Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for citizenship through my father

Applying for citizenship through my father

Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship through my father

I agree back tax returns need to be filed. Just wondered where the 3-year requirement came from, since it's not for the purpose of filing an I-864.

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

anita665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I'm glad it's hopefully going to be quite straight forward.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Will they need my dads passport number as I don't know that? Will they be able find that themselves from his birth or marriage certificate? I have no idea how to get hold of that otherwise.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anita665
Will they need my dads passport number as I don't know that?
No, but they will need proof that he was a US citizen (a birth certificate will do for that) and they'll need proof that he lived in the US long enough to transfer citizenship to you.

Will they be able find that themselves from his birth or marriage certificate?
They won't do anything; they won't try to find that information; they won't bother to look! You have to provide the information.

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2016, 10:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, but they will need proof that he was a US citizen (a birth certificate will do for that) and they'll need proof that he lived in the US long enough to transfer citizenship to you. ....
That would be a minimum of five years, two of them after his 14th birthday. Evidence that he attended school in the US and achieved a high school diploma would meet that requirement, but there are alternatives.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks. Well he never lived full time in the UK so that should all be easy enough. I just was worried I would be asked to provide details that I have no idea how to get hold of. I have no idea where he went to high school or anything like that but I will send off his birth certificate and hope for the best. I suppose if they want more info they will ask for it.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks. Well he never lived full time in the UK so that should all be easy enough. I just was worried I would be asked to provide details that I have no idea how to get hold of. I have no idea where he went to high school or anything like that but I will send off his birth certificate and hope for the best. I suppose if they want more info they will ask for it.
You can't just send in your application and say "well he lived there all his life" and assume that is enough - you will need to send some evidence. If you don't send sufficient information your application will be sent back and not be processed. You could reapply.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 29th 2016 at 11:33 am.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea where he went to high school or anything like that...
This is why the Internet exists... and social media. You likely have family that you can reach out to. Someone knows!

I will send off his birth certificate and hope for the best.
This is not a good strategy.

I suppose if they want more info they will ask for it.
No, they won't. They'll return the package as incomplete and wait for you to resubmit when you have more proof - and they won't care one iota how long that takes.

To be honest, I don't understand your haste - considering you're doing this for no pressing reason. Take some time... get the proof - and, when you've got it, then send in the application.

All rumors to the contrary notwithstanding, the US will still exist a few months from now.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure they keep the file open for ever, RFE usually have a date on them to submit this missing info.