Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for J2 visa but not married yet...

Applying for J2 visa but not married yet...

Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

tcunningham55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for J2 visa but not married yet...

I am currently in the process of completing my DS-2019 processing form in order to obtain a J1 visa. I am due to start my postdoc job in August and am getting married in June. Ideally, my Mrs would join me at the end of August.

My employerss are keen for me to get the process started now. I am unsure as to the best way in which to apply for the J2 for my future wife, but it looks as though we may have to apply for our visas seperately.

Can she apply for the J2 after my application but before I have moved to the US?

Can I put my fiance down as a dependant now or will I have to wait and amend the form after we get married?

Is it possible to arrange a visa appointment before marriage, and then have it following mariage?

Thanks

Tom
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:03 pm
How durrrrr you?

donny_dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for J2 visa but not married yet...

Can she apply for the J2 after my application but before I have moved to the US?

>>Yes.

Can I put my fiance down as a dependant now or will I have to wait and amend the form after we get married?

>>No to the first part. To the second part, you don't "amend the form", she gets her derivative J-2 using a copy of your original form, obtained from your sponsor usually. You just need a proof of marriage.

Is it possible to arrange a visa appointment before marriage, and then have it following mariage?

>>Yes.

Am not sure how far in advance you have to arrange an appointment for a visa application at the embassy these days, been a good few years since I had to do that.