Austerity measures

Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:04 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austerity measures

Originally Posted by dunroving
Article in the Times was saying that as part of public sector cutbacks, employees are being offered early retirement at 50 years, with two-thirds salary for life ... not sure how that counts as cost-cutting.
Well - it can be shown to be cost cutting and it is the price of cuting the numbers of civil servants. I worked in the civil service as a contractor for a while and it was almost mandatory to get stressed out at age 50 and get a pension enhancement so this is just an additional 5 years anyway.

If there are any remaining 60 year old civil servants then will thay claim unfair and ask for additional pension payments because they lost the opportunity to leave, fully paid up, when they were 50?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:05 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There are some great 'golden parachutes' in the private sector.
...examples being?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
...examples being?
Sir Fred Goodwin, $16.9million pension pot.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sir Fred Goodwin, $16.9million pension pot.
That's nothing! I spend that on socks every year. Pah.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Article in the Times was saying that as part of public sector cutbacks, employees are being offered early retirement at 50 years, with two-thirds salary for life ... not sure how that counts as cost-cutting.
These are final salary schemes and that is a maximum based on the maximum length of service.

What needs to be remembered is that the vast majority of civil servants are not on high wages.

Their jobs are compared with other similar jobs and the salaries are compared. Then a "fair" salary is decided.

Then a reduction is made to take account of the non contributory pension. This means that despite what the media says about free pensions civil servants are effectively paying for their pensions the same as other people do...they just don't get the higher gross salary from which a deduction is made to begin with.

Of course, what with it being a final salary scheme it means the pension is less than it would be if the real gross level was paid with deductions.

So low pay and low pensions.

As an incentive to go early and save on the wage bill, they are reportedly being offered whatever pension they'd qualify for rather than the reduced pension for going early but with loss of the lump sum.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
These are final salary schemes and that is a maximum based on the maximum length of service.

What needs to be remembered is that the vast majority of civil servants are not on high wages.
Their jobs are compared with other similar jobs and the salaries are compared. Then a "fair" salary is decided.

Then a reduction is made to take account of the non contributory pension. This means that despite what the media says about free pensions civil servants are effectively paying for their pensions the same as other people do...they just don't get the higher gross salary from which a deduction is made to begin with.

Of course, what with it being a final salary scheme it means the pension is less than it would be if the real gross level was paid with deductions.

So low pay and low pensions.
Actually, the empirical evidence shows that for quite some time, public sector salaries have been similar to private sector. The old saw of "they get better pensions schemes to compensate for crap wages" hasn't been true for a long time.

I'm particularly familiar with pay and pensions for teachers and university lecturers and it's certainly true for them, but according to all the current media stories, it's true for government civil servants also.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...public sector salaries have been similar to private sector. The old saw of "they get better pensions schemes to compensate for crap wages" hasn't been true for a long time.

I'm particularly familiar with pay and pensions for teachers and university lecturers and it's certainly true for them, but according to all the current media stories, it's true for government civil servants also.
I'm particularly familiar with the civil service - specifically DWP.

Wages are most certainly still crap there; the majority of staff (clerical grades) well under £18k I believe.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm particularly familiar with the civil service - specifically DWP.

Wages are most certainly still crap there; the majority of staff (clerical grades) well under £18k I believe.
One of my first jobs was British Civil Service and adjusted for inflation in today's money I was earning £11,000 per annum. Full-time, demanding position as well working for very senior people. I'm sure things must have improvedfrom this disgrace, but when people talk about public sector being as high as private they're usually referring to the pigs at the top end of the trough who get to decide their own wages and value they bring to this life. Being human, they radically over-estimate their own worth by several magnitudes of course.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Here ya go

DWP
The salary range for an Administrative Assistant (national scale) is £12,590 - £14,270 (Bristol City Council equivalent £16,054 – £17,161)
The salary range for an Administrative Officer (national scale) is £14,270 - £17,600 (can't find a vacancy for equivalent right now but above and below indicates it's likely several thousand more)

That's most of the people you see and speak to in offices and the people who do assessing.

The salary range for an Executive Officer (national scale) is £18,710 - £23,990 (Bristol City Council's equivalent £31,754 - £34.459)

The pension contributions have to be paid from the blue figures but the extra 20-40% covers that with a few bob to spare.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go

DWP
The salary range for an Administrative Assistant (national scale) is £12,590 - £14,270 (Bristol City Council equivalent £16,054 – £17,161)
The salary range for an Administrative Officer (national scale) is £14,270 - £17,600 (can't find a vacancy for equivalent right now but above and below indicates it's likely several thousand more)

That's most of the people you see and speak to in offices and the people who do assessing.

The salary range for an Executive Officer (national scale) is £18,710 - £23,990 (Bristol City Council's equivalent £31,754 - £34.459)

The pension contributions have to be paid from the blue figures but the extra 20-40% covers that with a few bob to spare.
I think you need to write a letter to the Times, including these figures.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here ya go

DWP

This is a good post. I totally believe these figures for the reasons I mention above in my post. 90% of the people in the Civil Service that one would ever have any dealings with will be earning crap like this. Also, when I was in it there was a very weird attitude - insular - cliquey - strange. It was like a never-ending episode of Eerie, Indiana. Treated like shit, crappy old office furniture and equipment. It goes on.

Universities are the same. A FT uni admin will be on maybe 20k if lucky - and even the junior lecturers are only somewhere round the 25 - 28k mark which is nowhere near commensurate to the stress and work levels they have. It's all falling apart.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

I think you need to write a letter to the Times, including these figures.
Last time I did that (as a DSS employee) I was reprimanded.

Originally Posted by Seneca21
This is a good post. I totally believe these figures for the reasons I mention above in my post. 90% of the people in the Civil Service that one would ever have any dealings with will be earning crap like this...Treated like shit, crappy old office furniture and equipment.
Horrible chairs that made your trousers grimy while the HEOs had nice chairs/desks. Cabinet drawers that fell on your feet if you pulled them out too far. Office repeatedly fumigated for fleas (from clients) which were inevitably taken home (fleas not clients) cheap carpet fitted that caused static shocks. Despite what people thought no tea breaks. Heating that didn't work in winter and air conditioning that blew out air so cold, the office was freezing. Despite years of assurance there was no asbestos in the building workmen found some. Expected to search for suspect packages in the days of bomb warnings.

Oooh, I've come over all nostalgic.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Last time I did that (as a DSS employee) I was reprimanded.

Horrible chairs that made your trousers grimy while the HEOs had nice chairs/desks. Cabinet drawers that fell on your feet if you pulled them out too far. Office repeatedly fumigated for fleas (from clients) which were inevitably taken home (fleas not clients) cheap carpet fitted that caused static shocks. Despite what people thought no tea breaks. Heating that didn't work in winter and air conditioning that blew out air so cold, the office was freezing. Despite years of assurance there was no asbestos in the building workmen found some. Expected to search for suspect packages in the days of bomb warnings.

Oooh, I've come over all nostalgic.
Ah, fond memories. They found a load of asbestos in the walls of one of the unis I worked at as well.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
One of my first jobs was British Civil Service and adjusted for inflation in today's money I was earning £11,000 per annum. Full-time, demanding position as well working for very senior people. I'm sure things must have improvedfrom this disgrace, but when people talk about public sector being as high as private they're usually referring to the pigs at the top end of the trough who get to decide their own wages and value they bring to this life. Being human, they radically over-estimate their own worth by several magnitudes of course.
100% right.

My first 'real' job was as an admin assistant working for a city council (this was back in 2005). The pay was about 12k per annum but on the plus side they didn't expect me to do any work - and in fact, actively discouraged me from doing any. I felt the people at the top treated those lower down like absolute dirt. They would go off on things like a 'best practice conference' in Venice while the rest of us struggled on on bad pay and in poor conditions (no air con in a poorly ventilated office). The project we were working on was pretty pointless and overspent it's budget and there was a general atmosphere of complete misery. I have a lot of respect for the people who work at the bottom of the state system (I jumped ship for the private sector after six months).

You can guess what will happen now. The fat cats will re-invent themselves as 'Austerity Tsars' and begin slashing their departments left right and center.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:06 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
100% right.

My first 'real' job was as an admin assistant working for a city council (this was back in 2005). The pay was about 12k per annum but on the plus side they didn't expect me to do any work - and in fact, actively discouraged me from doing any. I felt the people at the top treated those lower down like absolute dirt. They would go off on things like a 'best practice conference' in Venice while the rest of us struggled on on bad pay and in poor conditions (no air con in a poorly ventilated office). The project we were working on was pretty pointless and overspent it's budget and there was a general atmosphere of complete misery. I have a lot of respect for the people who work at the bottom of the state system (I jumped ship for the private sector after six months).

You can guess what will happen now. The fat cats will re-invent themselves as 'Austerity Tsars' and begin slashing their departments left right and center.
I find that admin staff do nothing but create work for the rest of us. I'd like to just get on with teaching (like in the old days), instead of spending most of my time completing pointless admin tasks.

We particularly get asked to write endless reports on the same stuff, but in a different format. And then it never gets used anyway, so what was the point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.