Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Arrest + visa change/marriage/travel

Arrest + visa change/marriage/travel

Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:17 am
Just Joined

soberinpublic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrest + visa change/marriage/travel

Dear forum members,

Although I am Dutch and not British, this forum seems of wonderful quality and since I consider myself part of the Anglosphere I'll ask my question here regardless.

Unfortunately I was arrested in the US in 2007 while on an F-1 student visa for Drunk in Public. I did community service to have the charges dropped but the arrest will remain on my record until I depart this world.

-Will this arrest have any consequence for future travel in and out of the US?
-Will it cause any problems/delays while switching I-20's (I will be going to another school full-time in addition to the one I am at already)?
-When marrying and later applying for citizenship will it cause problems?

My guess is no, and slight delay while changing I-20? As I understand it DIP is not a moral torpitude crime, and especially since I did the community service to get the charges dropped it won't matter much. I will be going to court soon to get the paperwork, which if I understand correctly will be essential to smoothly passing through the immigration mazes.

If any of you could help me out a little bit or hopefully ease my worries, I would be grateful.

Thank you!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrest + visa change/marriage/travel

Originally Posted by soberinpublic
Dear forum members,

Although I am Dutch and not British, this forum seems of wonderful quality and since I consider myself part of the Anglosphere I'll ask my question here regardless.

Unfortunately I was arrested in the US in 2007 while on an F-1 student visa for Drunk in Public. I did community service to have the charges dropped but the arrest will remain on my record until I depart this world.

-Will this arrest have any consequence for future travel in and out of the US?
-Will it cause any problems/delays while switching I-20's (I will be going to another school full-time in addition to the one I am at already)?
-When marrying and later applying for citizenship will it cause problems?

My guess is no, and slight delay while changing I-20? As I understand it DIP is not a moral torpitude crime, and especially since I did the community service to get the charges dropped it won't matter much. I will be going to court soon to get the paperwork, which if I understand correctly will be essential to smoothly passing through the immigration mazes.

If any of you could help me out a little bit or hopefully ease my worries, I would be grateful.

Thank you!
Certainly doesn't sound like a CIMT to me. I would think you should be fine - you'd have to declare it of course.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:38 am
Just Joined

jon06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrest + visa change/marriage/travel

Agree with TracyM...do declare it though or it will come back to haunt you should you ever apply for other visa type.