Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Arghhh 2 weeks to find out i submitted to wrong office

Arghhh 2 weeks to find out i submitted to wrong office

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:04 am
ptf

I submitted my I-485 in conjuction with I-130 2 weeks ago. Just recieved it back in the
mail last evening. Seems it should of been sent to the Westminster office, which handle
submissions for my location. Even though I checked this with INS (where to send) because I
originally was going to send to the Westminster office and they instructed me to send to
the LA office. Arghhh. Only good news is the applications were all nicely checked and that
seems to be the only problem with my submission. All forms were nicely stapled together (
I had used the Acco binder clips)and the pictures were put into nice cute little
envelopes. Now that I resubmit, what should I put on the envelope so that whomever is
opening knows that it has already been checked or should I even bother with anything on
the envelope. There is a sheet that INS included which states the problem with the wrong
address, which I will leave with
it. Also, anyone know If the Westiminster office has a drop box so I could hand deliver
it? Any advice would be appreciated. PTF

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:21 am
Jeremy

Don't mean to be insensitive, but consider yourself lucky. My fiance and I sent our I-129f
to the wrong INS office and it took them 3 months to advise us of that. (and then about
130 days to send us the RFE.. but the good news is only about 20 days to approve us, which
we found out this morning so I guess I can't be 'too' mad at them. Sorry for the mostly
off-topic post lol.

ptf wrote:

> I submitted my I-485 in conjuction with I-130 2 weeks ago. Just recieved it back in the
> mail last evening. Seems it should of been sent to the Westminster office, which handle
> submissions for my location. Even though I checked this with INS (where to send) because
> I originally was going to send to the Westminster office and they instructed me to send
> to the LA office. Arghhh. Only good news is the applications were all nicely checked and
> that seems to be the only problem with my submission. All forms were nicely stapled
> together ( I had used the Acco binder clips)and the pictures were put into nice cute
> little envelopes. Now that I resubmit, what should I put on the envelope so that
> whomever is opening knows that it has already been checked or should I even bother with
> anything on the envelope. There is a sheet that INS included which states the problem
> with the wrong address, which I will leave with
> it. Also, anyone know If the Westiminster office has a drop box so I could hand deliver
> it? Any advice would be appreciated. PTF

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:34 am
Onigiri

> it. Also, anyone know If the Westiminster office has a drop box so I could hand deliver
> it?
Even if somebody located a drop-box for you, don't do that. You end up with no evidence of
ever having send the INS anything. When you wake up at nights with a cold sweat, you need
to have at least an acknowledgement piece of paper from either USPS or Fed-Ex-2day receipt
to tide you over. Otherwise you are simply asking for nightmares.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
just do it. And read the information at the I-130 resource web page completely so that you
can help others with similar predicaments. www.kamya.com/misc/

> PTF