Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS papers, Maiden name, Marriage name dos it matter?

AOS papers, Maiden name, Marriage name dos it matter?

Old Jul 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Lal

Default AOS papers, Maiden name, Marriage name dos it matter?

On forms I-485, G-325A, I-693,( Does it matter if I put my maiden name( birth name)
or do I need to put my current legal name? which is Jones the last name of my X's
which I opted to keep after the divorce. I'm not going to take my current husbands
name for cultural reasons)

I put my maiden name figuring it will match my birth certificate for INS simpletons.

Old Jul 15th 2002, 4:21 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS papers, Maiden name, Marriage name dos it matter?

Originally posted by Lal
On forms I-485, G-325A, I-693, does it matter if I put my maiden name (birth name) or do I need to put my current legal name? which is Jones the last name of my X's which I opted to keep after the divorce. (I'm not going to take my current husbands name for cultural reasons)

I put my maiden name figuring it will match my birth certificate for INS simpletons.
I also kept my ex's surname after we divorced. All of my legal documents -- SS card, drivers license, passport, etc. -- are in my legal (ex-married, not maiden) name. This also goes for my tax returns, employment documentation and credit card and bank accounts. The only major official identity document in my maiden name is my birth certificate. I'm assuming you're in a similar circumstance.

In my opinion, you should use your LEGAL name -- which, in this case, is your ex's surname -- NOT your maiden name on the forms. As far as the U.S. government is considered, you are "Lal Jones" (ex's name), not "Lal Maiden-Name."

I'm basing this opinion on a response I received to my question in the thread "Marriage Certificate AND Divorce Certificate?" The comment from Cp was:

...the marriage certificate is only needed on the I-129f petition if you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents, you must give INS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order...

In this case, the "relevant document" would be your birth certificate, which is in your maiden name. The marriage certificate is the legal document that shows the name change from your maiden name to your current legal one.

Even though Cp was referring to the I-129F petition, I believe it's a safe assumption that this rationale could be applied to any and all document filing steps with the INS. I could be completely wrong, though, so hopefully others here can clarify and/or confirm my opinion.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 15th 2002, 2:20 pm
Andy Platt

Except where it specifically asks for your maiden name (or other names) you put your
current name down. Putting your maiden name down when that isn't your current name
could cause problems.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "LAL" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On forms I-485, G-325A, I-693,( Does it matter if I put my maiden name( birth name)
    > or do I need to put my current legal name? which is Jones the last name of my X's
    > which I opted to keep after the divorce. I'm not going to take my current husbands
    > name for cultural reasons)
    >
    > I put my maiden name figuring it will match my birth certificate for INS
    > simpletons.

Old Jul 15th 2002, 9:20 pm
Kakaka

Hi there !

I put my legal name in all the petitions . I don't have any problem getting EAD or
fingerprint at all. You just have to keep your marriage license with you always to
show them in case they need to see it.

Good luck.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Susie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to change all my official documents to my new married name... drivers license, passport, etc. (no visa paperwork has been filed just yet)

Does anyone know if its easier just to wait until I get to the US to do it? Or is it better to do it now before we file the paperwork (I-130 probably in a few weeks when we get our marriage certificate).

My only concern is that if I forget to change something that they ask for, then it won't match or it will delay things until I can change it. Anyone have a checklist of all the relevant documents that I would have to make sure I change?
Old Jul 17th 2002, 1:20 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

Put your current legal name

Jeff

"LAL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On forms I-485, G-325A, I-693,( Does it matter if I put my maiden name( birth name)
    > or do I need to put my current legal name? which is Jones the last name of my X's
    > which I opted to keep after the divorce. I'm not going to take my current husbands
    >
    > simpletons.

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Johnson Pervis

Your legal name is Jones. There is a place to put "other names" like your maiden
name. When you changed your name to Jones, it became your legal name. Unless your
divorce decree states that you revert back to your maiden name, Jones is still your
legal name. You'll have to change it legally, however your state handles name changes
if you want to revert to your maiden name. Just wondering... why did you change your
name with your prior marriage and don't want to now? Change of culture?

You'll need to put Jones when they ask for your name, since that is your legal name.
Otherwise, change it back to your maiden name however your state requires. You'll
have to change to your maiden name everywhere. SS, Credit cards, utility bill, etc.

I trust you have NOT yet sent in the form with the incorrect name?

--
Johnson "LAL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > simpletons.

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Johnson Pervis

You cannot change your name on anything UNTIL you get your marriage certificate to
use as proof of the new name. Use your new married name on all INS forms. You must be
somewhere where they do Direct Consular Filing or else you have a long row to hoe.
Marriage first is only the way to go in certain countries. Are you in the UK? If in a
country where they don't do DCF, you will wait several years to come to US.

--
Johnson "Susie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I am about to change all my official documents to my new married name... drivers
    > license, passport, etc. (no visa paperwork has been filed just yet)
    >
    > Does anyone know if its easier just to wait until I get to the US to do it? Or is
    > it better to do it now before we file the paperwork (I-130 probably in a few weeks
    > when we get our marriage certificate).
    >
    > My only concern is that if I forget to change something that they ask for, then it
    > won't match or it will delay things until I can change it. Anyone have a checklist
    > of all the relevant documents that I would have to make sure I change?
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 18th 2002, 6:20 am
Lal

"Johnson Pervis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] news.com>...
    > Just wondering... why did you change your name with your prior marriage and don't
    > want to now? Change of culture?

Yes, I stated that in the original question.

> You'll need to put Jones when they ask for your name, since that is your legal
    > name. Otherwise, change it back to your maiden name however your state requires.
    >
    > I trust you have NOT yet sent in the form with the incorrect name?

The freaken attorney said it was ok. Dang it, yes, with $655 dollars too. Get this I
put but Jones on my new marriage licence when I really wanted my maiden name back.
lol.. Why do I do this to myself, so anyway, I guess I'll have to live with my X's
family name for life. Ohh Till Death do us part. @

Old Jul 18th 2002, 2:20 pm
Johnson Pervis

No!!! No need to live with a name you do not like. Change it legally, however your
state requires. Should be easy since you want to go back to your maiden name and that
is the name on your BC. Look into it. Everyone should be known by the name they wish
to be known by. Good luck to you!

--
Johnson "LAL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Johnson Pervis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] news.com>...
    > > Just wondering... why did you change your name with your prior marriage
and
    > > don't want to now? Change of culture?
    >
    > Yes, I stated that in the original question.
    >
    > > You'll need to put Jones when they ask for your name, since that is your legal
    > > name. Otherwise, change it back to your maiden name however your state requires.
    > >
    > > I trust you have NOT yet sent in the form with the incorrect name?
    >
    > The freaken attorney said it was ok. Dang it, yes, with $655 dollars too. Get this
    > I put but Jones on my new marriage licence when I really wanted my maiden name
    > back. lol.. Why do I do this to myself, so anyway, I guess I'll have to live with
    > my X's family name for life. Ohh Till Death do us part. @

Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

When Greg and I get married, I will not be changing my name... I will keep my maiden name.. because it's the modern world... will this cause problems with the INS when it comes to AOS? Will they expect me to change my name or have they accepted that it the 21st century?
Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

swoosh is an unknown quantity at this point

No they won't expect you to change your name. There are better ways of proving that you are having a genuine relationship. I won't be changing my name either and from what I have read here many others haven't and it has caused no problems.

Good Luck =)!
Jeannine