Attorney costs

Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

da_gifted_one is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attorney costs

Hi people just quick question about attorney costs.

How much do they charge, for filing an AOS?
I just got married in US, and we are looking to find a decent attorney in the DC area.

Thanks

Paul
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attorney costs

Originally Posted by da_gifted_one
Hi people just quick question about attorney costs.

I just got married in US, and we are looking to find a decent attorney in the DC area.

Thanks

Paul
You'll have to call around for quotes. Attorney's costs can vary greatly.

Try www.ailalawyer.com for a list of AILA lawyers in your area.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by da_gifted_one
Y'know... you can file for AOS yourself, at no charge!

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

My attorney was 2500 plus 1000 extra for coming to the interview, where we were for 5 min and the officer didn't even asked anything LOL, so don't waste your money if you don't have to. Just my opinion. Good luck
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by milan79
My attorney was 2500 plus 1000 extra for coming to the interview, where we were for 5 min and the officer didn't even asked anything LOL, so don't waste your money if you don't have to. Just my opinion. Good luck
Hi:

The OP may feel more comfortable with an attorney. The choice is theirs. The OP did not ask to be discouraged from hiring an attorney. I usually don't comment too much on questions like this other than if I happen to know someone to recommend.

However, the three of us in our office always give the following description of a "perfect interview:" I say 'good morning' at the beginning and 'thank you' at the end and you are wondering why the hell you paid us." I've had that happen exactly ONCE in thirty years.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my attorney she was very helpfull, and Mr Folinsky you are absolutelly right that the Adj officer prob feel better with an Atorney being in there. But why is that? Are they afraid of attorneys or something? lol
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by milan79
I love my attorney she was very helpfull, and Mr Folinsky you are absolutelly right that the Adj officer prob feel better with an Atorney being in there. But why is that? Are they afraid of attorneys or something? lol
Hi:

Afraid? I actually hope not. I go by the principle taught to me by an old boss -- "The attorney's job is to make it as easy as possible for the officer to say 'yes.'" Also, for most applicants, they are virgins when it comes to immigration interviews -- just the nature of the beast. I hope the DAO's feel a little more comfortable with someone who is experienced and speaks the language. Also, a good attorney will be able to gently prevent the DAO from making a mistake of law. As for my old boss's adage, I've actually told it to DAO's from time to time.

Also, I try to inculcate my three rules [1. tell the truth 2. understand the question 3. answer only the question -- plus corollaries not discussed here] and let ME worry about what is happening. I can bring a certain professional detachment along with knowledge to cope with what is happening while the applicant need only worry about the three rules.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Feb 7th 2008 at 1:57 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Folinsky is correct. Some people do feel more comfortable with attorneys. I am a Legal Secretary (and work with several attorneys) and my husband and I felt very strongly about using an Immigration Attorney, even though our situation is relatively straight forward. Our attorney charged us $1500 for the K-1 process, in addition to the filing fees. This was a year ago. At that time she quoted us $2000 (and another contract) for the AOS process, in addition to the filing fees. Last month, when we met with her to start the paperwork for the AOS process, she cut her fee in half because of our organization and preparation and the fact that she did not need to spend too much time preparing our petition for this next phase. Her attendance at the upcoming interview is also included in the $1000.

Good Luck
M_G
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Call some AILA attorneys and get a quote.