Assistance

Old Jul 5th 2002, 1:20 pm
Hema

Default Assistance

HI all,

normally how much time it takes to process a Visa Request? (tourist Visa ) and How
much period do they allow on a visitor visa.

I have a friend who is planning to make a visit to the US and she is employed here.
If she has to accompany her parents for visiting her brother what are the documents
that are needed to be submitted for visa processing... also she has not completed her
degree which she is pursuing...

thanks, hema

Old Jul 6th 2002, 1:20 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Assistance

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 02:11:21 -0700, hema wrote:

> HI all,
    >
    > normally how much time it takes to process a Visa Request? (tourist Visa ) and How
    > much period do they allow on a visitor visa.

Processing time varies greatly from one consulate to the next, and also depends on
whether or not you are subject to any security checks. It can be as short as a few
days, and as long as a month or so.

Tourist visas are issued in various flavors, mostly dependent on your nationality.
They can be valid for as little as a month or as much as ten years, and for only one
trip, for several, or unlimited number of trips. For the most part, the terms tend to
be the same as what your country would give US citizens.

Note that the validity of the visa only determines when you may travel to the US. It
does not determine how long you can stay. Currently, most tourists are admitted for
six months (regardless of whether the visa is a one-month visa or a ten-year visa).
It has been proposed to reduce this time to 30 days.

>
    > I have a friend who is planning to make a visit to the US and she is employed here.
    > If she has to accompany her parents for visiting her brother what are the documents
    > that are needed to be submitted for visa processing... also she has not completed
    > her degree which she is pursuing...

You don't say which country your friend is from. That can be critical. In some
countries, it can be extremely difficult - to the point of impossible - for young
unmarried females to get a tourist visa. Basically, the rule is always the same: she
has to prove that she plans to return to her country. It's just that proving that is
near impossible in some countries.

Ingo

Old Jul 7th 2002, 4:20 am
Hema

hello,

my friend is from india. she would like to visit the states and be back within a
maximum period of 6 months... and she is also employed.

would there be any hang ups in her visa processing.

thanks

Old Jul 7th 2002, 8:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 20:26:44 -0700, hema wrote:

> hello,
    >
    > my friend is from india. she would like to visit the states and be back within a
    > maximum period of 6 months... and she is also employed.
    >
    > would there be any hang ups in her visa processing.
    >
    > thanks

India, unfortunately, is one of the countries where it is particularly difficult to
get a tourist visa for a young unmarried woman. Her job will definitely help,
especially if the job carries some responsibilities with
it. Be sure to have as much proof as possible that she will indeed return to India
after the trip.

Also, do keep in mind that tourist visas soon may be limited to 30 days instead of
the traditional six months. The regulations aren't official yet, and nobody knows if
they will ever be. On the other hand, the rumor mill has it that INS already limits
many tourists to 30 days.

Ingo

Old Jul 14th 2002, 6:57 am
Zareahusa

yes, they already limited it to 30 days (got them myself and had to apply for an
extension which was granted this week) you won't get more than 30 days except with a
very very good reason and proof you're going to leave after the period of time you
request - good luck

Zara