Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for B2 visa simultaneously to L1

Applying for B2 visa simultaneously to L1

Old Apr 5th 2023, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Ukexpat23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for B2 visa simultaneously to L1

Hi All,

I'm in the process of applying for an L1 visa and currently waiting for the waiver of ineligibility. I understand this can take from a few to several months.

My question is, whilst I wait for this waiver to come through, can I simultaneously apply for a B2 tourist visa and start any waiver process I need for that? The reason is because due to the delays, I may not stay with the company (haven't decided yet) hence the L1 would not be needed even if the waiver comes through. However, I have a holiday planned in late summer which I would still like to go to and so would like to get started with any waiver process for a tourist visa.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if any clarifications required.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for B2 visa simultaneously to L1

It depends what you mean by "late summer", but I think a waiver is unlikely to be approved by what I would consider late summer even if you submitted the application today.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2023 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 1:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukexpat23
Hi All,

I'm in the process of applying for an L1 visa and currently waiting for the waiver of ineligibility. I understand this can take from a few to several months.

My question is, whilst I wait for this waiver to come through, can I simultaneously apply for a B2 tourist visa and start any waiver process I need for that? The reason is because due to the delays, I may not stay with the company (haven't decided yet) hence the L1 would not be needed even if the waiver comes through. However, I have a holiday planned in late summer which I would still like to go to and so would like to get started with any waiver process for a tourist visa.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if any clarifications required.
I think I understand what you are trying to do (1 waiver, 2 visas). I have never needed a waiver so I can’t speak from experience, there are others on here who can. But I don’t think a waiver is attached to you as an individual, I think it’s per visa application. I know a new waiver is needed when a a new (renewal) visa is applied for.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I think I understand what you are trying to do (1 waiver, 2 visas). I have never needed a waiver so I can’t speak from experience, there are others on here who can. But I don’t think a waiver is attached to you as an individual, I think it’s per visa application. I know a new waiver is needed when a a new (renewal) visa is applied for.
Yes, I agree. I have never used the waiver process myself, but I understand the process to be that every visa application that requires a waiver is sent through the same waiver process irrespective of whether a waiver has been applied for previously, or how many times a waiver has been granted.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2023 at 2:12 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ukexpat23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it's more of a case of if I decide not to stay with the company, then the L1 waiver is not useful for me as I'd need to travel on a B2. So may as well get that B2 process started? And can I technically get a B2 visa process started now, even though the L1 is in flight?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, I agree. I have never used the waiver process myself, but I understand the process to be that every visa application that requires a waiver is sent through the waiver process irrespective of whether a waiver has been applied for previously, or how many times a waiver has been granted.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ukexpat23
.... And can I technically get a B2 visa process started now, even though the L1 is in flight?
Yes, contrary to the popular myth, it is perfectly possible to have two, or more, visa applications in processing simultaneously, and not "technically", but actually!