Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applyed for H1B in Moscow. 3 mo. passed and no decision from the consulate. Still have 3y. B1 stamp.

Applyed for H1B in Moscow. 3 mo. passed and no decision from the consulate. Still have 3y. B1 stamp.

Old Dec 29th 2001, 5:37 am
A . G .

I wonder if anybody had similar experience and could share it?

One year ago I went to the US on business. At that time the consulate issued me a
multiple entry visa B1 which is still valid for two more years. While being in the
States I received a job offer from quite known big company. The companies's legal
department completed all the necessary paperwork including Labor Certification and
INS approval. I could have readjusted my status from B1 to H1B within the States.
But due to personal circumstances I left the US in August 2001. As it was explained
to me, the process shouldn't take longer that way. Anyway, I turned all the INS, LC
papers, and etc. to the embassy and went on the interview. The consular officer was
the most unhappy about my overstaying during the prev. visit to the States. But I
have applied and been approved through INS for an extension of my stay in the US. I
brought in the official INS letter confirming that extension has been granted and
nothing has been violated. The officer looked kind of dubiously at the INS paper
and mentioned something about checking its authenticity. Shortly after, the embassy
closed down for visitors. Now it' been close to 3 months as they keep my passport,
all the paperwork, documents, and $450 visa fee. Every time I call their $1.6 info
line I got the same answer that my file is under consideration. How long it will
last, they are not authorized to tell.

Please if some one is being through similar things let me know.

Does any one know how long could it take the consulate to verify with the INS the
authenticity of that extension of stay paper?

Thanks, Andy