On B-2--Get an H-1B?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

SanDiego-Hello is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On B-2--Get an H-1B?

Hello Everybody!!

I have been in very sunny San Diego for 3 weeks, having moved here from, what I hear is, a rain drenched London with my boyfriend, who has taken a role at the University of San Diego.

He is sorted with a 3 year H1B visa, a contract with the university and all the benefits that go with that. We are currently living on campus and have an apartment lined up in La Jolla from the beginning of August. We have a temperamental 2nd hand Saab, that having just got it out of the menders, fingers crossed, will keep us going for a while. So, there are already a lot of boxes ticked in a short space of time. I am currently enjoying my lady of leisure-ness but need to find a JOB!!

My situation is this, I have a B-2 visitor visa for 6 months which can then be renewed however I do want to find a job and have already started looking.

My concerns are this - how easy is it to find a company to sponsor me? I have a business studies and marketing degree and have worked in marketing and events in the hospitality industry for over 12 years, is this the type of role that I could get sponsored for? Am I allowed to do unpaid work while I look for a job? Could I work for an american company and get paid in to my uk bank and not have to have a work visa?

I would be really grateful for any of your thoughts on this. I think I know the answers which is there arent really any straight answers but your input would be appreciated!

Looking for to hearing from you.

Oh and if any of you have any ideas on cool things to do and see in SD do let me know.

THANK YOU!!

Katie
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On B-2--Get an H-1B?

Originally Posted by SanDiego-Hello
My concerns are this - how easy is it to find a company to sponsor me? I have a business studies and marketing degree and have worked in marketing and events in the hospitality industry for over 12 years, is this the type of role that I could get sponsored for?
Depends on whether the position and your experience both meet the requirements for an H1B, and whether the company can and wants to afford paying several thousand dollars to hire you, when they can hire someone who already has work authorization, for free. You should be able to bring something very special to the table that will make then want to spend the money on you.

Am I allowed to do unpaid work while I look for a job?
You are allowed to do truly volunteer work. This means a job which no one at all ever gets paid for. For example, volunteering in a soup kitchen, shelter, food bank, etc. You cannot offer to do a job for no pay which others would get paid to do.

Could I work for an american company and get paid in to my uk bank and not have to have a work visa?
No, you can do no paid work while physically in the USA, without the proper work authorization/visa.

I would be really grateful for any of your thoughts on this. I think I know the answers which is there arent really any straight answers but your input would be appreciated!

Oh and if any of you have any ideas on cool things to do and see in SD do let me know.
Eat at Sadaf Restaurant in La Jolla.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to ask....are you on a Co-habitating Partner B-2? Or just a plain old B-2? If co-habitating partner, might be able to be extended more easily than the plain old B-2.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You must have an idea what kind of ballache the OH went to in finding a job willing to sponsor his visa?

That's exactly the same battle you will have, but added issue that your potential job won't be in academia or research, so you wouldn't be able to start till October even if you did get a H1 of your own.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Hi!

Thank you for your quick response Rene, that's really helpful and what I thought would be the case on all points. Guess it's going to be like trying to find a neddle in a hay stack but I'll have to keep trying.

thanks for the recommendation too! looks yummy.

Thank you!!

Katie
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:36 am
Just Joined

I have a co-habiting B-2 visa based on Paul's H1B so should be good to renew as long as he is employed here.

Katie
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:39 am
Just Joined

The thing is that it wasnt a ball ache at all. He found the job advertised by chance, applied, had 2 phone interviews, got offered the job, accepted the visa was arranged by their attourney and 4 months later we're here!

What do you mean by "but added issue that your potential job won't be in academia or research, so you wouldn't be able to start till October even if you did get a H1 of your own."

Thanks for your input Bob
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that it wasnt a ball ache at all. He found the job advertised by chance, applied, had 2 phone interviews, got offered the job, accepted the visa was arranged by their attourney and 4 months later we're here!

What do you mean by "but added issue that your potential job won't be in academia or research, so you wouldn't be able to start till October even if you did get a H1 of your own."

Thanks for your input Bob
Uni related jobs and certain research jobs don't fall under the quota of the H1B, so can start as soon as they get the visa.

Most jobs on the other hand do fall under the quota, which means the visa opening up in April, and employers applying from that date onwards, but any employee being granted the visa wouldn't be allowed to start work till that following October.

So even if you did find someone willing to sponsor you and give you a job, you wouldn't be allowed to start for a few months.

Reason his visa might have seemed easy to get, because research jobs are also able to get out of paying a couple of the fee's, which add on a few extra grand to the cost of the visa, which makes you even less attractive of a candidate.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps there is a bit too much negativity, you have the advantage of being here and nothing much else to do so what is the downside in trying?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My concerns are this - how easy is it to find a company to sponsor me? I have a business studies and marketing degree and have worked in marketing and events in the hospitality industry for over 12 years, is this the type of role that I could get sponsored for?
I don't think those jobs will fall under 'specialty occupation' for the H-1B, but, that is not the only employment visa there is. Considering where you live and your field, you might look for a Brit-owned business that could hire you with an E visa, or another creative option.
Read some basic descriptions about the visas here, but it may be that you can not get a visa to work in the US. http://london.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant-visas.html
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, try looking at www.volunteermatch.org
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps there is a bit too much negativity, you have the advantage of being here and nothing much else to do so what is the downside in trying?
Never said it isn't worth trying, as you say, already here...just that it won't be easy.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:06 am
Just Joined

tahminawatson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I agree with other replies you have received. With a B2 visa, you have limited time in the US and may not have enough time to find a suitable employer. If you were to marry your boyfriend, you could change your status to H4. While you are not permitted to work on an H4, you will have more time to find a suitable position. From H4, you could change to an appropriate work visa in due course. Good luck.

Hello Everybody!!

I have been in very sunny San Diego for 3 weeks, having moved here from, what I hear is, a rain drenched London with my boyfriend, who has taken a role at the University of San Diego.

He is sorted with a 3 year H1B visa, a contract with the university and all the benefits that go with that. We are currently living on campus and have an apartment lined up in La Jolla from the beginning of August. We have a temperamental 2nd hand Saab, that having just got it out of the menders, fingers crossed, will keep us going for a while. So, there are already a lot of boxes ticked in a short space of time. I am currently enjoying my lady of leisure-ness but need to find a JOB!!

My situation is this, I have a B-2 visitor visa for 6 months which can then be renewed however I do want to find a job and have already started looking.

My concerns are this - how easy is it to find a company to sponsor me? I have a business studies and marketing degree and have worked in marketing and events in the hospitality industry for over 12 years, is this the type of role that I could get sponsored for? Am I allowed to do unpaid work while I look for a job? Could I work for an american company and get paid in to my uk bank and not have to have a work visa?

Looking for to hearing from you.

THANK YOU!!

Katie
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tahminawatson
With a B2 visa, you have limited time in the US and may not have enough time to find a suitable employer.
To clarify, she has a cohabiting B-2 visa... a tad different from a regular B-2 visa with respect to how long she is able to remain in the US.

If you were to marry your boyfriend, you could change your status to H4. While you are not permitted to work on an H4, you will have more time to find a suitable position. From H4, you could change to an appropriate work visa in due course.
Good advice... as long as they are prepared to marry!

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2011, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I don't think those jobs will fall under 'specialty occupation' for the H-1B, but, that is not the only employment visa there is. Considering where you live and your field, you might look for a Brit-owned business that could hire you with an E visa, or another creative option.
Read some basic descriptions about the visas here, but it may be that you can not get a visa to work in the US. http://london.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant-visas.html
Great, thank you. That's really handy. There are plenty of different visas so there probably is a way in somewhere. I just need to keep looking for a job.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.