Applying for Citizenship N-400

Old May 2nd 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Applying for Citizenship N-400

Hello,

I used to post here quite a bit, but I've been a PR for three years now and feel totally out of the loop!

I'm filling out my N400 and came to the question about total days spent out of the US in the past five years. I got a new passport in 2005... I assume this number needs to be completely accurate - right? Not sure what to do, as I don't know where my previous passport is....

Oh and do I need to fill in any other forms?

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship N-400

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Hello,

I used to post here quite a bit, but I've been a PR for three years now and feel totally out of the loop!

I'm filling out my N400 and came to the question about total days spent out of the US in the past five years. I got a new passport in 2005... I assume this number needs to be completely accurate - right? Not sure what to do, as I don't know where my previous passport is....

Oh and do I need to fill in any other forms?

Thanks!
For you, the timeline is 3 years, not 5 years, as you are applying based on marriage to a USC and are eligible to file in 3 years instead of 5 years.

As for accuracy, if your stays outside of the US come close to the 18 month limit for eligibility, then yes, accuracy will count. However, if it is only a matter of a one, two or 4 week vacation, once or twice a year, then be as accurate as possible.

You do not require other forms, however, don't forget the fee for biometrics. At the moment it is $70 and file before June if possible as the fee for naturalization is almost triple what it is at the moment if you file mid-June, 2007.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
For you, the timeline is 3 years, not 5 years, as you are applying based on marriage to a USC and are eligible to file in 3 years instead of 5 years.

As for accuracy, if your stays outside of the US come close to the 18 month limit for eligibility, then yes, accuracy will count. However, if it is only a matter of a one, two or 4 week vacation, once or twice a year, then be as accurate as possible.

You do not require other forms, however, don't forget the fee for biometrics. At the moment it is $70 and file before June if possible as the fee for naturalization is almost triple what it is at the moment if you file mid-June, 2007.
Hi Rete! You are such a great source for info!

I just found my previous passport! Phew! I only made one week trips here and there, but I wanted to be super accurate.

I'm applying now, as I knew the fees were going to go up, just wasn't sure when.....

Now, what is this Biometrics?
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete! You are such a great source for info!

I just found my previous passport! Phew! I only made one week trips here and there, but I wanted to be super accurate.

I'm applying now, as I knew the fees were going to go up, just wasn't sure when.....

Now, what is this Biometrics?
The biometrics is just a fancy name for fingerprinting. You will receive a NOA in the mail from the service center approximately 2 weeks after mailing telling you that your package was received, blah, blah, blah. There will be a case number on the NOA and you can track your progress on the USCIS website under the status link. Don't be surprised if it is inaccurate ;-(

Anywhere from one week to 3 months later you will receive a notice from the service center with an appointment for your biometrics. This appointment is the inkless fingerprinting required for security clearance. If the appointment is on a date or at a time inconvenient for you, you can usually just take the letter in on a day or time that is good for you and ask if they could do your biometrics then. Do this before the scheduled appointment, not after. 99 out of 100 ASC offices are pleasant and accommodating.

One other thing is that when you get that first NOA it might have a legend on it that says documentation is missing or incomplete. Don't take it to heart and don't worry about it. It is standard language for some service centers, i.e. Vermont and means nothing.

The second NOA you will receive will be your appointment date for the naturalization interview and test. Hopefully you will be given the old test and not the new one. It is easier, believe it or not.

If your district office is one of the few that does testing and swearing in on the same day, then bring your hubby and family with you, even if they have to wait outside for a bit.

Also if it is not and you are told you will receive the letter for the oath ceremony in the mail, politely ask if you may wait for the letter that same day. NYC allows you to do this. Other district offices might as well. That, waiting for the oath date letter to arrive, as well as waiting for the security clearance if it is not complete at the time of your interview, are the two reasons why some people have been left hanging for months and years.

Any other questions we can help you with LOL
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Not going to edit my post, but forgot you are in NYC ... you will not do the same day swearing in and you can ask to wait for the letter at the time of the interview...COFFEE PLEASE
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to declare your traffic tickets.
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't forget to declare your traffic tickets.
Thanks so much! I'm actually on Long Island now... does that make any difference?
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much! I'm actually on Long Island now... does that make any difference?
OK, I've read the instructions a few times, and I don't understand if I need to send anything other than the form, $330 and $70. Do I need photos?
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Any traffic offenses committed anywhere in the whole of the US of A. It goes under the question featuring citations.
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any traffic offenses committed anywhere in the whole of the US of A. It goes under the question featuring citations.
Oh sorry Fatbrit! I meant that question to be directed to Rete! No traffic problems, I'm a good girl!
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:09 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

What about UK speeding tix?? Am curious - i file N-400 next year!
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:52 pm

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:37:17 +0000, britchicknyc
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>> Thanks so much! I'm actually on Long Island now... does that make any
>> difference?
>
>OK, I've read the instructions a few times, and I don't understand
>if I need to send anything other than the form, $330 and $70. Do I
>need photos?

Yes, and they don't need to show the earlobe anymore. They are picky
about it, especially the background color.
If you read the instructions, as you claim you did, you'll see the
requirement for fotos clearly.
If not, be sure to download and read the Guide to Naturalization
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

It has all the info you will need, including the photograph
requirements!
Good luck

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:14 pm
Templar

> > Thanks so much! I'm actually on Long Island now... does that make
> > any
> > difference?
>
> OK, I've read the instructions a few times, and I don't understand
> if I need to send anything other than the form, $330 and $70. Do I
> need photos?

Yes, you do need 2 photos among many others. Download M-476 Guide to
Naturalization from USCIS website. It has a complete information on
what you need to do and how to do it.

--

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:16 pm
Concierge

OK, I've read the instructions a few times, and I don't understand if I need to send anything other than the form, $330 and $70. Do I need photos?
Yes, you need to send photos
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:18 pm
Concierge

It means that you might be doing your interviewing at the Garden City office instead of New York City. That also means they ~might~ not be able to approve you the same day. Depends on the qualifications of the interviewing officer.

Last edited by Rete; May 2nd 2007 at 7:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.