asylum + H1B + LC

Old May 19th 2001, 11:09 pm
Dorin

I applied this year again for extension of my work permit as an asylum seeker. INS
replied that my case was denied many years ago (I never received the denial notice) I
have been renewing the work permit for the last decade based on the -assumed pending-
asylum case and it was granted every year until now.

I have a labor certification pending, being sponsored for PR by my employer. It was
filed only a month ago. Also a H1B petition was approved 1 year and a half ago but I
never dared to go outside US to get the stamp since I was being sent to the country
from which I was seeking asyum.

I wonder how can I buy some time (my work permit expires in 1 month), I mean how
could I extend the work permit under these circumstances without leaving the US? I
figure the labor certification is a good shot but I need to support myself (and work)
until the process is taking place. (A separate question here is Does a Labor
Certification pending represent grounds for applying for a work permit?)

If there is no way to do the above, is the H1B visa petition (a year and a half old)
still valid ? Should I take the risk of not being able to return to US and leave all
my personal goods behind?

Thank you in advance!

Vic