Applying for J2 visa

Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

d_lom86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for J2 visa

Hi there,

My wife is from Spain, currently working in the US on a J1. I wish to join her--this is allowed by her sponsor--and I'm looking for advice on the interview/application process when I go to the US embassy in London.

From what I understand, to work I would need employment authorisation. I haven't decided whether I will be looking for work, but I'm not sure what to say in regards to that.

Anything I should be weary of or need to consider? What should I expect to be asked?

Thanks!

Last edited by d_lom86; Mar 15th 2015 at 7:06 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for J2 visa

Originally Posted by d_lom86
My wife is from Spain, currently working in the US on a J1. I wish to join her--this is allowed by her sponsor--and I'm looking for advice on the interview/application process when I go to the US embassy in London.
Yes, you are allowed to get a J-2 to join her in the USA. The interview should be very straightforward, all you need is proof that you are legally married (marriage certificate and English translation if it's not in English) and that she's currently working for her J-1 employer in the USA (copy of her J-1 visa and proof of her employment, maybe pay stubs or letter from employer).

From what I understand, to work I would need employment authorisation. I haven't decided whether I will be looking for work, but I'm not sure what to say in regards to that.
If you are asked, you can say exactly what you said here.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

d_lom86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much!

I am currently visiting her on a visa waiver and we got married here in the US on this visit.

Do I need to register the marriage with the UK embassy over here or anything like that before I go back?
Old Mar 15th 2015, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d_lom86
I wish to join her--this is allowed by her sponsor...
It wouldn't matter even if her sponsor didn't allow it... US immigration allows it - and that's what's important.

I'm not sure what to say in regards to that.
You don't have to say anything about it... the US government doesn't care if you work or not.

Do I need to register the marriage with the UK embassy over here or anything like that before I go back?
No.

Ian
Old Mar 16th 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

andyny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It wouldn't matter even if her sponsor didn't allow it... US immigration allows it - and that's what's important.
But he needs the DS-2019 form from the sponsor and how will he obtain that if the sponsor isn't cooperating?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't have to say anything about it... the US government doesn't care if you work or not.
I have a related question. If a J-2 has an expired EAD and applies for a new visa stamp, may this be a problem during the visa interview? Do I need proof that I stopped working until I'll get the new EAD? Does the US consulate see EAD status?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyny
But he needs the DS-2019 form from the sponsor and how will he obtain that if the sponsor isn't cooperating?
Ah... good point!

If a J-2 has an expired EAD and applies for a new visa stamp, may this be a problem during the visa interview?
No.

Do I need proof that I stopped working until I'll get the new EAD?
No.

Does the US consulate see EAD status?
Not likely, but even if they do it won't matter.

Ian