Australian Police Certificate

Old May 12th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

DPUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Police Certificate

I need to apply to the Australian Federal Police for a certificate covering the time I spent there on a working visa twenty years ago.
The first part of the form I need to complete (http://www.afp.gov.au/__data/assets/...ation_form.pdf) asks for a code stating the purpose of the disclosure.
Does anyone know which one I should use? I am not certain if it is code 33 (Commonwealth immigration) or 30 (standard disclosure). I just want to be sure before going to the expense and time of applying only to potentially find I have ordered the wrong one!
Thanks.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Police Certificate

I haven't had the time to go dig about this, but a brief look makes me lean toward 'all records' or however it is worded.
Code 30's description clearly doesn't apply to you.

One thing I know for certain is that you need the fingerprint-based check. You could also contact the Australian Feds and ask them clearly and directly. Failing that, try the US Embassy in Sydney, but I don't know how good they are about answering email (probably not very).
Old May 14th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

If it helps - I put code 35 - Overseas Visa. Yes it only covers the last 10 years but the US embassy in London didn't raise it as an issue (I think the UK one was only ten years as well).

In any event I'm safely settled in NJ now. I'm the Aussie/Brit, Wife is American/Brit.

And I got fingerprints done at New Scotland Yard in London and sent them over with the application. Only pain was that they only accepted payment in AUD at the AFP and wouldn't take a credit card. Mum kindly sorted that out!

Last edited by goatherder; May 14th 2009 at 1:50 pm.
Old May 15th 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

DPUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I contacted the Australian Police Records who issue the certificates, explained the situation and they said use code 35. I was just concerned that since this only shows unspent convictions (i.e. ones which are 10 years old or less) this would mean the certificate would appear incomplete to the US authorities.