Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Wikiposts

Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:06 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Originally Posted by civilservant
Ill defer to clear experience there, I've never had any involvement with the Police
Involvement with the police can be by virtue of a persons work you realise?

Further reading on bail here: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/bail/#a04
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:08 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't come down in the last banana boat, so yes, I'm well aware of that.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:20 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
So you lied yourself then did you?

Let me ask you a question? What do you think will happen to him in x years time when they get access to UK Police Records probably by fingerprint! Then they would know that he lied to get into the country and he would be screwed. He may even do a little american jail time. And they will get that eventually you know, one day something will happen that they don't like and they will force the issue.
I must admit, since living here, i've realied that the US has _far_ greater immigration issues to deal with than people lying on their visa waiver application.

Not that this makes the actions of this individual remotely condonable, but rather I don't think what you're suggesting will happen ever will.

My two cents..
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Elf2719 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rmart
when I applied for my first visa (over 20 years ago) the officer at the embassy actually asked me why I had applied for a visa. I informed him it was on the advice of my brother as he knew my circumstances.

The Office actually said to me that I should not have bothered ! But now I am in the system I cannot change it. It was in 1989 that I receive my conviction (I was 26yrs old). I am now 50 years old and I will have to go through his process for the rest of my life.

Every visa I have had in the past was issued within a few days. This time they have changed the process and they are quoting 26 weeks !. I have been to USA on no less than 25 occasions and never so much as had a parking ticket there. It is crazy.

The last 2 visas I have had were 5 year ones. I am hoping for another 5 year one this time. I am clearly not considered any risk if they gave me a 5 year visa twice before.

Please dont get me wrong. I actually love the system. I wish the UK was like this. It is just frustrating that I had to miss a holiday in March as I had no idea they had changed the processing procedure.
I've only just spotted this post. I can feel your frustration and I know that realistically, it may not be an issue if I wasn't to declare my arrest and that actually it will probably just end up that my honesty means that I'm penalised in future (e.g. Always having to apply for and pay for a visa for the rest of my life). However, i don't do good with lying and just couldn't, especially not on something official like this. I hope that providing things go as I would expect them to given that I haven't committed a crime, that I will be granted a visa for my trip and then will eventually be granted 5 year visas if I visit a lot, much like you. I can certainly understand how annoying it must be that one mistake 20 odd years ago means that you keep having to go through the same process.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:43 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elf2719
I've only just spotted this post. I can feel your frustration and I know that realistically, it may not be an issue if I wasn't to declare my arrest and that actually it will probably just end up that my honesty means that I'm penalised in future (e.g. Always having to apply for and pay for a visa for the rest of my life). However, i don't do good with lying and just couldn't, especially not on something official like this. I hope that providing things go as I would expect them to given that I haven't committed a crime, that I will be granted a visa for my trip and then will eventually be granted 5 year visas if I visit a lot, much like you. I can certainly understand how annoying it must be that one mistake 20 odd years ago means that you keep having to go through the same process.
If this arrest doesn't lead to anything further (ie. either the charges are dropped or you are found innocent at trial), then you can potentially be given a 10 year visitor visa.

rmart has received 5 year visas as that is the maximum validity allowed when a waiver of ineligibility is needed.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Elf2719 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
If this arrest doesn't lead to anything further (ie. either the charges are dropped or you are found innocent at trial), then you can potentially be given a 10 year visitor visa.

rmart has received 5 year visas as that is the maximum validity allowed when a waiver of ineligibility is needed.
That would be an ideal situation. Right now I need to wait and see what happens and as soon as it's all (hopefully) cleared up, apply for a visa and hopefully get it in time to go to the US for my very good friends wedding.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

zsxcg263 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm also waiting for the waiver decision due to class A finding for my medical. I'm not convicted of any CIMT but have a recent alcohol related arrest (now is over 12 months ago but was 3 weeks short at the time of my medical).

On July 24, 2013, I had my initial visa interview, during which, as well as on my DS-160, I disclosed the public intoxication charge (a misdemeanor C charge occurred in Texas on Sept. 1, 2012, which I have already paid the fine for and will be dismissed on coming Oct. 23, 2013). I was informed by the Consulate to take a medical examination on Aug. 6, 2013. I obtained the medical result report and submitted it to the consulate on Aug. 8, 2013. On Aug. 14, 2013, I was asked to go for another interview in the consulate, during which not many questions were asked. At the end of the interview, I was given the refusal worksheet as attached and the consulate officer informed me that a waiver request has already been submitted on my behalf. Through the follow-up email correspondence with the consulate, I confirmed the waiver recommendation was submitted on Aug. 14, 2013 through ARIS, due to a class "A" finding in the medical report. I was told by a panel physician regarding to the Class "A" finding and was informed that an "A" has to be assigned due to the recency of my incident (3 weeks short from being 12 months since the incident at the time of the exam).

So my questions are:
1). Given the waiver decision takes a LONG time and I really need to go back to work ASAP and on the visa status website, my case is already showing as "refused", is it possible for me to make another appt and go for another interview and medical? I'm pretty sure that I should be able to get a Class B finding this time (which is not inadmissible) and I should have all my dismissal documents for my case, so is it possible for me to get a visa before a waiver decision?
2). in my case, is there any way to expedite the process? is there anyway for me to get the visa SOONER?
3). if I HAVE TO wait for the waiver, has anybody been approved for a waiver in the similar situation like me? And how long did it take? (BTW, I'm applying in a consulate in China and the waiver recommendation was submitted to CBP on 8/14/2013)

Thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

1) No - since you already have a visa application on process. It's on hold pending the waiver review.
2) No - and indeed the shutdown may be adversely affecting wait times for waivers. See below.
3) The standard time from London is around 6 months. No idea about China and no idea how the shutdown may be affecting this lead time.