B-1/B2 visa application

Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

lh9870 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile B-1/B2 visa application

Hi guys, I am a graduate student (MA) in London and I want to apply for a B1/B2 visa to attend an academic conference next month. The thing is I'll not present papers at that meeting so I don't have an official invitation letter. However, I have a support letter from my supervisor who is the leader of one pannel at this meeting and it is him who told me to be there and exchange ideas with those scholar and fellow students. I went to the embassy a few days ago and my application has been refused because I was found unqualified under 214(b): either did not show strong ties.... or did not demonstrate that intended activities in the us would be consistent with the visa status. Well, the thing is on that day may be I was too nervous, my head was totally blank at that time. So when the officer asked if I have invitation or support letters, I just said no and did not explain anything or give her that support letter from my supervisor... then when the officer gave me the letter of refusal, I asked if she wants to see that support letter and she said sorry but the decision has been made and I could reapply if I want. I know and I will never forgive myself if I do not try again. My intention is to be a participater in this conference and may be spend one day to travel in the downtown area. I will only be there for 6 days since I am still in the middle of my course and have to attend classess after I am back here. I found a lot of people say that it is quite hard to obtain a visa after being refused in such a short time, so I become to worry about my situation and wonder are there any other documents I have to prepare for my next interview (now I have the confirmation of study letter from my college, the support letter from my supervisor and some printed information about the conference)? What should I pay more attention to during my interview? Thank you very much for all of your kind attention and I am sorry about my English because English is not my native language.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B-1/B2 visa application

What is your nationality.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

China
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No harm in trying again, just do not make any plans.

What ties do you have to China?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
No harm in trying again, just do not make any plans.

What ties do you have to China?
I am just a student here. My whole family are in China. I want to go back to China after my graduation. Find a job there and get married. Is it OK to say like this? Thanks!!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lh9870
I am just a student here. My whole family are in China. I want to go back to China after my graduation. Find a job there and get married. Is it OK to say like this?
Yes, it's okay to say that... but you must also be able to demonstrate it. They're not likely to just take your word for it.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, it's okay to say that... but you must also be able to demonstrate it. They're not likely to just take your word for it.

Ian
Thanks, Ian! I've decided to take the course registration form which indicates that I still have two courses to attend this semester. I hope this may be counted as the evidence to show that I have to go back to the UK promptly after the conference.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys, I finally got my visa this morning. If you do have a decent explanation, it is OK to try again after being refused. Thanks all!