Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS - I Visa to Greencard process questions!

AOS - I Visa to Greencard process questions!

Old May 24th 2009, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS - I Visa to Greencard process questions!

Originally Posted by henryh
Is it technically legal to enter on a non-immigrant visa (I) with the intention of adjusting to immigrant status?

Or does the intention issue only apply to VWP? What about B1/B2?
Hi:

The VWT is a method of entering in B-2 status.

Take a look at the Immigration & Nationality Act for the definitions at section 101(a)(15)(B) and 101(a)(15)(I). I suggest you might want to read an old BIA case from the 70's entitled Matter of Hosseinpour.

Please note that although I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.

Good luck, my friend.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; May 24th 2009 at 1:12 am. Reason: edit out an inappropriate flame
Old May 24th 2009, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lostfairyuk
There are so many 'immigration lawyers' in New York. I have met with a couple, but have yet to find one that doesn't make me feel like they are just trying to get $1000+ out of me. I've found the whole process a bit disheartening.

Do you guys think I need a lawyer to do this? Or can I do it myself?

I'm torn between wanting to get it done properly and efficiently / getting ripped off by someone who just puts some paper in the post for me.

Any thoughts? Did you all use lawyers or do it yourself?

Thanks,

Nicola
Hi:

Whether or not you use a lawyer is up to you. There may or may not be a complicating factor there. You may or may not get the DAO from Hell as an interviewing officer. Sometimes, it is just a comfort factor.

On the fee, lawyers like to get paid for their work.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are all so helpful. Thank you so much Rene, Ian and meauxna

I am not against hiring an attorney, but I have yet to find one that I feel I can trust and is not just reeling off general answers, or making me feel like I am just there to hand them a check. Does anyone have anyone to recommend in the NY / NJ area?

Nicola
You do not have to be limited to lawyers just in your area. Immigration law is Federal, so you can use an attorney in any state you find a good one in. Sometimes, the lawyer and the client never even see each other in person...they do everything by phone, mail, and email.

Rene
Old May 24th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

lostfairyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Whether or not you use a lawyer is up to you. There may or may not be a complicating factor there. You may or may not get the DAO from Hell as an interviewing officer. Sometimes, it is just a comfort factor.

On the fee, lawyers like to get paid for their work.
Hi Folinskyinla,

Sorry if my comment seemed harsh - it came across poorly. I really have just yet to find one I trust in my meeting them - I am certain if I found one I felt comfortable with it would be money well spent.

Nicola
Old May 24th 2009, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Hi Folinskyinla,

Sorry if my comment seemed harsh - it came across poorly. I really have just yet to find one I trust in my meeting them - I am certain if I found one I felt comfortable with it would be money well spent.

Nicola
Hi:

I have no problem with that.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

This is an organization question on printing and putting together my package.

Do I leave the applications loose or staple them together? put them in seperate envelopes to each other inside one big envelope?

I've never seen an ACCO fastener in my life (I had to google it to see what it was) I assume bulldog clips are ok?!

How did you all put your AOS packages together?

I read the tips below which are very helpful but not conclusive...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I stapled pages together if it was a multi-page form - for example, I stapled the 4 pages of the G-325A together, I stapled the multiple pages of the I-485 together.

Then I held the form and all backup evidence together with a bulldog clip.

I used a separate envelpe for each application, and then put all those envelopes into one big envelope for mailing.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

lfuk,

I did essentially the same as N, except that I held all the applications together with yet another, bigger, bulldog clip rather than putting them in separate envelopes.

Regards, JEff

This is an organization question on printing and putting together my package.

Do I leave the applications loose or staple them together? put them in seperate envelopes to each other inside one big envelope?
Originally Posted by Noorah101
I stapled pages together if it was a multi-page form - for example, I stapled the 4 pages of the G-325A together, I stapled the multiple pages of the I-485 together.

Then I held the form and all backup evidence together with a bulldog clip.

I used a separate envelpe for each application, and then put all those envelopes into one big envelope for mailing.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys, and thanks for the tips!

I was just getting DH to check his G-325A form over for mistakes. In the address section, I put his family home in NJ, and then the last 2 apartments he has lived with me at in NY, where he also works.

He is registered to vote and pays his taxes from his family home, but physically lives with me, and has done for the last year and a half. We do go back on the weekend from time to time to his family home.

I'm a bit confused as to what to put for the addresses (and now on the other forms too...) Because we do live together, but...

help please?!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

lfuk,

The question does not ask for one's address, it asks for their place of residence.

The answer to both questions may take the same form, so be sure to read carefully and answer the question that is asked.

Regards, JEff

Hi guys, and thanks for the tips!

I was just getting DH to check his G-325A form over for mistakes. In the address section, I put his family home in NJ, and then the last 2 apartments he has lived with me at in NY, where he also works.

He is registered to vote and pays his taxes from his family home, but physically lives with me, and has done for the last year and a half. We do go back on the weekend from time to time to his family home.

I'm a bit confused as to what to put for the addresses (and now on the other forms too...) Because we do live together, but...

help please?!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
lfuk,

The question does not ask for one's address, it asks for their place of residence.

The answer to both questions may take the same form, so be sure to read carefully and answer the question that is asked.

Regards, JEff
The I-864 gives 2 options - mailing address and place of residence - is this the sort of definition you are trying to explain?

ie his mailing address is in NJ, where his important mail gets sent, and his place of residence is in NY where he sleeps, eats and basically, lives/ resides?

Thanks again, I really just want to get this right!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:36 pm

lfuk,

The I-864 does not give "options".
- for the sponsored immigrant it asks specifically for mailing address
- for the sponsor it asks specifically for mailing address and (not or), the place of residence if different from the mailing address.

As I said, "be sure to read carefully".

Regards, JEff

The I-864 gives 2 options - mailing address and place of residence - is this the sort of definition you are trying to explain?

ie his mailing address is in NJ, where his important mail gets sent, and his place of residence is in NY where he sleeps, eats and basically, lives/ resides?

Thanks again, I really just want to get this right!

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 17th 2009 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

lfuk,

The I-864 does not give "options".
- for the sponsored immigrant it asks specifically for mailing address
- for the sponsor it asks specifically for mailing address and (not or), the place of residence if different from the mailing address.

As I said, "be sure to read carefully".

Regards, JEff
thanks Jeff, but unfortunately, you have left me even more confused!

I was using the I-864 trying to define residence/mailing address and how it relates to my husband's situation.

does anyone else have any idea?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:01 pm

lsuk,

If this question is going back to the G-325A, the questions seems quite clear - "Applicant's residence last five years."

You've written in your posts, "physically lives with me" and "we do live together"

What are you confused about?

Regards, JEff

thanks Jeff, but unfortunately, you have left me even more confused!

I was using the I-864 trying to define residence/mailing address and how it relates to my husband's situation.

does anyone else have any idea?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

lsuk,

If this question is going back to the G-325A, the questions seems quite clear - "Applicant's residence last five years."

You've written in your posts, "physically lives with me" and "we do live together"

What are you confused about?

Regards, JEff
Ok - I think I'm making this more complicated than it is aren't I?!

You've cleared it up, thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.