise if they didn't have external ties.

I'm guessing the majority of overstays WILL NOT be from VISA applicants that have the VWP available. Anyone have the figures?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKC

Remember, having access to more than 90 days does not mean they get more than 90 days. It's still up to the POE.I read of a case where the in laws were abusing the B1/B2 and visiting US far too often. One time, they took their grand child overseas and returned. The POE saw the trend and gave them 2 day B1/B2 admit, enuf time to drop the grand child and back on their way. I think I read this story on BE, could be wrong.

VWP is a cool thing to have access to. "Most of the countries selected by the U.S. government to be in the program are high-income economies with a very high Human Development Index and are regarded as developed countries. The criteria stress passport security and a very low nonimmigrant visa refusal rate: not more than 3% as specified in Section 217 (c)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as well as ongoing compliance with the immigration law of the United States"

You should really read the Wiki. you are fortunate to ahve access to VWP.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:35 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
You ARE favored. That is why you get to visit with no visa. Your peers in another country may *never* get a chance to even visit the US let alone what you have been doing.
You have so much, you have no idea that you should be grateful for what is on your plate.

Oh, pointless.
mmm, You misread. I didn't say that I thought I was favored or not, merely that from a US standpoint, citizens from a VWP country had a level of trust conferred upon them, thereby exempting them from close scrutiny before entering.

I already know I am very fortunate - though not exclusively because I have the opportunity to visit the US
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKC
I know that's often suggested as making someone a greater overstay risk but it just doesn't make sense in every case.

Why would someone jump through hoops to apply for a B, turn up for a physical interview, pay lots of money, then come to the US - and overstay?

I'm guessing the majority of overstays WILL NOT be from VISA applicants that have the VWP available. Anyone have the figures?
Unfortunately, your arguments won't fly. The fact is, you are UKC and you get 90 days without any visa requirement. The question is, why do you need more than 90 days.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by UKC

I have a B1 OCS visa, as I need it to work in the Gulf of Mexico. It took a bunch of organising and some letters from my employer etc.

But, I have to use a visa waiver if I come just for holidays with the family.

Thing is, when you leave the USA there is no immigration to check your passport, so unless the airlines hand over the information nobody will know how long you stayed.....

Of course they tell us visa wavers (not waivers) to hand in our I94 when we leave, but people have forgotten to in the past and nothing has been said next time the person entered the USA.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul B
I have a B1 OCS visa, as I need it to work in the Gulf of Mexico. It took a bunch of organising and some letters from my employer etc.

But, I have to use a visa waiver if I come just for holidays with the family.

Thing is, when you leave the USA there is no immigration to check your passport, so unless the airlines hand over the information nobody will know how long you stayed.....

Of course they tell us visa wavers (not waivers) to hand in our I94 when we leave, but people have forgotten to in the past and nothing has been said next time the person entered the USA.
What are you implying?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKC

I applied, did not not get it for the reasons you mentioned.

My only excuse is that I did not know my chances were very very low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.