AOS success in Detroit (long)

Old Aug 15th 2002, 1:37 pm
Jan

Default AOS success in Detroit (long)

YaY !! Our AOS was approved yesterday (14th) in Detroit. We arrived there at 7am
(very very advisable) were handed a checklist (see below) sorted our papers out, did
some last minute signing of our biographics .... ooops forgot to fill in the lil box
at the bottom when i did the pdf's .... and waited ... and waited ... and waited.
Meanwhile half the world and his wife (but not dog) turned up. After about an hour
and a half we were called. Disaster !! ADIT pics not right size (nebraska didnt
complain about them last year) and we hadnt filled in an ADIT worksheet form, which
we had never heard of before. Also we had bought W2's and needed 1040's ... so off
downtown Detroit, pretty easy lil trip, to the tax office to have a talk with the
nice lady, who furnished us with the documents. Back to INS offices ... well back to
the lil place opposite for ADIT pics which by the way only cost an arm n a leg (be
warned, great service but very pricy). Back into the offices and handed in our
'completed' pack once again , more waiting and waiting this time standing room only
and lots fractious kids. Called to desk .... more disaster !! we needed copies of all
forms even the Affidavit of support, tax forms, wage slips , marriage cert ......
everything for K2 sons packs too. Back over road to lil place for copies of all the
offending docs *sigh* . Returned these to the nice lady and were told to take a seat
(quite a joke by then the place was full to bursting!) half hour later we were called
again .... success everything was in order, just the checks to hand over. We were
told to return in an hour for our interview and to get our passports stamped, if we
were approved of course. Off we went to the nearest Big Boy .. fooood and coffeee !!!
and a lovely waitress too, so nice to see someone with a smile on their face. OK one
last trip back to the offices ... YES !! after a 10 minute sit down we were called
for our interview and my K2 sons were fingerprinted. The interview was straight
forward ... are we married ?? YES ... do we live together as husband and wife?YES
..... am i here for terrorist or other communist reasons? NO Passports stamped with
temp evidence of permanant residence. Green cards to follow in around 6 months !!

LIST OF FORMS FOR WALK IN K1 AOS AT DETROIT

K-1 approval letter (photocopy) I -475 application to register $255 filing fee (check
or money order only) Birth Certificate and translation if not english (photocopy)
Marriage Certificate (photocopy) 2 photos ADIT type G-325A biographic information
I-94 proof of legal entry (photocopy of I-94 both sides and indentity page from
passport too) ADIT worksheet (no number for this ask for one when you arrive) I-864
Affidavit of support federal income tax returns for most recent 3 years and letter of
employment

NOTE : they dont need forms I-765 application for employment authorisation I-131
application for travel document Neither of these are needed as they are
automatically granted when they stamp your passport with temp perm
resident thingy

OK thats all for now, we will post our full K1 (K2) experience soon

Happy Happy Happy

Jan & Ed ))