Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

away from US 3 years want to go back!

away from US 3 years want to go back!

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: away from US 3 years want to go back!

Originally Posted by AnneSophiesDad
If you tell them you have been away for 3 years, they WILL take back your green card.

However, you should know that the US has no record of when you left the country.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
How do you know this for a fact? Are you an immigration judge who has seen the OP's paperwork?

I disagree.

Rene
Rene

I agree with Anne and will quote from Allen Werick's column from yesterday's Daily News column. While it deals with overstays, it is my opinion that it pertains to this scenario as well.

"Since U.S. Immigration authories do not keep track of whether individuals leave when their stay expires, a port-of-entry inspector foten doesn't know that a person overstayed on a previous visit."

When you leave the US you might well show your greencard upon departing the US (don't know why you would since it is your passport that is needed for foreign travel OUT of the US and your greencard needed on entry to the US), the USCIS might not know that he has left but would definitely have a record of when he entered.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Rene

I agree with Anne and will quote from Allen Werick's column from yesterday's Daily News column. While it deals with overstays, it is my opinion that it pertains to this scenario as well.

"Since U.S. Immigration authories do not keep track of whether individuals leave when their stay expires, a port-of-entry inspector foten doesn't know that a person overstayed on a previous visit."

When you leave the US you might well show your greencard upon departing the US (don't know why you would since it is your passport that is needed for foreign travel OUT of the US and your greencard needed on entry to the US), the USCIS might not know that he has left but would definitely have a record of when he entered.
I see. I thought somehow they could trace airline records and such, to find out when someone left the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

stephaneg is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene

so they don't know really know if i stayed 3 month or 3 years then? they only do further check if they have any suspicion.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephaneg
so they don't know really know if i stayed 3 month or 3 years then? they only do further check if they have any suspicion.
Exit control is conducted by the airlines when you check in for your flight out of the country rather than say an immigration officer putting an exit stamp in your passport. When the green paper I94 was in use it was a big deal for the check in personnel to tear it out of your passport and send it in to the authorities. If it wasn't torn out there was a procedure to mail it back. Now it is all electronic. Whether this data gets to USCIS or whomever is open to debate.

Passenger data automatically transmitted to immigration

Visa Waiver Program Entry-Exit System since 2002

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jun 2nd 2011 at 5:33 pm. Reason: Added links
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter if "they" know or not. You should not be telling any untruths. If they don't ask, you don't have to say anything. If they ask, you must tell them the truth.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know what one attorney wrote. Is it gospel? I don't believe so.

Will they know that you have not returned to the US in three years. Most likely they will. Did the airline swipe your greencard when you left the US? If so, then they will know at the POE when it is swipe at re-entry that it is has been three years since you left.

You can only come back to the US and wait to see what happens at the POE. If you have valid reason for being outside of the US for such a length of time, then you should have no problem with getting a returning resident permit from the US Consulate. That is not a guarantee but it does up things in our favor.

SPEND THE MONEY AND CONSULT WITH AN IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY WELL VERSED IN ABANDONMENT ISSUES.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

I know what one attorney wrote. Is it gospel? I don't believe so.

Will they know that you have not returned to the US in three years. Most likely they will. Did the airline swipe your greencard when you left the US? If so, then they will know at the POE when it is swipe at re-entry that it is has been three years since you left.

You can only come back to the US and wait to see what happens at the POE. If you have valid reason for being outside of the US for such a length of time, then you should have no problem with getting a returning resident permit from the US Consulate. That is not a guarantee but it does up things in our favor.

SPEND THE MONEY AND CONSULT WITH AN IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY WELL VERSED IN ABANDONMENT ISSUES.
no they did't swipe it when i left.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

no they did't swipe it when i left.
They swiped your passport, same-same.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling that no matter what you all say im guessing the op is gonna tell some porkies when he arrives in the US
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

7031 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neolight90
I have a feeling that no matter what you all say im guessing the op is gonna tell some porkies when he arrives in the US
And in the process damage his chances of remaining as a permanent resident.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neolight90
No but im hopping they will not ask me anything. i red other forums and many people in my situation that were out over 2 years and got trough even they swape the GC.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

It would be in OP's best interest to have at a minimum a one time paid consultation with an immigration attorney experienced with abandonment issues, as has already been suggested in an earlier post.

There is more at stake here than whether the particular CBP officer who inspect OP on his/her return to the US will be aware of when OP last departed the US or not. Should OP at some future time decide to naturalize for example (assuming OP is able to return to the US now in one way or another), the question of time spent outside the US will come up again, and OP will then be under oath when asked about it.

So OP would be well advised in getting his/her ducks in a row now so to speak, as any actions taken or not taken now may very well come back to bite OP in the ass later.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by discoviking
It would be in OP's best interest to have at a minimum a one time paid consultation with an immigration attorney experienced with abandonment issues, as has already been suggested in an earlier post.

There is more at stake here than whether the particular CBP officer who inspect OP on his/her return to the US will be aware of when OP last departed the US or not. Should OP at some future time decide to naturalize for example (assuming OP is able to return to the US now in one way or another), the question of time spent outside the US will come up again, and OP will then be under oath when asked about it.

So OP would be well advised in getting his/her ducks in a row now so to speak, as any actions taken or not taken now may very well come back to bite OP in the ass later.
maybe but not if i just renew my GC when its expired..then i just wait an other 5 years and i think by then the old info will be gone.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

"then i just wait an other 5 years and i think by then the old info will be gone."

No offense, but you sound like you are delusional. If by some strange occurence you are actually let back into the US to live and work and at some point you wish to naturalize, you must list all trips you have made outside of the US that lasted longer than 24 hours. You must list all trips of this nature since you became a permanent resident (so that means when you first received your card). You will have to put down your 3 year absence. I'm reading this information straight off a hard copy of the N-400 that my husband will be filling out soon (he's been eligible for years). According to page 7 of the N-400, "If you knowingly and willfully falsify OR CONCEAL a material fact or submit a false document with this Form N-400, we will deny your Form N-400 and may deny any other immigration benefit. In addition, you WILL FACE SEVERE PENALTIES provided by law and may be subject to criminal prosecution."
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
"then i just wait an other 5 years and i think by then the old info will be gone."

No offense, but you sound like you are delusional. If by some strange occurence you are actually let back into the US to live and work and at some point you wish to naturalize, you must list all trips you have made outside of the US that lasted longer than 24 hours. You must list all trips of this nature since you became a permanent resident (so that means when you first received your card). You will have to put down your 3 year absence. I'm reading this information straight off a hard copy of the N-400 that my husband will be filling out soon (he's been eligible for years). According to page 7 of the N-400, "If you knowingly and willfully falsify OR CONCEAL a material fact or submit a false document with this Form N-400, we will deny your Form N-400 and may deny any other immigration benefit. In addition, you WILL FACE SEVERE PENALTIES provided by law and may be subject to criminal prosecution."
ahh..i see.. its not easy huh:/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.