Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Application for a social security card

Application for a social security card

Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application for a social security card

Hi sorry if this sounds stupid but...I know my husband is to apply for a social security card as he's working here in the U.S. I am here as a spouse on an L2 visa but may work at some point so should I apply for one now too regardless of work? Would I tick 'legal Alien allowed to work' on the form? What about the children do they need one/should have one?

Sorry if this sounds dumb! Still new to everything
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for a social security card

Originally Posted by Eddie35
Hi sorry if this sounds stupid but...I know my husband is to apply for a social security card as he's working here in the U.S. I am here as a spouse on an L2 visa but may work at some point so should I apply for one now too regardless of work? Would I tick 'legal Alien allowed to work' on the form? What about the children do they need one/should have one? .....
As an L-2 holder you need an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) before you are allowed to work. Apply, and you'll receive the EAD in about three months, then you are allowed to work and can apply for an SSN.

I don't recall what happens to your children. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you with that now that your thread is back at the top. I do know that it has to be either an SSN or a TIN, otherwise they can't go on your tax return as dependents.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2015 at 4:50 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eddie35
What about the children do they need one/should have one?

Sorry if this sounds dumb! Still new to everything
You'll need to get ITINs for your children. You can apply for these when you do your first tax return.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As an L-2 holder you need an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) before you are allowed to work. Apply, and you'll receive the EAD in about three months, then you are allowed to work and can apply for an SSN.
I *think* that an L2 visa holder can apply for a SSN before the EAD arrives (on the rather confusing basis that the visa category entitles the holder the work, with DHS approval).

Happy to be corrected...
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1981
I *think* that an L2 visa holder can apply for a SSN before the EAD arrives...
Correct.

Ian