Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone dealing with the US consulate at Mumbai, India??

Anyone dealing with the US consulate at Mumbai, India??

Old Sep 5th 2003, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone dealing with the US consulate at Mumbai, India??

Hello everyone,

I am a british citizen, resident in india for many years. My fiance has filed for our K-1 visa in vermont and we have received NOA 1 on 11th july,03

I have asked for my interview to be held at the mumbai consulate.
What i wanted to know is that shuld i send in the packet #3 forms? so that they can open my provisional file and the process can be speeded up?if yes, addressed to whom? also i got the forms 169 and 230-I from the net shuld i fill in those or fill in the ones i have requested the mumbai consulate to send- havent received them yet!!! i had written 2 emails to mumbai consulate- no replies and have been callin on nos 2363-7407/08- getting busy signals all the times!!!

Wuld really appreciate any help/guidance in this matter!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

makkabokka is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me Purvi , didnt u write that you are a British citizen ??? so why do u have to come to india for k1 visa and stuff ?? i dont understand that part. I wonder if u can ask for where u want to be interviewd . I think its according to the place where u live and under which embassy's jurisdication it comes under. And u dont send Package 3 to make them open the provisional file. When they are ready they send u for Package 3 and u have to send only d230 form. About replies form embassy dont be so postive they seldomly reply. Ask ur fiance to contact his local congressman and be in touch with the embassy perhaps that may make things fast and also ask him to be present at the the time of your interview.
best of luck
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

EricL is an unknown quantity at this point

Mumbai does not reply to emails.... at least that is what I have noticed from my own experience. I've sent them over 10 emails in the past 4 or 5 months and received no replies.

Also me and my wife have had some trouble calling them on the phone. We get the busy signal a lot too. I think the best time to call is between 11 am and noon Indian time.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

I have asked for the interview at the Mumbai consulate, bcos i have been resident in india since the last 19 years.
I didnt know that u r supposed to ask for the interview in the consulate of ur country of nationality. In the I-129f, at the place where u write, place of interview- i mentioned Mumbai and wrote a note that india is a place of residence. Would this create any probs??? Has anyone else done this kind of thing, ask for interview at a consulate other than in their country of nationality?

I hope i havent done the wrong thing
Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

PUrvi
I think the people who can answer u better are tara, amys, and profcman (he is foul mouthed but he do have some knowledge) Hope they read ur thread soon
best of luck
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:33 pm
ProfsnlOCMan

Default Re: Anyone dealing with the US consulate at Mumbai, India??

Seems like you are of INDIAN HERITAGE but with a true British
passport.

Nominally, the consulate will NOT hassle you since you are NOT a
potential "economic refugee" escaping India through a potentially
fraudulent relationship. (if you have a British passport)

I mean, you could always go back to London if you are desperate for a
better paying job.

That being said, just do the standard paperwork, AND look at my
posting from March (search this newsgroup) for TIPS on how to ensure a
smooth K1.

Without more information about your true passport status, ethnicity,
your fiancee's ethnicity etc etc its hard to predict the outcome -

All I can say is that if you are TRUE British Citizen or even a "right
of abode in the United Kingdom" passport holder, the Indian consulate
doesn't really care - they will process and approve as a formailty.
That's my prediction.

Good luck.

purvi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have asked for the interview at the Mumbai consulate, bcos i have been
    > resident in india since the last 19 years.
    >
    > I didnt know that u r supposed to ask for the interview in the consulate
    > of ur country of nationality. In the I-129f, at the place where u write,
    > place of interview- i mentioned Mumbai and wrote a note that india is a
    > place of residence. Would this create any probs??? Has anyone else done
    > this kind of thing, ask for interview at a consulate other than in their
    > country of nationality?
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope i havent done the wrong thing

Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone dealing with the US consulate at Mumbai, India??

Originally posted by purvi
Hello everyone,

I am a british citizen, resident in india for many years. My fiance has filed for our K-1 visa in vermont and we have received NOA 1 on 11th july,03

I have asked for my interview to be held at the mumbai consulate.
What i wanted to know is that shuld i send in the packet #3 forms? so that they can open my provisional file and the process can be speeded up?if yes, addressed to whom? also i got the forms 169 and 230-I from the net shuld i fill in those or fill in the ones i have requested the mumbai consulate to send- havent received them yet!!! i had written 2 emails to mumbai consulate- no replies and have been callin on nos 2363-7407/08- getting busy signals all the times!!!

Wuld really appreciate any help/guidance in this matter!
Hi Purvi,
You got the right Embassy, you will be immigrating to the USA. Ergo, you want the US Embassy in Mumbai.
In my years on the board, we have not seen a case where a person of Indian origin, bearing a foreign passport passed thru and Indian Embassy.

We have seen Indian national's passing thru foreign posts, but yours will be the first of your kind here. For that reason, we and the posterity of this board, would appreciate if you keep updates on your case here.
There is a miasma of xenophobia floating about Mumbai Embassy and it shall be informative to see how you are viewed and interviewed.
Mr.ProfsnlOCMan is quite sure you are not one of the "huddled masses' of Indians {his quote}"escaping India through a potentially fraudulent relationship."...........You were warned of his mordant nature.

As for whether you should post your package #3, the BEST would be if you could go ASAP and deliver the forms you have downloaded at the Mumbai Embassy. They set their visa appointments and post to their web site monthly by approximately the middle of every month for the following month.
http://usembassy.state.gov/mumbai/wwwhappt.html

They do not open provisional files. They are notrious for not being available via phone and email, but that should not stop you from contacting them then going on your own accord.
Your fiance might consider emailing them before you go.

This is a copy of the email i sent preceding my fiance turning in his packet 3.
Addressed to [email protected]
Dear Sir/Madam:
Our Application for Fiance Visa I-129-F and the I-824 Application for Action on an Approved Application (Cable Transmission) were approved thru the Texas Service Center on August 6th, 2001.

I am sending a scanned copy along with this letter and my fiance will arrive at the information desk on Monday August 13th to receive the packet #3 and his BMB mumber. I am sending this scan as a courtesy as I understand that the cabled approval should be on your desk.

Data:
Petitioner...{her name}
Beneficiary...{your name}
DOB....{YOUR birthday,they sort you by BD}
ADDRESS..{Your address
TELE...and phone number}
receipt number for I129F....SRCXXXXXXXXX
Respectfully Yours,

Dr. tara

Best wishes,
Old Sep 6th 2003, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Purvi

I do agree with Tara that u will indeed be first of a kind . So naturally we would like to know how it turns out , so plz keep updating , and why not email the embassy and ask about ur british passport thing ?? maybe they will suggest something.
I wish u luck and be patient u will be fine
bye
Old Sep 6th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tara and Profsnlocman, thanks a lot... it really made me feel better to know that ( hopefully!!!) i shuldnt have a prob with the consulate at Mumbai.

I am of indian origin, have got british citizenship thru birth, was in UK till i was 5 and have been in india since then. My fiance is also of indian origin.

Makkabokka says that i have to turn in the packet # 3 only after the mumbai consulate sends it. am confused here, shuld i go ahead and hand over the completed packet#3 forms i have downloaded from the net? or shuld i wait for my NOA 2 to come and wait for the mumbai consulate to send me the packet #3 and then submit it to them?
Also i heard that they dont let u enter the mumbai consulate unless u have an appointment letter, so where do i have to give the packet 3?

I wuld definately keep u guys posted on how my case goes on.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by purvi
or shuld i wait for my NOA 2 to come and wait for the mumbai consulate to send me the packet #3 and then submit it to them?
Also i heard that they dont let u enter the mumbai consulate unless u have an appointment letter, so where do i have to give the packet 3?

I wuld definately keep u guys posted on how my case goes on.
Hi purvi,

Yes, wait until you have your NOA#2, the NOA #1 is just a notification that the service center has "received" the application, the NOA#2 is the "approval" of the application.

i would not however, wait for them to send the packet #3 by mail to you. My fiance handed in downloaded forms. And timing wise he got his packet #4 a week before their initial packet #3 made it to his Mumbai address!

You hand in the packet to the public desk, which is on the outside of the Embassy, so you do not need an appointment, but get there early so that you make it to the desk. The que can get large.

Sorry for confusing you.

I do not know how long approvals are taking out of Vermont, but the watch the board and you will get an estimation.

Best wishes,

Last edited by tara; Sep 6th 2003 at 8:52 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi purvi

Iam sorry for i can only tell u what i did and what happened with me so basically my knowledge is very less( i wish i had found this site long back , that would have same much of my time ) but on the other hand tara, amys and profsman and others have been here since long time and they have good knowledge about this stuff so i would advice u to take their advice more and just read my post as something which will make u ask more questions , sorry again
I just try to be helpful as much as i can
best of luck
Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Makkabokka, u r trying to help....its the thought that matters..
thanks
all the best for ur petition, hope u get together with ur loved one soon.