B-2 Visa help?

Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice
Default B-2 Visa help?

My girlfriend (From USA) and myself (from UK) would like to spend 12 months together in the USA before we actully think about applying for a fiancee` Visa (as we dont want to rush into anything straight away)

From what we have read up on so far, I think I would need to fill in a B-2 Visa.. is this correct?... Or is there any other visa that may fit our situation?

A few questions that we have, if anyone can help we would be most grateful.

1) What are the requirments & documents that I need for a B-2 visa?

2) What are the chances of me getting approved for a B-2 Visa?

3) How long does the process take from start to finish for a B-2 Visa?

4) Also, I'm unemployed without a substantial amout of savings in my bank account... will this affect my application for a B-2 Visa?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B-2 Visa help?

Originally Posted by Craig73
My girlfriend (From USA) and myself (from UK) would like to spend 12 months together in the USA before we actully think about applying for a fiancee` Visa (as we dont want to rush into anything straight away)

From what we have read up on so far, I think I would need to fill in a B-2 Visa.. is this correct?... Or is there any other visa that may fit our situation?

A few questions that we have, if anyone can help we would be most grateful.

1) What are the requirments & documents that I need for a B-2 visa?

2) What are the chances of me getting approved for a B-2 Visa?

3) How long does the process take from start to finish for a B-2 Visa?
4) Also, I'm unemployed without a substantial amout of savings in my bank account... will this affect my application for a B-2 Visa?
So basically your young, unemployed..with no money ...

stick to the visa waiver
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
So basically your young, unemployed..with no money ...

stick to the visa waiver
Well I would hardly say 35 is young and I do have money/savings but not alot of savings.

What is the Visa waiver?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would hardly say 35 is young and I do have money/savings but not alot of savings.

What is the Visa waiver?
Its for use by tourist with a maximum stay of 90 days allowed
Its what most people use.
If you have been to the US before its the card the filled on the plane.

The B-2 will give you 180 days ... max..not one year
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Its for use by tourist with a maximum stay of 90 days allowed
Its what most people use.
If you have been to the US before its the card the filled on the plane.

The B-2 will give you 180 days ... max..not one year
Ah ok thats what we thought, just wasnt 100% sure. Thanks for letting us know.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Craig,

I would say in your situation, it would be best to stick to 90-day VWP visits, until you are ready to do the Fiance Visa. There is no way for you to stay in the USA for 1 whole year continuously unless you are here on a work or student-type visa (i.e, not a visitor).

Maybe you guys can make a couple of trips back and forth each, which would bring it close to a year, then decide on your future.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Craig,

I would say in your situation, it would be best to stick to 90-day VWP visits, until you are ready to do the Fiance Visa. There is no way for you to stay in the USA for 1 whole year continuously unless you are here on a work or student-type visa (i.e, not a visitor).

Maybe you guys can make a couple of trips back and forth each, which would bring it close to a year, then decide on your future.

Rene
Yeah it looks like that's what we're going to have to do, just visit each other back and forth until we can work something out.

Thank you for the advice, it's most appreciated
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:34 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

bear in mind that getting the fiancee visa sorted etc- can take 9 months or so - so plan a delay into things when you do decide - its not instant.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MsElui
bear in mind that getting the fiancee visa sorted etc- can take 9 months or so - so plan a delay into things when you do decide - its not instant.

Yeah we've heard it takes time for the fiancee Visa, but at the moment we really dont want to rush into anything yet.

We're still looking at other Visa that would suit our situation, but it's turning out to be very hard.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we've heard it takes time for the fiancee Visa, but at the moment we really dont want to rush into anything yet.

We're still looking at other Visa that would suit our situation, but it's turning out to be very hard.
Yes, many of us have searched for the elusive boyfriend/girlfriend visa only to discover that it does not exist.
International relationships often call for a different approach than we're used to.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Visa of the Holy Grail
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, many of us have searched for the elusive boyfriend/girlfriend visa only to discover that it does not exist.
International relationships often call for a different approach than we're used to.
No skills-based visa or retirement visa, either. Bloody yanks, eh?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies & advice, if anyone has any other advice please let us know.

We're off to London in the morning for 5 days, so I'll reply back when we get home.

Cheers, Craig