Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS/Green Card Limbo!! Help & Advice please.

AOS/Green Card Limbo!! Help & Advice please.

Old Dec 8th 2001, 6:14 am
John Ko

Hi all,

My wife & I applied for an I-130 last fall. We were delighted when we got an
interview appointment for July 11 of this year. We thought it was super-fast and
extremely happy about it. The problem was this:

The interview itself was fine, but the officer told us that they had received a memo
that very day (from the Vermont office I believe) that, due to a 60-day backlog (on
the issuance of Green Cards or the 551 stamp or whatever it was), they couldn't give
my wife her temporary passport stamp. As far as I understood (based on what I've read
and also on the experience of a friend who had gone through a K-1 process), she would
normally have received this stamp on her passport as temporary proof of conditional
residency status until we got the green card in the mail. (Please correct me if I
have any of the details wrong).

We were disappointed at the delay, but thought it was fine. We were told we should
expect a letter in the mail indicating when we should return to receive the stamp. A
month went by with nothing. We got a little worried, but since it was a 2-month
delay, we decided to wait 2 months before investigating. Exactly 2 months after our
interview was Sept 11. Knowing that every govt agency was probably in chaos, we
decided to give it more time before checking on our status.

It's now December and we're getting a bit anxious. A couple of weeks ago, my wife
called INS, explained the situation, and was told some rather incoherent stuff. But
they mentioned that she could get a form I-181 to use until things get straightened
out. I called twice last week to get more info, and both times I was told they had
never heard of this I-181, plus they couldn't give us any info on a pending case
until it's gone beyond the 24-month processing timeline for NY applications.

So, we have no idea if there's some huge delay, if there's actually a problem with
our case (the interview officer told us everything was fine, except for the stamp
which she couldn't give us because of the memo), if something's gotten lost. We also
don't know whether the clock has started "ticking" on the 2-year wait after the
interview, since we're not sure if our interview "phase" is over or not.

Also, my wife's EAD and AP are about to expire, in January & February. Should we just
renew them or what? Being in limbo like this is very frustrating. Any help, advice
would be most appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

-John K.

Old Dec 8th 2001, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not NYC INS Is It????

Did I read NY? Like in NYC INS Office? The information you provided makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason I know of that could delay the issuance of the stamp which is a/k/a the I-551 stamp is if the fingerprint report has not been received or your original documentation is not available.

SUGGESTION #1:

Immediately on Monday morning call, not write, your congressional representative and ask for their immigration liaison. YOu can find out who this is on the web or in the blue pages of your local phone book. You are in limbo much like my husband was with the expiration of his I-551 stamp this past September and the actual issuance of the stamp last June (2000).

You didn't by any chance have DAO Marshall did you?

Without a current EAD and AP your wife has no legal right to work or leave and return the US. Processing time for both of these could run 60 to 90 days.

SUGGESTION #2:

If you have the time, and I suggest strongly that you try going with your wife although you might not be allowed in the building, to the NYC INS office to the third floor information desk and see what they have to say. The 1-800 number is useless and will get you no where.

SUGGESTION #3:

If you remember the name of your DAO write them with a copy to the District Director and send via overnight mail.

Good luck

Rita
Old Dec 8th 2001, 8:38 pm
John Ko

Thanks for the response.

Yes, we're in New York City. I agree with you that the 800 number is useless. We will
go to the local office Monday morning. If that doesn't do anything, we'll take your
advice and try to contact the immigration liaison.

What is a DAO? Are you referring to the immigration interviewer? I don't think that
was the name. We had this nice woman, but still should have taken down her name. I'm
regretting it now.

Thanks for the help.

-JK

in article [email protected], Rete at [email protected] wrote on
12/8/01 9:01 AM:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 8th 2001, 10:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes DAO is the title of the interviewers. District/Deputy Administrative Officer.

Our lady was nice too but very very incompetent and did not follow up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rita