Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried to file EB-5 without a lawyer

Anyone tried to file EB-5 without a lawyer

Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

karel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone tried to file EB-5 without a lawyer

I am curious if anyone ever tried to file EB-5 visa without a lawyer. I did E-2 myself in the past with success.

I am now filing for EB-5. Got a REQUEST FOR MORE INFORMATION from USCIS. It looks like tons of additional paperwork is required, but doesn't seem not doable. Still thinking about doing it myself without a lawyer.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Fawny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone tried to file EB-5 without a lawyer

Hi, We done the EB5 with a lawyer and that was bad enough! Had a huge amount of paperwork at the Embassy but it went well as everything had been covered. Expensive but worth it. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karel
Still thinking about doing it myself without a lawyer.
Thanks for the chuckle! I needed it.

Ian
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious if anyone ever tried to file EB-5 visa without a lawyer. I did E-2 myself in the past with success.

I am now filing for EB-5. Got a REQUEST FOR MORE INFORMATION from USCIS. It looks like tons of additional paperwork is required, but doesn't seem not doable. Still thinking about doing it myself without a lawyer.
Why would you want to??
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Why would you want to??
Looks like he already has...
Don't know how easy it is to pick up a lawyer mid-case, with an RFE. Didn't JCF post that these RFEs have been 'from hell' this fall?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

could it be that you got an RFE because the stuff you did yourself was insufficient and maybe a lawyer 'might' have avoided one?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyer charge a ridiculous amount for the EB-5 .... far more than its worth but the attitude is obvious ..you got that much you can afford it

good luck to you
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Whether or not to go with a lawyer or DIY, that is up to you. However, you may want to consider the fact that a common exclusion from legal malpractice policies for immigration lawyers is EB-5 work.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not know that, but it makes a lot of sense.

Presumably is is rated separately if you want to buy it in.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

OK. Maybe someone thinks that it is idiotic working without a lawyer, but...

RFE are sent to people represented by lawyers or without. When I talked to EB-5 attorneys they all confirmed that USCIS is sending ridiculous RFE to EVERYONE. Anyone can say anything to that? Or better did anyone got EB-5 immediately approved without any RFE? I think that would be very valuable piece of information as it might give indication if it is really possible make a PERFECT application... I personally don't believe so. I think USCIS is covering their butts by sending boiler plate RFEs... Some of the stuff they are asking was already provided. It seems they don't even read so carefully what was already submitted. Attorney confirmed the same.

Attorney fees are not cheap. And it seems kind of waste of money. Most of the work is to provide information, statements, path of funds... There is no one but myself who can do that.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

RFE are sent to people represented by lawyers or without. When I talked to EB-5 attorneys they all confirmed that USCIS is sending ridiculous RFE to EVERYONE. Anyone can say anything to that? Or better did anyone got EB-5 immediately approved without any RFE? I think that would be very valuable piece of information as it might give indication if it is really possible make a PERFECT application... I personally don't believe so. I think USCIS is covering their butts by sending boiler plate RFEs... Some of the stuff they are asking was already provided. It seems they don't even read so carefully what was already submitted. Attorney confirmed the same.

Attorney fees are not cheap. And it seems kind of waste of money. Most of the work is to provide information, statements, path of funds... There is no one but myself who can do that.
You would have to do that with or without a lawyer.

That is not what you pay them for.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the work is to provide information, statements, path of funds...
That's a very naive POV - but, if you believe it, then go ahead with your plan sans lawyer. If it works, great. If it doesn't - you'll know who to blame! Lawyers make a lot of money doing janitorial work.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

As a lawyer, I am not making any judgment on whether you should remain "pro se" [aka DIY]. As I mentioned, the decision is yours.

BTW, you do not give ANY information whatsoever for anyone else to really give their opinion. ALL we know is that you filed an EB-5 and received an RFE. Nothing more.

If you want to DIY, there is nothing stopping you.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Just got an approval of my petition in the mail. After filing RFE it took just 3 days for approval. Really excited.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just got an approval of my petition in the mail. After filing RFE it took just 3 days for approval. Really excited.
That's excellent news - well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.