Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Wikiposts

Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Elf2719 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for a B2 visa after recent arrest

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I presume that you have thoroughly checked your bail documents to ensure that you are permitted to leave the country?
Yes, thank you. My only condition is to turn up at the police station on the date that they want me too in about a month. It's a relief as I actually get married in two months so if I couldn't go on my honeymoon it would be awful. It's bad enough having this hanging over me.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

rmart is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been through this process and my 100% advice to you is just travel on the visa waiver programme. No one will ever know you have been arrested.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:09 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Except that an attorney, in face-to-face discussion, can get a better understanding of the details of the situation than we are going to get here exchanging written posts.

I agree with civilservant that a consultation would be worthwhile.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by lansbury
All an attorney has to go on is the OPs version of the facts which are meaningless until such time as the investigation is complete and exonerates him or not.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:19 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Except that an attorney, in face-to-face discussion, can get a better understanding of the details of the situation than we are going to get here exchanging written posts.

I agree with civilservant that a consultation would be worthwhile.

Regards, JEff
All the attorney will get is a one side account of what happened. Their advice based on that account will be worthless because the information given to them will be a distorted account of the facts. Advice based on inaccurate information is worthless no matter who gives it.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My, don't we have a low opinion of people's character today. One-sided is not necessarily distorted, and you don't think an attorney would ask to see whatever information is available from the authorities about the situation, the same as a consular officer will?

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by lansbury
All the attorney will get is a one side account of what happened. Their advice based on that account will be worthless because the information given to them will be a distorted account of the facts. Advice based on inaccurate information is worthless no matter who gives it.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rmart
I have been through this process and my 100% advice to you is just travel on the visa waiver programme. No one will ever know you have been arrested.
That is very bad advice.

If the OP completes an ESTA application honestly and declares that he has been arrested for a CIMT and his application is approved (which it almost certainly won't be) then and only then would it be appropriate for him to use the VWP.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:26 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rmart
So you lied yourself then did you?

Let me ask you a question? What do you think will happen to him in x years time when they get access to UK Police Records probably by fingerprint! Then they would know that he lied to get into the country and he would be screwed. He may even do a little american jail time. And they will get that eventually you know, one day something will happen that they don't like and they will force the issue.

Last edited by customsquestion; Aug 7th 2013 at 8:45 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice. I am aware from reading online that a lot of people jsut go for the visa waiver and don't mention their arrest but I know that to do so would be dishonest and I really don't like being dishonest. (Quite ironic given what my arrest is for really!) I just wouldn't be comfortable doing it as I hate lying and would find the whole process stressful, not to mention I would worry it may come back to bite me in the future.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

rmart is an unknown quantity at this point

when I applied for my first visa (over 20 years ago) the officer at the embassy actually asked me why I had applied for a visa. I informed him it was on the advice of my brother as he knew my circumstances.

The Office actually said to me that I should not have bothered ! But now I am in the system I cannot change it. It was in 1989 that I receive my conviction (I was 26yrs old). I am now 50 years old and I will have to go through his process for the rest of my life.

Every visa I have had in the past was issued within a few days. This time they have changed the process and they are quoting 26 weeks !. I have been to USA on no less than 25 occasions and never so much as had a parking ticket there. It is crazy.

The last 2 visas I have had were 5 year ones. I am hoping for another 5 year one this time. I am clearly not considered any risk if they gave me a 5 year visa twice before.

Please dont get me wrong. I actually love the system. I wish the UK was like this. It is just frustrating that I had to miss a holiday in March as I had no idea they had changed the processing procedure.

Last edited by rmart; Aug 7th 2013 at 10:41 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elf2719
Yes, thank you. My only condition is to turn up at the police station on the date that they want me too in about a month. It's a relief as I actually get married in two months so if I couldn't go on my honeymoon it would be awful. It's bad enough having this hanging over me.

Thanks again for all the help.
and of course, if they decide to continue the bail for a couple of months, or charge you with anything and set a court date, you just aren't likely to be going on your honeymoon..
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
and of course, if they decide to continue the bail for a couple of months, or charge you with anything and set a court date, you just aren't likely to be going on your honeymoon..
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think you can really judge that, can you? (although if you do have inside knowledge and are aware of how the justice system works and know that if my bail is extended then I will not be able to travel, then please do let me know that's the case because I won't bother booking my honeymoon tonight.)

As far as I am aware, there is no reason to think that I won't be travelling on my honeymoon in October. I have not committed a crime, I am however on bail at the moment with no conditions to my bail. I expect my bail may be extended as from what I've been told, these investigations can take an awfully long time however I trust that as I have not done a single thing wrong that I will not be charged or convicted of a crime. As I said before, I don't know why if the investigations were on going, my bail conditions would become more stringent than previously and I wouldn't be able to travel but if you know otherwise do inform me. Otherwise if it is just scare mongering, I could really do without it as the past fortnight has been awful.

Thanks again for those who have offered postive advice based on experience of the US visa system and fact.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The simplest way to find out what restrictions (if any) are placed upon you is to call the Police Station and ask to speak to the Arresting Officer, or a Sergeant if they are not on duty.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:49 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why not? Do you have any knowledge of how the UK bail system works, or are you just talking ignorant twaddle?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:52 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The simplest way to find out what restrictions (if any) are placed upon you is to call the Police Station and ask to speak to the Arresting Officer, or a Sergeant if they are not on duty.
Bail conditions are listed on your charge sheet. As the OP will (almost certainly) be on DCB (delay charge bail), the charge sheet will simply have a statement to the effect of 'bailed pending further investigations'. You are free to leave the country as you please unless otherwise stipulated on this sheet.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ill defer to clear experience there, I've never had any involvement with the Police

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.